New Furnace/Air Conditioner

CloneFan85

Jun 7, 2011
Osage, Iowa
Does anyone have recommendations for a new furnace/air conditioner? Have leaned towards Lennox in the past, but have also heard good things about Bryant. Is there really a big difference between brands, is a wi-fi thermostat worth it?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Carrier and Ruud are fine also. I think the company you buy it from is more important. Find an established company that will be around and if something does go goofy at first, they will correct it.

Drews79

Apr 11, 2006
I'm looking at replacing my A/C central air unit as well. My Lennox dealer said last week a new unit installed would cost around $2,800. With having both the furnace and and AC unit installed, I'm sure you could get a better deal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Size of your house and duct work makes a difference. A 2000 sq ft house does not take the same AC/furnace as a 900 sq foot home.

ISU Clone

Apr 11, 2006
I would no longer use Carrier/Bryant. They are shipping all production to Mexico over the next few years, therefore their support and replacement parts quality are going to decline. I am in the industry, I do agree it is mostly up to the contractor's expertise and work quality. I would avoid Goodman/Amana/Daikin, Heil, Maytag/Nortec and Carrier/Bryant. Brands I do prefer: York, Lennox, Trane. I have a Wi-Fi stat and love it. Sends me notifications if temperature drops or is above a certain point, and if I forget to turn the fan off during the day, I just open up my app and it changes instantly. I prefer the Honeywell 8000.

CloneFan85

Jun 7, 2011
Osage, Iowa
I'm looking at replacing my A/C central air unit as well. My Lennox dealer said last week a new unit installed would cost around $2,800. With having both the furnace and and AC unit installed, I'm sure you could get a better deal.

Do you remember which model this was? They quoted me 3,175 for a two stage unit (rebates not included).

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
This is related. I just bought a house and would like to move my furnace to my attic. My house is only a 1 floor house with no basement. Moving it to the attic would allow more room for my kitchen. My house is just under 1,000 square feet. Does anyone have any ideas how much I can expect to pay? I would need some new duct work done in the attic because i have vents in the floor and ceiling right now. There would also need to be some work done in the attic to allow for a furnace to be up there.

Thanks in advanced.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I got a new furnace and AC from Schaal last spring. Very professional. They took care to get all the energy info to MidAmerican for my rebate. Net cost was around 3500.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
After a TON of research I decided on an American Standard furnace/ac when I replaced mine 3-4 years ago. Couldn't be happier. Run quiet, efficient, and had a great rebate.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When we replaced our furnace several years ago, we contacted several companies to come and look at our current set-up & estimate replacement cost. We had a pretty good idea of what we wanted, we were mostly interested in price ranges (ie, show us your best value unit, your mid-range, and your high end, and explain the pros & cons. We had three no-shows and three that came to the house. A & B gave us the information requested, C refused to give price ranges but kept trying to add "cool features" that "of course you want, you just don't know it yet". After two hours of this crap we finally said, give us numbers or go home. He went home, and we chose from A & B.

Bottom line - have them come in for estimates. If they don't listen to your requests at the git-go, or if they fail to show up at all, you don't want to buy from them even if they are the best price. It's a fact of life that furnaces WILL require servicing at some point, so you might as well start with a reliable, customer oriented company. :)

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
ISU Clone...Lennox has been manufacturing in Mexico since 2007 (they expanded their factory there in 2013). Have you seen any problems with their quality?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
American Standard and Trane are basically the same equipment. IMO they are top of the line. Wi-fi thermostats are nice too and Trane has a good one made by Nexia.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I am getting my AC replaced under my home warranty, at minimal cost to me, I am curious if it is better to replace the furnace at the same time or just let it go? I have never had a problem with the furnace but wonder if it is worth it to replace them both at the same time?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When we replaced our furnace several years ago, we contacted several companies to come and look at our current set-up & estimate replacement cost. We had a pretty good idea of what we wanted, we were mostly interested in price ranges (ie, show us your best value unit, your mid-range, and your high end, and explain the pros & cons. We had three no-shows and three that came to the house. A & B gave us the information requested, C refused to give price ranges but kept trying to add "cool features" that "of course you want, you just don't know it yet". After two hours of this crap we finally said, give us numbers or go home. He went home, and we chose from A & B.

Bottom line - have them come in for estimates. If they don't listen to your requests at the git-go, or if they fail to show up at all, you don't want to buy from them even if they are the best price. It's a fact of life that furnaces WILL require servicing at some point, so you might as well start with a reliable, customer oriented company. :)

Sounds par for the course as you hit 2 out of 6. I figure 1/3 of the home contractors are worth a ****, give **** and do a good job.

It's gotten so bad that I am always surprised when someone isn't trying to just screw me. Even worse when trying to get work done in small town Iowa on my mom's house. Screw rate is almost 100%.

/rant

Last edited:

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
We just got our AC/Furnace replaced last week. We used C&K in Ames. They got us high efficiency units for a great price. After rebates we will be spending a fraction of what I anticipated. Very happy with them.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
I got a new furnace and AC from Schaal last spring. Very professional. They took care to get all the energy info to MidAmerican for my rebate. Net cost was around 3500.

Don't forget the rebate! The dealer should tell you about it, and take care of it after you sign the papers. Also, you can get an energy tax credit when you do your income taxes next time.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We just got our AC/Furnace replaced last week. We used C&K in Ames. They got us high efficiency units for a great price. After rebates we will be spending a fraction of what I anticipated. Very happy with them.

Ditto for us. Had ours replaced in December both A/C and furnace. They also added a return air vent and moved our water heater. Very happy along with getting an extra year on warranty.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We got a new furnace and AC a month or so ago. We got the two-stage furnace 90k BTU. I don't remember "hearing" the AC run before, but now I do. I've been told it is normal and just the sound of much more air moving through the vents. It doesn't seem loud when standing right next to it. Anybody else have any experience with the sound of a new system.

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
Ditto for us. Had ours replaced in December both A/C and furnace. They also added a return air vent and moved our water heater. Very happy along with getting an extra year on warranty.

The only thing now I am trying to figure out is how to make the temp not as drastic from the main floor to the 2nd floor. We set ours at 73 but when you go upstairs it is closer to 77. Any suggestions? I noticed one of my ducts (not the bypass duct for the humidifier) has a lever to restrict airflow. I dont know if I restrict it maybe the house will cool more evenly? Or should I just have the furnace fan on at all times to keep the air moving?

Help Support Us

Become a patron