Next head coach after Bill Fennelly?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Again with that said the question is is he capable of knowing when is the time to move on.
Depending how this COVID stuff shakes out there may not be any coaches being removed any time soon. It's a virtual certainty revenues are going to fall. They aren't going to be able to raise ticket prices any time soon. You're going to lose a not insignificant amount of donations. Buyouts are going to be hard to stomach.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I do think part of the appeal of coaching at ISU is that Jamie has a good relationship with his coaches. It helps attract coaches, but also might make it harder for him to make those tough decisions. Jamie has been open on podcasts from last year that he doesn’t want to do hair triggered firings so ISU doesn’t lose any appeal with coaches that might otherwise view ISU as a tough place to win
Not a Jamie worshipper that others on here are, but this is very true IMO.
For example, back when we were winning more in women's VB, Christy received numerous overtures from bigger VB programs, but her relationship with Pollard was big in her staying at ISU.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
While JP hasn’t always been successful with his hires, it’s important to remove the hindsight lens when looking back.

Chizik was the top assistant in the country, and Mack Brown had given him his highest recommendation. Many people were impressed that ISU had been able to land him. His issue was he wasn’t a good fit and hired his buddies. And even if he had an eye on another job I don’t think Jamie expected him to bolt after two years.

McDermott was considered a good hire at the time; KSU wanted him too. He recruited well while he was here. Honestly it’s somewhat baffling he couldn’t pull it together here, considering he’s been successful everywhere else he’s coached. He’s shown to be a better fit at Creighton than ISU.

Rhoads ended up not working out, but was what the fans wanted after Chiz bolted. His first few years were fun and brought us some nice moments, which helped build up the fan base and donor base for someone like Campbell to take over.

Fred was risky, but a home run. JP deserves credit for taking that chance. Fred failing at ISU would’ve meant JP would have been sent packing as well.

Prohm has been struggling, but I don’t think it was considered a bad hire at the time. From what I remember it sounds like SP interviewed well which would sway most hiring managers.

Chiz was considered a hot property at the time he was hired at ISU, but there wasn't enough consideration to him being a cultural fit at ISU, his ability to hire competent staff and the fact that he was a DC without HC experience like McCarney was. And those staffing and "DC without HC experience" issues were compounded with the completely baffling hire of CPR which predictably didn't work out for the long term.

I do agree with you on GMac. A very good hire that didn't work for several reasons. One was his personal relationships with players (which he greatly improved upon at Creighton) and the other biggie was his inability to recruit a B12 quality pass first PG that could best run his offense.

Due to the timing of Fred's departure, the pool of available interested coaches was greatly reduced when Prohm was hired. Prohm was arguably the best of those interviewed but in highsight, it would have been a better move to roll the dice with Otz but Leath (and some key boosters) wanted the replacement to have prior HC experience and that was understandable on their end.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Not the same situation, but

Yeah, I think if Bill really wants Billy, he is trying to get him a head job NOW so he can have some cred when Bill leaves. I'm sure tough due to Lyndsey's ties locally, etc.

That plan could also backfire...he goes and isn't successfull...then no way he gets the ISU look.
Probably tougher to let the grandkids move out of town.

Reactions: CapnCy

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Maybe just me but none of the current coaches excite me. Steyer and Schaben should have IMO had head coaching offers (maybe they turned them down) Billy would be the same issue that we make fun of Brian Ferentz. Honestly without knowing their talent levels I’d rather have Steven as he’s been outside of the program.
Billy has served time elsewhere, both at Northwestern and with Frese out east. I don't see Sr. going anywhere for at least five years. Geno is 67 and he isn't quitting. With this group coming on to supplement Ashley and Maggie, Jr. has an opportunity on the recruiting side to make it hard for JP to go outside the family.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron