No No: A Dockumentary

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Just got done watching this on netflix. It's the story of Dock Ellis, a MLB pitcher. What a crazy roller coaster story. I consider myself a fairly versed baseball guy but I have never heard this this story before. Very interesting film. Not sad I watched it. I am a guy that has a past of dabbling in certain things and it's insane what he did while doing the things he did.

Not a link to the movie. http://www.nonoadockumentary.com/

"On June 12, 1970, Dock Ellis threw a no-hitter for the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 136 years of baseball history, only 276 no-hitters have been recorded. Dock is the only pitcher to ever claim he accomplished his while high on LSD.During his 12 years in the major leagues, Dock lived the expression "Black is Beautiful!" He wore curlers on the field. He stepped out of his Cadillac wearing the widest bell bottoms and the broadest collars. When he put on his uniform, he was one of the most intimidating pitchers of the 1970s.
Dock was often at the forefront of controversy and has been called the “Muhammad Ali of Baseball.â€￾ He was an outspoken leader of a new wave of civil rights in sports, when black athletes were no longer content to accept second-class treatment or keep their mouths shut about indignities. For this, the press labeled him a militant.
After Dock retired from baseball, he was as outspoken about his addictions to alcohol and amphetamines (aka “greeniesâ€￾) as he had been about racial prejudice during his career. He spent his last decades using that blunt honesty as a counselor helping other addicts, until his death from liver disease in 2008.
Since then, the Internet has fueled the legend of Dock Ellis. This will be the first time his legend - and the story of the man behind it - will be told in a feature film."

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just watched it the other night (as well as a lot of 30 for 30 and ESPN Films lately). Was pretty good and had a great 70s vibe to it. Interesting story.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
Just watched it the other night (as well as a lot of 30 for 30 and ESPN Films lately). Was pretty good and had a great 70s vibe to it. Interesting story.
I just couldn't believe I never heard the story or tidbits of it before. Im not out to pasture but I'm also not wet behind the ears, especially when it comes to baseball.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I didn't know the story either, and it caught my eye on Netflix, as I'm sure it did for you. I've really been getting into sports documentaries lately.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
My brother toldme about this guy but I wasn't ever sure the lsd thing was true. Love my brother but he sometimes misses details.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I started watching that doc about Dock a couple times in the past few days, got interrupted by pragmatic matters both times.

Looks intriguing (and it appears there's more "depth" to his story beyond the in-game tripping).

To show how history can get mangled — for years, I had heard the LSD-no hitter story associated with Vida Blue.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Just finished it and it's definitely worth a watch. A lot deeper than I expected a documentary about a guy who pitched a no no on acid to be :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron