New Oskaloosa brewery steal Peace Tree's beer name?

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Doubling their space as in production alone, or some more tap room space?
Did they acquire space adjacent to their part of the building?

yes (production canning line) to the east with ideas of buying a smaller sized space to the east of this new one! Less parking spots used by non beer drinkers is good news for drivers, I live basically across the street & up the hill so I ride my bike 9 times out of 10.

I did drive yesterday for their Weiss Grip golden keg & saw a hole in the wall between the bathrooms. They had to put a larger grease trap in (beer if food so the grease trap is required, dumb!) & got some details... The outdoor pouring, canning & overall space is a good sign to me

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I mean, Blonde Fatale won a gold medal in the World Beer Cup a few years back and many other awards...but yeah man, sure.

I've got lots of opinions on this subject, especially as a beer snob. Once I have a free minute today, I'll chime in with more detail.

I really like Blonde Fatale for what it is, and No Coast is a good beer too.

The rest I've had from them weren't stellar. Just 'meh.' And not the 'Meh' like from 515!

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I really like Blonde Fatale for what it is, and No Coast is a good beer too.

The rest I've had from them weren't stellar. Just 'meh.' And not the 'Meh' like from 515!
I completely agree. I really don't care for much of their core beers, but I feel like they really get a bad rap from beer snobs. Sidekick (Sure Shot now?) is an awesome kolsch, Soundcheck was a pretty nice session, Kiss From A Gose...awesome, Indecision was a really nice BIPA too. Too many nerds are expecting every brewery to be cranking out killer IPA after killer IPA like TG and Pulpit Rock.

That being said, I feel like too many new Iowa breweries are launching with absolutely no imagination. NoCoast is launching with an amber, a blonde, and some other blah homebrew styles. The last thing Iowa needs is more Fox Valley Brew.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Iowa is a small enough state, specially craft brewery wise, where I can see why PT is a little upset about this. But I think they went a little overboard here with calling them out so publicly. They should have reached out privately first and tried to hash something out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I see both sides of the argument. On one hand, Peace Tree has worked hard to build up a "No Coast" brand, and with the new brewery being so close, there is ample room to mistake the two. You can imagine going to a liquor store and asking for "No Coast" and getting the wrong thing, or trying the "new" No Coast and not liking it and associating Peace Tree with it.

I can also understand, though, that there are ample opportunities to protect intellectual property in this company, and it's hard to complain when you don't do you diligence to protect yourself.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
As much as I love IPAs, I like it when a brewery focuses on something else.

But I'd have to agree with the sentiment here that the idea of another amber-blonde-stout-pale line up isn't really pushing me to give a **** about a brewery basing off that model.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Musco HQ is in Muscatine. Been to the plant a hundred times. They also have McDonalds in Osky, but I don't think they 're responsible for the empire. Osky is only topped in ******** per capita by Pella.
Holy crap did someone from Osky steal your job and your wife?

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
As others have stated, NoCoast Brewery could've picked a much better name but PeaceTree is making a bigger deal out of this than they should too.

When I'm drinking with people, I don't think I've ever heard someone say "I'll have an Exile" or "...a Millstream" or "...a PeaceTree". They ask for a "Ruthie", "Back Road Stout", or a "Red Rambler". If someone orders a "No Coast", they should expect to get PeaceTree's version. Now if I'm a bartender in Dubuque and someone asks for a "No Coast", I wouldn't know whether to give them the PeaceTree version or remind them they are in Iowa and we can't serve New Glarus here.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I spent quite a bit of time in or near Wisconsin and I've never once heard someone refer to Moon Man as "No Coast". It's always "Moon Man". Everyone realizes it's a descriptor.

Prairie has a beer that's tagline is "a Midwest Farmhouse ale" and no one calls it a "Midwest".

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I spent quite a bit of time in or near Wisconsin and I've never once heard someone refer to Moon Man as "No Coast". It's always "Moon Man". Everyone realizes it's a descriptor.

Prairie has a beer that's tagline is "a Midwest Farmhouse ale" and no one calls it a "Midwest".

Exactly. I've never heard the descriptor used with moon man before. It's just moon man. It's not even close to the same situation here.

I'm not sure why they thought ripping off a name from another brewer right down the road would be a good idea. I don't see this playing out well for them.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Iowa is a small enough state, specially craft brewery wise, where I can see why PT is a little upset about this. But I think they went a little overboard here with calling them out so publicly. They should have reached out privately first and tried to hash something out.

You must not have read their letter because she said she reached out to them last week.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
You can imagine going to a liquor store and asking for "No Coast" and getting the wrong thing, or trying the "new" No Coast and not liking it and associating Peace Tree with it.
This is literally the only thing that matters and why Peace Tree is making a big deal out of it.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
In my opinion, without Blonde Fatale, there would be no reason for Peace Tree Brewery. Blonde Fatale is also quite a bit better from the tap, than from the bottle.

Having said that, even though Blonde Fatale is supposed to be a Belgian Style Golden Ale, it is really a poor imitation of an actual Belgian brewed Golden Ale.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Musco HQ is in Muscatine. Been to the plant a hundred times. They also have McDonalds in Osky, but I don't think they 're responsible for the empire. Osky is only topped in ******** per capita by Pella.

Musco HQ is, in fact, in Oskaloosa. My sister-in-law works HR for them, but if you want you are more than welcome to conduct a simple google search to confirm. I encourage you to tour the Musco facilities in Oskaloosa. You will see that there is a lot of "big brain" stuff going on in there. It is pretty fascinating too! And hey now, while we do have our fair share of tavern hawks and blow hards (most communities in SE Iowa do), there is no need to compare us with the "holier-than-thou city" that is Pella. :)