New car thread!

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Yes, and it is the best car-buying experience I've ever had. And I say this as a Carmax stock-holder having bought their stock when I lived in Richmond, VA when they first began their concept. Carvana was amazing to work with.

thanks. it seems really cool. hoping they make their way to the midwest soon.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've seen evidence that these don't work consistently...people just need to pay attention and stay far away from other cars. The commercials are hilarious showing people relying on their car to tell them they're in the oncoming lane.

The rear hazard camera is actually a nice feature--gets the view of what's directly behind the car that you can't see once you get in.

I've never been an early adopter or technology or ever really tried to rely to heavily on technology. The sensor suite on the CR-V is a tad touchy so I turned most of them off. There is really no alternative to attentive driving but I can see the value in some of these features.

Drove at night in the new rig last night and found the car has auto hi-beams. Another neat idea that doesn't quite translate. When I neared a new street light (LED) my car thought it was an oncoming car and blinked.

In 10 years, nobody under the age of 30 will know that drivers used to have to manually operate cars!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
When my last minivan died, we got a Ford Escape. I liked it a lot but the size difference was dramatic, with still doing things like moving kids to college. We have a Focus that the teenagers drive. Husband's car was getting high in miles, so traded it in for an Edge, that I now drive and he takes the Escape. I like that all three of them are the same with so many things like syncing the phone and audio, back up camera, etc. Sometimes the boys need the extra hauling room and I wind up driving the Focus, but I don't have to spend time figuring out stuff like that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've never been an early adopter or technology or ever really tried to rely to heavily on technology. The sensor suite on the CR-V is a tad touchy so I turned most of them off. There is really no alternative to attentive driving but I can see the value in some of these features.

Drove at night in the new rig last night and found the car has auto hi-beams. Another neat idea that doesn't quite translate. When I neared a new street light (LED) my car thought it was an oncoming car and blinked.

In 10 years, nobody under the age of 30 will know that drivers used to have to manually operate cars!

Auto lights, while good since it's easier to see cars during the day, can be bogus too...some cars ONLY have auto front lights so people can't see the vehicle from behind when it's dark. That may have changed with newer/recent models though so that they're all lit.

I'm sort of kicking myself for not getting a Forester that cost much less because it was actually stick/manual. That's a fun way to drive and last I knew statistically safer since the driver is forced to be in more control.

Saw a driver of a very new model of vehicle today that almost hit a child in a cross walk on the way to work...if there were auto brakes they certainly didn't ignite and the driver clearly wasn't paying attention to things like children a block away in front of the car.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I feel like there's a lot of dad hat, jort and sock/mandel combo wearing folk in this thread. :D

tourist.jpg

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Agreed. I find some of the newer safety features to be a pest more than they are helpful. I turned off my rear and front collision sensors but I use the backup camera all the time. I think I'd actually get a lot of use out of the blind spot camera if I didn't have a vehicle with tow mirrors on it. With how often I've noticed the sensors picking up random nothings, I feel a lot better about actually seeing it on camera.

I know this is a little nit picky and I get why they do it but the constant seatbelt dings get to me too. Going 5-10 mph across fields, across building sites or whatever gets kind of annoying.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Any 2015 or newer Subaru Forester owners out their? I've read they burn oil fast.. Any pro or cons that you have experienced?

SIL has one and I've heard they love it. They had a 2015ish Nissan Sentra and a 2016ish Forester before they moved over seas and the Forester is the one they took with them.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It is fun to make light of smart financial decisions.

Good times.

Almost as good as mocking those that exercise regularly, eat healthy, and see their dentist every 6 mos.

Nerds. Fun haters!!

The thing is, those people are often the same people wanting everyone to stay out of their business. Now, unless I get married and my wife would need a vehicle, I don't ever intend on taking a loan for a vehicle again. That doesn't mean I need to hop up on a Clydesdale and tell everyone else what to do.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Wife and I have been looking for new vehicles for a while- 2 kids- I am kinda keen on the GMC Acadia and she likes the Honda Odssey or the Chrysler Pacifica. Obviously I am not wanting a minivan and am holding out hope that she will just give in and we can get the SUV.

I've had both a Nissan Titan and a Honda Pilot. Neither of them had the utility or cargo capacity of a minivan. My current 2014 Chrysler Town and Country can haul a surprisingly large quantity of both 2x4s and 4x8 sheets of drywall.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I've had both a Nissan Titan and a Honda Pilot. Neither of them had the utility or cargo capacity of a minivan. My current 2014 Chrysler Town and Country can haul a surprisingly large quantity of both 2x4s and 4x8 sheets of drywall.

Thats pretty much what the wife wants a mini van for- she wants to be the "mini van mom"- haul our kids and their friends around and expecting them to have a lot of stuff to haul. SMH- I told her that we can do the same in the Acadia only the friends will have to hold on to their things.

On another note- the thing that I really like on my King Ranch pickup is that when someone is following you at night the rear view and side mirrors automatically dim- that would be a must have on my next vehicle, along with things already said like back up camera. Also my BIL has the Buick Enclave and when you turn the steering wheel the headlights turn that direction also- its not a must have but still pretty cool. Also some new vehicles have that parallel park assist- anyone know how well that works- always been curious about that.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone completely off the rails with financial advice. I didn't expect it to make it past page one.

I'm surprised at all of the love for the Honda Pilot. My Mom has one and I hate it. Poor gas mileage, bumpy ride, third row seating but cramped if you're over 5' 6"....not for me. It is bigger than it looks which is nice, but as was mentioned above, I'd rather have a minivan. And I don't even have kids.

My friend has a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I didn't think I would, but I really like his car. Has all of the whiz bang stuff and gets four of us golfers around with plenty of room to spare.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Thats pretty much what the wife wants a mini van for- she wants to be the "mini van mom"- haul our kids and their friends around and expecting them to have a lot of stuff to haul. SMH- I told her that we can do the same in the Acadia only the friends will have to hold on to their things.

Why do you care what your wife drives? Would you rather spend years listening to her tell you how much she wished she'd gotten something else?

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron