New football improvements are great but..

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My wife and I drove through the SW complex the weekend of the Utah game. I was absolutely appalled. It was beyond bad. For those that think it is a waste, they should actually drive by it. It is horrible. I t makes a lot of 1A high school tracks look good.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't some of the $10.4 million the removal of the south scoreboard and relocation to the track/soccer complex. If so, then some of the $10.4 will actually reduce costs of the south endzone. IMO- it is brilliant of JP to utilize money earmarked for track to actually help the football renovations.

Question - considering the moving of the scoreboard, is the facility going to be a track around a soccer field? That would be a cool killing two birds with one $5 million stone...

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Why are we sinking $10.4 million into non revenue sports? That seems like an extremely large number. There are a large amount of improvements needed in our revenue sports that I believe should be addressed first.

Pollard would only move forward on it if he knew it could be 100 percent privately paid for by interested donors. He'd never be stupid enough to steal money from football to pay for it.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
I t makes a lot of 1A high school tracks look good.

Then we should be able to improve it for far less than $5-$10 million. How much does something like Roland-Story High School cost? I think they are 2-A. We can only (and should) try to change how someone wants to donate, but no AD funds should be used imo. NU did not develop a huge budget by investing in non-revenue sports.

I know how bad it is, but I rather have the worst track program in the nation than sacrifice anything for football or men's basketball.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Then we should be able to improve it for far less than $5-$10 million. How much does something like Roland-Story High School cost? I think they are 2-A. We can only (and should) try to change how someone wants to donate, but no AD funds should be used imo. NU did not develop a huge budget by investing in non-revenue sports.

I know how bad it is, but I rather have the worst track program in the nation than sacrifice anything for football or men's basketball.

ISU has a responsibility as a member of the Big 12 to provide sport venues worthy of Big 12 competition.

1. Our current soccer field is not worthy. We're infamous for having the bumpiest playing surface in the conference; Texas A&M players and coaches were making fun of it.
2. Our outdoor track is not worthy.
3. Our softball field is not worthy. I can name a dozen high school diamonds in central Iowa alone that are better. We don't even have lights, people.

If we want to stay in the Big 12 and play with the big boys (and girls), we need to provide sport venues that are better than what you find at Simpson or Central College. Right now they're worse.

Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We can only (and should) try to change how someone wants to donate, but no AD funds should be used imo.

You have very bad opinions.

Reactions: CYinPA

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
ISU has a responsibility as a member of the Big 12 to provide sport venues worthy of Big 12 competition.

1. Our current soccer field is not worthy. We're infamous for having the bumpiest playing surface in the conference; Texas A&M players and coaches were making fun of it.
3. Our softball field is not worthy. I can name a dozen high school diamonds in central Iowa alone that are better. We don't even have lights, people.

If we want to stay in the Big 12 and play with the big boys (and girls), we need to provide sport venues that are better than what you find at Simpson or Central College. Right now they're worse.

Like I said, if it is coming as a Big 12 mandate, then make some improvements. As bad as they are, the 5 million, or whatever the donation is, should be able to cover the cost without spending AD money. Some schools use non-University owned facilities for basketball- perhaps ISU could do the same in non-revenue sports.
It is not fiscally responsible for ISU to be competing with the big boys in non-revenue sports facilities. Trying to do so would be a good way to end up playing with the MAC. 10 million for a new Football Building would go a lot farther in ensuring both football and non-revenue sports compete against the Big Boys.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Like I said, if it is coming as a Big 12 mandate, then make some improvements. As bad as they are, the 5 million, or whatever the donation is, should be able to cover the cost without spending AD money. Some schools use non-University owned facilities for basketball- perhaps ISU could do the same in non-revenue sports.
It is not fiscally responsible for ISU to be competing with the big boys in non-revenue sports facilities. Trying to do so would be a good way to end up playing with the MAC. 10 million for a new Football Building would go a lot farther in ensuring both football and non-revenue sports compete against the Big Boys.

That applies to women's basketball, you know...it loses $800,000+ every year...

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
That applies to women's basketball, you know...it loses $800,000+ every year...

Yes I do know. Luckily, they can share facilities with a program that does make money, you know...Men's basketball.

I would be all for having soccer playing on JTS and using the visitors locker room, thus not having to spend any on the program for facilities. Take the savings and give it to football.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

That logic doesn't apply to track. There is no obligation to the rest of the Big 12 to host track meets. Do you think any other school are pining away to comes to Ames on a 45-degree Saturday in April to run track? They LOVE the fact ISU has no track.

