NBA: Nike, Adidas & UA ALL pass on Lonzo Ball deal

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I wasn't sure where else to post this. Deadspin has posted a video of 15 year-old LaMelo Ball self-destructing on the court in a 50-point loss over the weekend.
http://deadspin.com/they-cant-all-be-92-point-games-1795651818

I'm sure many will be quick to say that this shouldn't have been recorded let alone posted on a site as frequently visited as Deadspin, as a parent this was my initial reaction, but the author was quick to point out his justification for posting. Quote below:

In our staff chatroom this morning, we kicked around the question of whether posting a 15-year-old’s lowlight reel is morally or ethically bad, a question which in this case is complicated somewhat by the fact that the 15-year-old is this 15-year-old. After all, we happily posted a highlight reel of Ball’s 92-point game a few months back, a fact which is itself complicated by the degree to which everything LaMelo and his big brothers Lonzo and LiAngelo do is basically just viral marketing for their dad’s shoe brand/spiral-eyed vicarious life do-over attempt.

After much careful consideration and personal introspection, I have concluded that a teen baller feeling himself, pulling up from outer space, and banging the ball off the backboard like six miles from the rim is objectively newsworthy no matter the teen, because it’s funny whenever a teen forgets the remaining distance between the teen he is and the adult he wants to be and/or that the adult he wants to be is a fantasy creation that almost certainly could never exist. If we cannot laugh at teens on the front page of internet media organs, what the hell is the point of having a free press.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
After seeing some highlights of this kids ******** antics on the court I feel like an article like this might be the best thing for him. The kid needs some humility otherwise he's going to flame out and it won't be pretty.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
This is yet another example of Lamar hurting his kids.
I'm sure you could find similar videos on tons of AAU kids that think they're better than they really are; taking bad shots, airballs, turnovers, etc.

But the only reason people are talking about this particular video, is because of Lamar. His 15 year old kid is being mocked online because his father is an idiot.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I wasn't sure where else to post this. Deadspin has posted a video of 15 year-old LaMelo Ball self-destructing on the court in a 50-point loss over the weekend.
http://deadspin.com/they-cant-all-be-92-point-games-1795651818

I'm sure many will be quick to say that this shouldn't have been recorded let alone posted on a site as frequently visited as Deadspin, as a parent this was my initial reaction, but the author was quick to point out his justification for posting. Quote below:
I watched it on twitter, the kid is a giant cry baby. Honestly I think Lonzo will probably be the only one who makes it in the nba. LaMelo and LiAngelo are system players

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is yet another example of Lamar hurting his kids.
I'm sure you could find similar videos on tons of AAU kids that think they're better than they really are; taking bad shots, airballs, turnovers, etc.

But the only reason people are talking about this particular video, is because of Lamar. His 15 year old kid is being mocked online because his father is an idiot.

Well, also that BS 92-point game fiasco crap and you get other better coached AAU teams some motivation to actually play some defense which it looks like they did in that game. Just deserts for that family. LOL

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Lonzo seems like a good kid based off of interviews and things he posts on social media. LaMelo is like Lavar in how cocky they are. If Lonzo flames out, Lavar will still be front and center as LaMelo is a guy who will be right with Lavar in touting how great he will be.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Lonzo seems like a good kid based off of interviews and things he posts on social media. LaMelo is like Lavar in how cocky they are. If Lonzo flames out, Lavar will still be front and center as LaMelo is a guy who will be right with Lavar in touting how great he will be.

Yep. it's always going to be about Lavar. I don't necessarily feel bad for Lonzo, but I do think it's crazy that the guy who is arguably the best facilitator and most unselfish player at the top of the draft is the guy also mosty likely to be a distraction in the locker room through no fault of his own. I wonder how long it'll be before he tells Lavar to butt out and shut up. The sooner the better.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm torn.

LaMelo is obviously a product of Lavar, so I feel a little sorry for him for the way he's turned out. His father/role model is an attention-seeking douchecanoe.

That being said, he's over-the-top and knows what he's doing and needs to return to earth.

With what Lavar created, I hope the kid can reign it in. Not knowing how to deal with failure is a dangerous road, especially for that a 15 year-old kid with that kind of personality and guidance.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
FYI the Barnstormers beat the Compton Magic by 10 a few weeks ago. Other link Bryce Dejaun Jones is a Compton Magic player.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
How did that kid score 92 in a game? Were they playing a bunch of kindergarten kids?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
How did that kid score 92 in a game? Were they playing a bunch of kindergarten kids?

He cherry-picked, played little defense and many times never made it past half court. It was ridiculous. If I was the other coach, I would have been pissed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron