Northwestern athletics issues

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I bet the view from that stadium is pretty awesome. I mean it's Northwestern football, it's not like it's a serious thing. They play for a couple years in a stadium by the lake then move to a basically brand new stadium, seems like a decent deal.
I've been on a lot of college campuses and that stretch along the lake in the fall with the leaves turning and on the ground is among the prettiest I've seen. The practice stadium for games probably won't be a whole lot different from Ryan Field, hardly anybody there regardless. The new stadium is kind of weird IMO, very modern aesthetic, tall glass walls, etc., but it actually seats less than Ryan Field did.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I realize they don't draw a ton, but why not play at Soldier? Or even at the Red Stars new stadium (SeatGeek Stadium)?
Soldier Field may be expensive? Not to mention huge compared to the crowds they'd draw for most games. SeatGeek Stadium looks really far away, probably not ideal.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Soldier Field's turf can't hold up to 8 NFL games per year, no way they could nearly double that without creating huge safety issues for the players.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I am a former Northwestern Football Season Ticket holder and fan, so not being snarky.

They should work out a deal and play games in the Chicago Public League Stadiums.

Would be good for Public Relations in Chicago.

Go U! NU!

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Soldier Field may be expensive? Not to mention huge compared to the crowds they'd draw for most games. SeatGeek Stadium looks really far away, probably not ideal.
The Wildcats opened the ‘96 season at Soldier Field against Oklahoma and the crowd was sparse. This after all the hype and momentum coming off the 95 Rose Bowl team with a lot of guys back. I was in grad school at NW at the time and went to a lot of games. Soldier is way too big for NW.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The Wildcats opened the ‘96 season at Soldier Field against Oklahoma and the crowd was sparse. This after all the hype and momentum coming off the 95 Rose Bowl team with a lot of guys back. I was in grad school at NW at the time and went to a lot of games. Soldier is way too big for NW.
That was my first Northwestern Game! 24-0 over the Sooners IIRC. :)

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Doesn't NIU still play football? They may need the stadium for their own games.
They do but it would be easy to play some Thursday/Fridays and/or opposite weekends.

It's an hour and a half away but I don't know how you get much closer with the approximate size you need but it looks like they're good with what they're doing so that's that.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They do but it would be easy to play some Thursday/Fridays and/or opposite weekends.

It's an hour and a half away but I don't know how you get much closer with the approximate size you need but it looks like they're good with what they're doing so that's that.

NIU probably wouldn't mind the money, and your right, its not that far away. I grew up east of Dekalb and going to Chicago was like an hour drive from my house, mostly due to traffic. Dekalb isn't that big of a deal from Chicago.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron