"New Look" Big XII MBB next year

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Just got to thinking about it now that the coaching drama is coming to a close and we can actually start to look forward to this season. Lots of changes coming this year:

- New shot clock, restricted arc and timeout rules from NCAA (faster tempo - ISU-ball for all)
- Texas has a new coach in Shaka Smart
- ISU has a new coach in Steve Prohm
- K-State has a lame duck coach and no team (Weber is gone next year, IMHO)

Lots of new faces on the recruiting side as well - should be a great and entertaining season. Given all of this, who wins the Big XII next year?

I'm going with:
ISU (Reg Season and Conference Champs)
Kansas
Oklahoma
Baylor
WV
Texas
TCU
OSU
TTech
Kansas State

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Never discount Bill Self. They're the favorites every pre-season until they finally break their streak.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Mr. Prohm will achieve insta-god status if he wins the Big 12 regular season and conference tourney title in Year 1.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Mr. Prohm will achieve insta-god status if he wins the Big 12 regular season and conference tourney title in Year 1.

Nah, I don't think so. Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy aren't revered as gods at ISU. Now, if Prohm takes ISU to the Final Four in year one...

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
That's not happening. KU is now firmly the favorite once again for everything.

They may be the favorite but are they a consensus preseason top-10 team? They don't have the seniors that we do, sure they have a great coach and excellent recruits but you don't think ISU has the horses to beat them and beat them HARD?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They may be the favorite but are they a consensus preseason top-10 team? They don't have the seniors that we do, sure they have a great coach and excellent recruits but you don't think ISU has the horses to beat them and beat them HARD?

This is about as veteran of a team as you can get at KU.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Kansas has to be the favorite after the recruiting class he ended up with this year. While we were watching our coaching search play out I thought I saw where he got a top 25 guard added to the list. Not sure of the name.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Kansas has to be the favorite after the recruiting class he ended up with this year. While we were watching our coaching search play out I thought I saw where he got a top 25 guard added to the list. Not sure of the name.
LaGerald Vick

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
New look Big 12? What is new about KU winning the title? Next year KU will win the conference by a wide margin imo.

While our recruiting was absolutely tanked by Hoiberg and Abdelmassih, KU added several players we could only dream of landing to a team that was already better than ISU.

We overachieved a bit last year, lost Hogue and did not add any difference makers.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
This might sound crazy because he was on the team last year, but I think Nader will be a difference maker. Also we add Cooke and Burton.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'll bet anyone that KU wins it again. I sense a trend. :)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It'll come down to just random nonsense again, just like it did last year.

We don't do any two of these things...

(*) let Baylor drain threes on us for five minutes straight in Hilton

(*) LOSE TO ******* TEXAS TECH (in Lubbock, but still)

(*) throw the ball away at the end of the game against K-State

(*) not have Georges miss the winner at Baylor/pass it out to BDJ for a better look/not have them score that last basket/have the ref actually call the push-off on Monte

...and we win the conference outright.

We'll be in that position again. So will OU, in their own ways. Just gotta do it this time.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
New look Big 12? What is new about KU winning the title? Next year KU will win the conference by a wide margin imo.

While our recruiting was absolutely tanked by Hoiberg and Abdelmassih, KU added several players we could only dream of landing to a team that was already better than ISU.

We overachieved a bit last year, lost Hogue and did not add any difference makers.

I'm not sleeping on Deonte. Plus full year of McKay not coming off 1 1/2 years without competitive ball.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I'm not sleeping on Deonte. Plus full year of McKay not coming off 1 1/2 years without competitive ball.
Yes, certainly reasons to be optimistic about those two improving. Same with Nader. I am high on Cooke, assuming the injuries did not derail his improvement from his freshman year.

But in the context of a "new Big 12" KU has several returning guys for which hopes for improvement are just as valid, add a great class, and were already better.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Hate to say it, but KU has to be the favorite. As much as I love our team, KU has three 5-star players. And worst yet, none of the three may even start. Now, let's go knock 'em off. I wonder if Prohm has any idea about the intensity of the KU/ISU rivalry?

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Hate to say it, but KU has to be the favorite. As much as I love our team, KU has three 5-star players. And worst yet, none of the three may even start. Now, let's go knock 'em off. I wonder if Prohm has any idea about the intensity of the KU/ISU rivalry?

When you get bonuses in your contract for beating KU, yes I think he'll be aware.

NOTE: just basing this off of Fred's contract. We don't know Prohm's yet but I'm guessing it's similar.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008

attachment.php

Attachments

• VCSVSKJPWHKDHJM.20150129155749.jpg
    VCSVSKJPWHKDHJM.20150129155749.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron