New book suggestions

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I really enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars. Thought it was pretty funny, cute, touching. I was also relatively short so I was able to finish in a day or two. Dr. Sleep was an excellent read if you've read The Shining. Reading Lone Survivor right now and its tough to get through. Tough as in its horribly written. The actual story is pretty engaging but the mass amount of fluff surrounding the story is incredibly distracting.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I really enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars. Thought it was pretty funny, cute, touching. I was also relatively short so I was able to finish in a day or two. Dr. Sleep was an excellent read if you've read The Shining. Reading Lone Survivor right now and its tough to get through. Tough as in its horribly written. The actual story is pretty engaging but the mass amount of fluff surrounding the story is incredibly distracting.

I had the same thoughts about Lone Survivor. It's been awhile, so I can't quite remember what it was exactly, but there was something about the way it was written that turned me off.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I am reading Jim Abbott's book Imperfect-An Improbable Life. I am not quite half way through but appreciate the tandem writer as he makes this much more readable than some athlete's books. The best read I have had in the last couple of years was Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. This book is a true story of Louie Zamperini, a former Olympic runner.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I second The Fault In Our Starts. Good read. I just finished Divergent and it was entertaining. Similar to the Hunger Games if you liked those books. Reading the second one now.

I read John Grisham's The Racketeer which was enjoyable, especially if you like Grisham. A quick read, but good.

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
I also just finished Divergent. It's a very easy read and it does pull you in. It was also great timing to read Divergent as I had finished Cloud Atlas prior, which was a boring read in my opinion.

I'm now trying to read older classics that I feel like I should have read already. Slaughterhouse Five is the one I started with. If anyone else has some classics that they feel are a must read, I'd love to add more to my list.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
This is how I view everyone in this thread!

snob-220x300.jpg

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
As mentioned above, Unbroken is good.

A good one I read last summer was The Worst Hard Time. Was about the Dust Bowl and Great Depression. An interesting topic about which I knew very little.
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl: Timothy Egan: 9780618773473: Amazon.com: Books

If you are a parent, coach, teacher, or work with kids in any capacity, How Children Succeed is interesting.
How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character: Paul Tough: 9780544104402: Amazon.com: Books

I am a big fan of Chip and Dan Heath. They have three books out but my favorite is probably Switch. It is about making change - why it is hard and how to make it easier.
Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard: Chip Heath, Dan Heath: 9780385528757: Amazon.com: Books

I will think of some others I have read and would recommend.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
As mentioned above, Unbroken is good.

A good one I read last summer was The Worst Hard Time. Was about the Dust Bowl and Great Depression. An interesting topic about which I knew very little.
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl: Timothy Egan: 9780618773473: Amazon.com: Books
This is an excellent read.

I also give this book my recommendation. His newer book The Big Burn is also a very good read. Maybe its because I already had a decent knowledge of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl but I enjoy The Big Burn more.
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Burn-Tedd...FME_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390324748&sr=1-3

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I had the same thoughts about Lone Survivor. It's been awhile, so I can't quite remember what it was exactly, but there was something about the way it was written that turned me off.
The author gives a lot of political opinions that don't contribute to the story. It would've been better without, but still an amazing story of bravery.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
The author gives a lot of political opinions that don't contribute to the story. It would've been better without, but still an amazing story of bravery.

For a book that is supposed to be about teamwork and a tribute to his fallen comrades, he spends a whole lot of time talking about "me, me, me".

WAP311

Jul 17, 2012
Waukee
I just started it, but I am loving "Don't Put Me in Coach" by Mark Titus. It's a lot like Shirley's book. He talks about growing up and playing AAu with Mike Conley and Greg Oden and his time as a walk on at Ohio State. Very funny. Another good one is ***** My Dad Says. Don't remember the author right off hand but he is a contributor for Maxim.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I just started it, but I am loving "Don't Put Me in Coach" by Mark Titus. It's a lot like Shirley's book. He talks about growing up and playing AAu with Mike Conley and Greg Oden and his time as a walk on at Ohio State. Very funny. Another good one is ***** My Dad Says. Don't remember the author right off hand but he is a contributor for Maxim.

Ive read Titus' book a couple times. Very entertaining and he is a funny guy.

The author of the other is Justin Halpern, also funny.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I recently have read Everybody Poops, Biscuits Valentines Day, and Barbie Mermaid Adventure.

Later tonight i will be reading Snow Bear and No David.

It's a very diverse group of books that cover some very complex topics. I highly recommend them.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I generally don't read modern fiction, but a good source for titles is Goodreads. You can search by genre, and I was able to pick out some good sci fi titles as gifts for someone even though I generally don't read sci-fi, either.

Right now, I am reading "Life on the Mississippi" by Mark Twain. It is outstanding.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I also just finished Divergent. It's a very easy read and it does pull you in. It was also great timing to read Divergent as I had finished Cloud Atlas prior, which was a boring read in my opinion.

I'm now trying to read older classics that I feel like I should have read already. Slaughterhouse Five is the one I started with. If anyone else has some classics that they feel are a must read, I'd love to add more to my list.

I went through a period when I read a crap load of the "older classics I felt like I should have read already." Here are some just on my bookshelf (in no particular order):

- Cat's Cradle (because you mentioned Vonnegut)
- The Iliad
- Moby ****
- The Origin of Species
- The Divine Comedy
- Voyage of the Beagle
- The Prince
- The Art of War
- The Communist Manifesto
- The Basic Kafka
- Wealth of Nations
- The Brothers Karamazov
- Crime and Punishment
- Animal Farm
- Iacocca
- A People's History of The United States

Also have a ton of philosophy (all kinds). If you're into that, I can give you some good ones, or some authors I think are good.

I too am looking for more if these, so let me know what I missed.