New highrise?

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Five stories is about as much of a high rise as you will get in Ames. Keep in mind that a modern five story building is almost as tall as the towers which are 10 stories.

I think it's a good idea, some of those buildings along there need to be replaced. I also think that putting a small grocery store on Welch would be a great idea- much closer for the majority of students.

Reactions: Haverhill

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
The Fire station needs to move. Why anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. How a drunk hasn't gotten hit yet is unbelievable. Build a new fire station and turn that place into a bar. Now that would be awesome!

I've heard this plan before and I'll believe it when I see it. The same goes for the new mall and even updating the campus town courtyard. The city of Ames hates the university, but what they fail to realize is that Ames would be State Center if it weren't for ISU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A parking garage is well needed somewhere in campustown to accomodate any of this- the 20 parking spots for 88 bedrooms, the 'ped mall' concept for welch, or a hotel. Other areas have this, why not ames?

heshwar

Apr 11, 2006
No there is not. I grew up in Ames, I'm well aware of what goes on every day of the year. I agree with the things that people want, I think they would be great. However, from a business perspective they aren't realistic. A B&B (or small hotel) might be nice in campus town, but still the vacancy rate would be so high you probably wouldn't make any money. The reason why the hotels are by the the interstate is because travelers passing by stay there and they can stay in business.

I am not sure on the vacancy rates going all summer but I agree there is a lot more going on that you might think. Every summer there are probably hundreds of weddings. Iowa games, special olympics, orientation, its not football season for sure but there are still quite a few visitors to Ames. But all that doesn't mean you aren't right about the vacancy rates.

heshwar

Apr 11, 2006
The Fire station needs to move. Why anyone thought that was a good idea is beyond me. How a drunk hasn't gotten hit yet is unbelievable. Build a new fire station and turn that place into a bar. Now that would be awesome!

I've heard this plan before and I'll believe it when I see it. The same goes for the new mall and even updating the campus town courtyard. The city of Ames hates the university, but what they fail to realize is that Ames would be State Center if it weren't for ISU.

Technically it would be Nevada:wink:

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
A parking garage is well needed somewhere in campustown to accomodate any of this- the 20 parking spots for 88 bedrooms, the 'ped mall' concept for welch, or a hotel. Other areas have this, why not ames?

Because we're Iowa state and we settle for mediocrity or whatever lies below mediocrity. Put a parking garage in the present 'Lot 60' on Hayward.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Why would the university build a parking garage in lot 60? In many ways, it is a useless place for a parking lot of ISU and it is already the scourge of the university.

You know how many vandalisms and OWIs and public intoxes are picked up in lot 60 every week? They need to build the garage by Friley.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Why would the university build a parking garage in lot 60? In many ways, it is a useless place for a parking lot of ISU and it is already the scourge of the university.

You know how many vandalisms and OWIs and public intoxes are picked up in lot 60 every week? They need to build the garage by Friley.

A lot 60 garage could be used by the people in apartments in Campustown, and people in Union Drive (Friley, Helser, Eaton, Martin). Lot 60 currently has huge demand for students because of it's proximity to these places. When the only other options are Towers and Stadium, lot 60 is by far the best option.

The fire station could also be located on the first level of a parking garage at lot 60.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
A lot 60 garage could be used by the people in apartments in Campustown, and people in Union Drive (Friley, Helser, Eaton, Martin). Lot 60 currently has huge demand for students because of it's proximity to these places. When the only other options are Towers and Stadium, lot 60 is by far the best option.

The fire station could also be located on the first level of a parking garage at lot 60.

Damn, that's a good idea. Move the firestation there.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

I still don't see how that is a benefit to the university. Not saying it's a bad idea- just saying that the university has no reason for building a garage there. If the university was going to build a garage, it would be on the west side of Friley, not somewhere that it could benefit campus town. If it belonged to Ames, I could see it, but the university is not going to sell that piece of land and they sure aren't going to build a parking garage for campustown.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
It kills me every person who thinks they know anything about Ames because they came from Population327, IA and they spent 5 years getting drunk there so therefore they are experts on Ames, its residents, and what needs to be done.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure the garage would pay itself off with parking permits, etc., within a few years.

I've never looked at a parking garage as a money maker given the land and construction cost involved. My understanding is that most are either subsidized or losing investments. It's a catch 22 situation - the higher the urban density and steady parking demand, the higher the alternative value of the land the facility sits on.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
It kills me every person who thinks they know anything about Ames because they came from Population327, IA and they spent 5 years getting drunk there so therefore they are experts on Ames, its residents, and what needs to be done.

Please enlighten us with your knowledge.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
88 bedrooms and 20 parking spots... Something doesn't add up...

Only 28 units though, and they said they would add 8 spots from the Legacy tower. Each unit gets 1 parking space. Pretty tough to allocate more than that in the Campustown area.

Roommates get to bare-knuckle box over the parking stall I guess.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
You're right someone needs to build a hotel on Welch Avenue. Let me know when you get the financing all lined up for your cash cow.

I don't think there needs to be a hotel on Welch Ave, you must have me confused with someone else. You made it clear that no one knows anything on this board, so I was just asking you to enlighten us idiots with your vast knowledge on Ames and its needs.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I don't think there needs to be a hotel on Welch Ave, you must have me confused with someone else. You made it clear that no one knows anything on this board, so I was just asking you to enlighten us idiots with your vast knowledge on Ames and its needs.

It was in direct reference to the conversation at hand, the "New highrise" which led to a topic of a hotel in campus town. Try to keep up.

Reactions: HILLCYD