No talk on ticket prices?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm surprised that no one is talking about the rise in ticket prices per game.

6 home games
South Dakota State
Kent State
Kansas
Nebraska
Texas A&M
Missouri

$58/ticket

I think this may be the year that I skip season tickets and just buy single game. In the past, I would just say "yes we suck but it's cheap entertainment". This is no longer the case.

Maybe I'm just tight or something but I have a hard time justifying at least $1,500/year just to tailgate.

It's going to be hard for me to do this considering I haven't missed a game since the early 90's, been to all the bowls (except Boise), etc.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If you've been coming since the early 90's, you've seen a lot worse football than you saw last year-hang in there it's going to turn.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Keep in mind as well, there are no singles for NU - except $60 hillsides (??)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'll still go the games but my choice is either to keep my season tickets and cough up $1,500 or buy hillside tickets and pay maybe $200. I could also take the rest of the money and plan a trip to the UNLV game.

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
To me there is no increase in price.

It helps me to look at it as an investment in the future of ISU football instead of breaking down the cost per game and asking if it is worth the price.

I would rather spend more money on a team with potential and a future than less on a team with no potential and no future.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
From another thread:

Ticket Prices*:

CU: 355 for 6 games (59.17 per game + no required donation over 300 dollars for any regular seat)
ISU: 350 for 6 games (58.33 per game)
OSU: 359 for 7 games (51.29 per game)
Texas: 355 for 7 games (50.71 per game)
TT: 290 for 6 games (48.33 per game)
NU: 364 for 8 games (45.50 per game)
MU: 266 for 6 games (44.33 per game + they have a 440 dollar family ticket that gets 2 adults and 3 kids in to games)
KSU: 300 for 7 games (42.86 per game)
KU: 275 for 7 games (39.29 per game)
OU: Not Listed
BU: Not Listed
A&M Not Listed

Of the schools that aren't listed, I think only A&M and OU would have higher ticket prices than ISU and as it was pointed out, they likely have a lot higher donation requirements for season tickets.

However, if you look at this list, you can see a couple of things:

ISU charges MUCH more per game than most other Big 12 north schools with the exception of CU and it isn't even close. Average ticket price for the other 5 north teams is 46.23. Other than Nebraska I know that the donation requirements aren't any tougher than ISU's and also I know that most DON'T have as big of seat donation requirements. At TT they only have 4 sections of a required 300 dollar donation. 90% of the stadium is $200 donation or less requirement.

Listen, I don't have a problem with the ticket prices. I think it's something ISU has to do to be competitive. But, I also know for a fact that there are people being effected by this. Two years ago I had season tickets with a group of 10 people. Last year it was 4. We're hoping to get some more friends to get tickets with us but it might not and probably won't happen.

I just get tired of the sunshine pumpers blowing smoke up my butt about ticket prices. They ARE expensive compared to the rest of the Big 12, unless you're counting OU, NU, UT, and A&M which probably have higher donation requirements (although I don't think A&M does - most of their donors are 100 dollar donors).

Also, even if schools like KU and MU decided to increase ticket prices next year, (there is still time for them to do so) I highly doubt either of them do it to increase their average ticket price by more than 10 dollars, leaving us with a bigger average per ticket just as big or bigger seat donation requirements. And both of those schools are coming off some of the best year's in their history.

*ALL INFORMATION TAKEN FROM SCHOOL'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE TICKET INFORMATION.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
But last year they told us they were raising prices to be in line with the big12... now ISU is the highest... Market conditions will catch up soon. They either need to put a better product on the field or people will not pay the highest in the big12 to watch this anymore.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
When Chizik gets this baby turned around, it'll make it that much sweeter to say I was in it through the tough times

That's where I am with this...... I have been increasing my giving steadily over the past few years and buying more tickets, to the point where I go in for $5,000+ a year (NCC, MBB, FB). I'm hoping one of these days soon, GMac and Chiz will make it worth my "investment."

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Colorado also had home games with Colorado State, Florida State, OU, and Nebraska.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
It'll be interesting to see how things look this fall when another hike of ticket prices is accompanied by the seat realignment.

Not only are the tickets among the highest in the conference, but the cost for people to keep their seats could be going up. Signficantly in some cases.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
But last year they told us they were raising prices to be in line with the big12... now ISU is the highest... Market conditions will catch up soon. They either need to put a better product on the field or people will not pay the highest in the big12 to watch this anymore.

We're one of the highest this year because we only play 6 home games. Do you really expect them to adjust the price of season tickets based on the number of home games every year?

Like another poster already pointed out: we are investing in the future of ISU football. Now, in 3 years if we're still fielding sub 500 teams, I'll be on the top of the list of people complaining.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We're one of the highest this year because we only play 6 home games. Do you really expect them to adjust the price of season tickets based on the number of home games every year?

Like another poster already pointed out: we are investing in the future of ISU football. Now, in 3 years if we're still fielding sub 500 teams, I'll be on the top of the list of people complaining.

A lot of schools do adjust their season ticket prices for the number of games.

I understand what you're saying in your second paragraph - however, I've buying 2007 season tickets. I'm not buying 3 years from now season tickets.

To me there is no increase in price.

Clearly you weren't an accounting major.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
BTW-I'm not complaining about Chizik or the football team at all. They had the season I thought they would.

To me it all comes down to whether you think winning requires you to spend or increased money comes from winning. With every other product I can think of you have to deliver the goods before you charge more than your competitors.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
As mentioned in the other thread, the scary thing about not adjusting for 6 games from 7, is that is sets JP up to really jack up prices in 2009 when we have 7 games back on the schedule.

Probably can expect to be paying over $400 then, particularly with iowa back on the slate.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
It'll be interesting to see how things look this fall when another hike of ticket prices is accompanied by the seat realignment.

Not only are the tickets among the highest in the conference, but the cost for people to keep their seats could be going up. Signficantly in some cases.

Yep, it should be a wild ride this spring when people really get wind of what is going on. I think our section is going cardinal, which is great, and i know most people in there do no donate, so it should be fun to see it.

I am not sure if we will try and keep our seats or go to gold and really try and get an upgrade.