New car thread!

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
This man gets it.

That kind of thinking can bite you in the end as well. I let my wife decide on a 2001 Kia Optima years ago, because it was a small 4 door car, despite my informing her that it would fall apart as soon as we drove it off the lot.

God I hated that car. So did she.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The thing is, those people are often the same people wanting everyone to stay out of their business. Now, unless I get married and my wife would need a vehicle, I don't ever intend on taking a loan for a vehicle again. That doesn't mean I need to hop up on a Clydesdale and tell everyone else what to do.

Isn't anything wrong with a car loan. I personally don't like them so I paid cash but there is nothing wrong with debt if one lives within their means. And living within your means is a personal decision as to what that means.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone completely off the rails with financial advice. I didn't expect it to make it past page one.

I'm surprised at all of the love for the Honda Pilot. My Mom has one and I hate it. Poor gas mileage, bumpy ride, third row seating but cramped if you're over 5' 6"....not for me. It is bigger than it looks which is nice, but as was mentioned above, I'd rather have a minivan. And I don't even have kids.

My friend has a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I didn't think I would, but I really like his car. Has all of the whiz bang stuff and gets four of us golfers around with plenty of room to spare.

Well no one ever accused you of having a grand vision...

tumblr_o99ibhwvCX1qfr6udo1_500.gif

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I just got a 17 Silverado to replace my 10 year old one. I've only got ~100 miles on it, but I really like it so far. :cool:

Lucky duck, I'm still rocking a 10 year old Silverado. I do love it, though. I have an extended cab which I like the look & versatility of more than a crew cab/short box combo. The back doors can be a bit of a pain, but I don't need to use them too often.

Wife drives a Ford Edge, and she likes it. I'd say it's barely big enough for our family of 4 (including an infant). Luggage rack on top instead of the panoramic sunroof would probably help that. Chose it over an Equinox because it seemed a little bigger inside (and because my wife has an unhealthy obsession with aforementioned panoramic sunroof). I would have probably preferred a minivan mainly for roadtrips, and because I would rarely have to drive it anyway.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Another plus for a van. At least in Linn county they get charged the cheaper fee as a car instead of a pickup at the dump.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So will a truck. And you won't get laughed at when you go to Menards.

They rent pickups for that rare occasion I actually need one. Just today I saw a couple pickups with actual cargo in their beds. Of course these belonged to the yard service company working on my neighbor's stuff. You, know, guys who actually need pickups for their living.

Or borrow my friends 30 year old beater. Just brush aside the dead mice and stuff...it's all good.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Why do you care what your wife drives? Would you rather spend years listening to her tell you how much she wished she'd gotten something else?

Perhaps they have one nice vehicle and one beater so he ends up in it quite often when they go on longer trips or anywhere as a family.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
A little off topic (kinda)-
Guys- when you are in your wife's vehicle who normally does the driving? Do you drive her vehicle or does she drive it since it has been labeled as "her" vehicle?

Personally, when we are in "her" vehicle I always drive. It really doesn't matter if we are going around the block or across country- I naturally tend just to go to the drivers door and I really don't know why- it's just something we have always done.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
A little off topic (kinda)-
Guys- when you are in your wife's vehicle who normally does the driving? Do you drive her vehicle or does she drive it since it has been labeled as "her" vehicle?

Personally, when we are in "her" vehicle I always drive. It really doesn't matter if we are going around the block or across country- I naturally tend just to go to the drivers door and I really don't know why- it's just something we have always done.

I'm a lady, but probably 80% of the time we drive "my" car, he drives. If he pushes back, I'll make up some ******** reason for why he has to drive, something he "owes" me for that he'll feel just guilty enough that he'll drive. Work's 75% of the time every time. Don't let him know my secret tactic. I'm like a baby in car though. If I know it's a longer journey, I'm out like a light in 10 minutes.

Reactions: Magic and BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm a lady, but probably 80% of the time we drive "my" car, he drives. If he pushes back, I'll make up some ******** reason for why he has to drive, something he "owes" me for that he'll feel just guilty enough that he'll drive. Work's 75% of the time every time. Don't let him know my secret tactic. I'm like a baby in car though. If I know it's a longer journey, I'm out like a light in 10 minutes.

This made me totally miss having someone to share driving with especially on longer drives where you can trade off some. Plus they had nicer cars then me and were really good drivers. I do love me some car napping.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Funny thing because subconsciously I probably just go to the drivers side as my wife is much the same as you. I think i have been seasoned enough to just accept I will be driving and not ask questions.

Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Funny thing because subconsciously I probably just go to the drivers side as my wife is much the same as you. I think i have been seasoned enough to just accept I will be driving and not ask questions.

we are sneaksy, we wives are.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This made me totally miss having someone to share driving with especially on longer drives where you can trade off some. Plus they had nicer cars then me and were really good drivers. I do love me some car napping.

car naps are the best. I'm totally going to have the baby that I have to make laps around the neighborhood in the car to get them to sleep.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Of course, I drive when we get in "her" car. That way I can take it directly to the gas station and fill it for her. This beats the alternative of wondering when we are going to run out of gas.

Reactions: GTO