Softball and soccer playing surfaces and facilities could be upgraded for a lot less than 10.4 mil. The track is the major expense here, let's not hide behind a smoke screen to sell it.

Collect the 10.4 mil in donations and start moving earth. Otherwise, no go.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes I do know. Luckily, they can share facilities with a program that does make money, you know...Men's basketball.

You forgot about the Sukup facility - remember that ISU built a full-size indoor court, meeting areas, offices, and lockers just for women's basketball, a "non-revenue sport."
Using your critieria, we could have saved several millions by building the Sukup half its current size, and just for the men. Right?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

1. As others have stated, there is a cost savings in doing a soccer, track, and softball complex all at the same time. That cost savings is real. And is as real as the cost savings of doing something now vs later. Especially in this economy.
  2. Some of the cost is the removal of the scoreboard from the south endzone and placing it at the soccer complex. This helps shorten the completion timeline for the south endzone by making it an offseason project vs a year project that will affect revenue for a football season.
  3. Moving the scoreboard with these funds is a brilliant way of utilizing funds that are earmarked for track for the benefit of football. If the track/soccer/softball funds didn't pay for the moving then football money would have to be used. So in the end, some of this money will benefit football.
  4. The fact that you stated our track/softball/soccer complex should equal that of a 2A Iowa high school says it all. We should have better facilities than a 2A Iowa high school. There are DIII schools that have better facilities than us and that is unacceptable
  5. Interesting enough, you should check out Nebraska's volleyball complex and facilities and the timeline of its renovations. It is amazing.
  6. I think you need to look at the cost of building a new softball field, soccer complex and track. Nebrasak replaced their track in 2000 and it cost $2 million. Yes, just their track.
In the end this money is not preventing the south end zone from being done. A large donor and season ticket sales are preventing the south endzone. IMO- JP is using the newly increased TV revenues to build immediate needs for non revenue sports and football. These are needs and needs that can be fully funded at this time. The south endzone is waiting for the larger TV revenue increase that will come in 2016. With that renegotiation of TV contracts comes a secure conference and increased guranteed revenues that could be a much easier sell to the BOR. The South endzone would be less reliant on a single donor and would be an easy sell with the, most likely, increased TV revenue. The Big 12 is primed to make a boatload in those negotiations being the only major conference up for renegotiations. One need only look at this summer as a prime example of why it would be hard to sell a south endzone to the BOR. The conference realignment really hurt the process and probably has the BOR thinking they would like to see some security before they approve an expansion. Best case scenario had us in the Big East in which case, our stadium capacity is on par.

Last edited:
Reactions: Judoka

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

I would be all for having soccer playing on JTS and using the visitors locker room, thus not having to spend any on the program for facilities. Take the savings and give it to football.
Yes, because nothing says big time football like having soccer lines painted on your football field.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Question - considering the moving of the scoreboard, is the facility going to be a track around a soccer field? That would be a cool killing two birds with one $5 million stone...
I envision something like this...MISSOURI OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Facilities... as it is what most Big 12 schools have. KState has a similar facility. Look how Mizzou uses facilities to serve bot track/soccer and softball. From the article

"Walton Stadium possesses all the amenities that comprise today's top dual-sports facilities in the nation. Sitting on the west side of the track, the stadium serves the track and soccer teams on one side and softball on the other. The softball field was turned to place home plate in the northwest corner, backing it up to the track/soccer venue. This allows all service facilities to play double duty. For example, the entry plaza services both facilities meaning the restrooms, concession stands and ticket booths were not duplicated. There is also a full-size press box to accommodate the media for track, soccer and softball. "

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

You don't realize just how much time and money it would take to prep JTS playing surface to accommodate soccer, do you? :confused:

Ever notice that a football field is "crowned" (there's a "high point" in the middle of the field and goes downhill as you move toward the sidelines)? Soccer fields are completely flat surfaces. So you either spend significant chunks of money a pop prepping the football field to be suitable to play soccer, or you have the team playing on a field not suitable for soccer. At that point, guess what? It's cheaper to build a new soccer facility.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
That logic doesn't apply to track. There is no obligation to the rest of the Big 12 to host track meets. Do you think any other school are pining away to comes to Ames on a 45-degree Saturday in April to run track? They LOVE the fact ISU has no track.

Softball and soccer playing surfaces and facilities could be upgraded for a lot less than 10.4 mil. The track is the major expense here, let's not hide behind a smoke screen to sell it.

Collect the 10.4 mil in donations and start moving earth. Otherwise, no go.
Agree, no one comes to the Drake Relays:jimlad:

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
You forgot about the Sukup facility - remember that ISU built a full-size indoor court, meeting areas, offices, and lockers just for women's basketball, a "non-revenue sport."
Using your critieria, we could have saved several millions by building the Sukup half its current size, and just for the men. Right?
First, halving the building would not have saved millions. Second, bottom line is we did not build the facility for WBB. Being able to very cheaply house them as well while building a practice facility for MBB was just a perk. Like I said, they are fortunate they can share facilities with MBB. Third, I would have been fine not having WBB in the Sukup, and letting them continue practicing in Hilton. Use the savings on improving the MBB coaching situation.

-As others have stated, there is a cost savings in doing a soccer, track, and softball complex all at the same time. That cost savings is real. And is as real as the cost savings of doing something now vs later. Especially in this economy.

No doubt. What I am saying is do not spend the money in the first place. There is no savings equal to not spending AD money on non-revenue.

-Some of the cost is the removal of the scoreboard from the south endzone and placing it at the soccer complex. This helps shorten the completion timeline for the south endzone by making it an offseason project vs a year project that will affect revenue for a football season.
Exactly- shows how much more of a priority FB is

-Moving the scoreboard with these funds is a brilliant way of utilizing funds that are earmarked for track for the benefit of football. If the track/soccer/softball funds didn't pay for the moving then football money would have to be used. So in the end, some of this money will benefit football.
Exactly- shows how much more of a priority FB is

-The fact that you stated our track/softball/soccer complex should equal that of a 2A Iowa high school says it all. We should have better facilities than a 2A Iowa high school. There are DIII schools that have better facilities than us and that is unacceptable
Maybe I am on the verge of being like you with AA? For track it is completely acceptable (see earlier post). It stinks, but that is the finacial realty right now. You do not expand your future revenue by investing in non-revenue sports

-Interesting enough, you should check out Nebraska's volleyball complex and facilities and the timeline of its renovations. It is amazing.
Interestingly enough, you should study why and how NU can invest in those programs. You do not expand your future revenue by investing in non-revenue sports

-I think you need to look at the cost of building a new softball field, soccer complex and track. Nebrasak replaced their track in 2000 and it cost $2 million. Yes, just their track.
Interestingly enough, you should study why and how NU can invest in those programs

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Uh, balmy Colorado hosted the Big 12 outdoor track championships in 2008, and Nebraska the year before that...

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
First, halving the building would not have saved millions. Second, bottom line is we did not build the facility for WBB. Being able to very cheaply house them as well while building a practice facility for MBB was just a perk. Like I said, they are fortunate they can share facilities with MBB. Third, I would have been fine not having WBB in the Sukup, and letting them continue practicing in Hilton. Use the savings on improving the MBB coaching situation.
I hinted that you should check the timing for Nebraska's renovations.

Like I said, and you ignored, the south endzone is not being held up in order to build the track/soccer/softball complex. They have nothing to do with one another.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
Yes, because nothing says big time football like having soccer lines painted on your football field.
Who said they would be permanent?

You don't realize just how much time and money it would take to prep JTS playing surface to accommodate soccer, do you? :confused:

Ever notice that a football field is "crowned" (there's a "high point" in the middle of the field and goes downhill as you move toward the sidelines)? Soccer fields are completely flat surfaces. So you either spend significant chunks of money a pop prepping the football field to be suitable to play soccer, or you have the team playing on a field not suitable for soccer. At that point, guess what? It's cheaper to build a new soccer facility.
I am well aware of the difference in a soccer field to a football field. Guess, what? It is cheaper to say play through it, than to build a new facility. If soccer does not like it, they can stay in the floodplain for right now.

We are not in a position to use AD funds in trying to compete in a facilities arms-race in non-revenue sports. The best way to get in that position is to invest in football and MBB.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Uh, balmy Colorado hosted the Big 12 outdoor track championships in 2008, and Nebraska the year before that...
FWIW- Colorado has much milder temperatures than Lincoln and Ames. I do agree with your premise though.