Non-Electric Lawnmowers

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I will buy new not used as I assume anything priced too good to be true used has issues. I have a neighbor down the street that bought one the other yesterday that loves it and a friend who is an engineer that owns one that has gave me his honest opinion and likes his too. I think like any machine you need to properly maintain it to get good life out of it.
Have you bought one and used it? From what I've read down the rabbit hole that the newer ones do hold up, even professionals use the non professional models. Same research I did made me conclude older versions had weak transmissions and undersized engines, but both issues now resolved. Mixed reviews on cutting performance.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Have you bought one and used it? From what I've read down the rabbit hole that the newer ones do hold up, even professionals use the non professional models. Same research I did made me conclude older versions had weak transmissions and undersized engines, but both issues now resolved. Mixed reviews on cutting performance.
Funny you post this as I was about to dig up this thread. Bought a Toro Timemaster a few days ago and mowed today with it for the 1st time. First impressions its a solid machine. What took me up to 90 minutes to mow with my old 21" mower I knocked out in 40 minutes today. Took me a bit to adjust to the personal pace self propel when I have been used to mowing with a mower with no self propel. I have a friend that owns a Timemaster for several years and he says his eats gas so be prepared to run out during your mow. I have a .28 acre lot and did not run out of gas on a full tank.

I mowed today in mulch mode. My lawn is pretty uneven right now so was more about knocking it down as I probably wont have a free day to mow for another week with our family schedule, It didn't struggle when I hit the spots that have thick grass because its a low area that my 21" mower I had to creep through.

It comes with a 3 year warranty so I hope I won't have to use that. This replaces my 21" Craftsman mower I bought in 2004 when I bought my first house so I got a pretty good run out of that mower for 20 years and still have it in my garage as a backup. I do think that a lot of longevity issues with small engines is taking care of them with proper maintantence. Draining the fuel before winter and changing the oil and air filter regularly helps with the longevity.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Funny you post this as I was about to dig up this thread. Bought a Toro Timemaster a few days ago and mowed today with it for the 1st time. First impressions its a solid machine. What took me up to 90 minutes to mow with my old 21" mower I knocked out in 40 minutes today. Took me a bit to adjust to the personal pace self propel when I have been used to mowing with a mower with no self propel. I have a friend that owns a Timemaster for several years and he says his eats gas so be prepared to run out during your mow. I have a .28 acre lot and did not run out of gas on a full tank.

I mowed today in mulch mode. My lawn is pretty uneven right now so was more about knocking it down as I probably wont have a free day to mow for another week with our family schedule, It didn't struggle when I hit the spots that have thick grass because its a low area that my 21" mower I had to creep through.

It comes with a 3 year warranty so I hope I won't have to use that. This replaces my 21" Craftsman mower I bought in 2004 when I bought my first house so I got a pretty good run out of that mower for 20 years and still have it in my garage as a backup. I do think that a lot of longevity issues with small engines is taking care of them with proper maintantence. Draining the fuel before winter and changing the oil and air filter regularly helps with the longevity.
Did you get the 10 hp version? Now you have to get the striping kit for it. :)

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

For a small engine your commandments are as follows. These are listed in order of importance; 1 & 2 are the most important, 3 is next:
  1. Drain or empty fuel at end of season. If using non-ethanol fuel if your model has a fuel shutoff draining/running the carburetor out should suffice.
  2. Use non-ethanol fuel if at all possible.
  3. Keep oil full. Check it before each use (okay, check it fairly often). Low oil is the #1 killer of motors.
  4. Follow break in oil change procedure, Even better change oil after initial use.
  5. Change oil and air filter at same time regularly/seasonally depending on use.
This is something I can claim enough experience on, while not a professional I have repaired more than I can number for friends and family not following the above.

I am impressed by the 90min to 40min time reduction.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
For a small engine your commandments are as follows. These are listed in order of importance; 1 & 2 are the most important, 3 is next:
  1. Drain or empty fuel at end of season. If using non-ethanol fuel if your model has a fuel shutoff draining/running the carburetor out should suffice.
  2. Use non-ethanol fuel if at all possible.
  3. Keep oil full. Check it before each use (okay, check it fairly often). Low oil is the #1 killer of motors.
  4. Follow break in oil change procedure, Even better change oil after initial use.
  5. Change oil and air filter at same time regularly/seasonally depending on use.
This is something I can claim enough experience on, while not a professional I have repaired more than I can number for friends and family not following the above.

I am impressed by the 90min to 40min time reduction.
Part of it is that old mower was a bit under powered when grass was tall and thick so had to go at a slower pace. 90 mins was probably on the long end but pretty sure going from a 21" to 30" mower is going to cut about 30+ minutes off my mow time now

Reactions: herbicide

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron