New beagle pup

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Maya has given me the cold nose to the face wakeup call before. I didn't punch her though.!

he said it freaked him out because his dog was just staring at him, no licking or anything. Just staring. And all he could see were the eyes right in front of his face, scared him to death!

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Congrats on the beautiful new puppy!

To those who say beagles aren't "dogs", they never saw my 35 pound beagle go at it with my 100 pound labs, lol.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Be patient and it'll all be worth it! We have a female beagle who is a perfect angel and yelps very little. She does like to bring the occasional rabbit in from the outside, however. Either that or she'll eat the entire thing and then puke it up inside. Fun times.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I grew up with beagles. Fantastic rabbit hunters, and a lot of heart. But they are as hard-headed a dog as I've ever been around. Tough to train, though a female might be better than a male.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Beagles can be awesome... Ours was awesome about half the time. The rest of the time she was an anxiety ridden vicious and possessive beast. We missed (misinterpreted) the early warning signs she gave us as a brand new puppy. We had her less than a day before she got into a Kleenex box and hid under the bed. No big deal... Except when we went to get her she growled and snapped at us. (Huge early warning sign and we were too naive to know it.). She also freaked out and bayed, crapped, peed in her crate for any car ride. My wife would hold her instead and she'd still bay. Hated car rides all her life. When she was one or so we ended up hiring a personal dog trainer since she wasn't responding to normal training. Smart as hell, and would do whatever we asked for treats, but wicked possessive and bull headed. Trainer was good (but did get bit while training her) and we ended up having her for seven years before my wife got preggo. After that the beagle was too much of a liability so we had to put her to sleep. Anyway, watch for the signs and you'll know pretty quick. Especially watch for them if you got her at a farm/breeder in the middle of nowhere about an hour south of Des Moines...

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
My sister-in-law has about a 8 year old beagle (ARL dog she got a couple years ago that they thought was about 5 at the time) that "barks" at all dogs twice as big as he is. Kind of embarrassing when walking him. But the dog as been cuddled, ridin like a horse, poked at, pulled on, dog piled on by my 3 children without one single bark, let alone a snap. One of the best dogs I have ever been around, unless he sees a lab.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So far she is great but exhausting. Rides in the car great. Has a bladder the size of a pea, so we spent our weekend following her around. Very stubborn when she wants to go somewhere or get into something. Plays hard and sleeps hard. Uses her little teeth too much on skin, so we are playing with a toy in our hands so we can fend her off a bit and keep her used to biting that instead.

Our Pappizoo Skipper is tolerant of her, though has gotten grouchy enough with her that she maintains a distance although she bounces at him in her silly moments. My wife is taking today and tomorrow off to work with her and train her. We put her in the play pen in the basement for sleeping, and if she cries, we can't hear her. Last night she didn't make a sound when she went in, so I think she is getting used to it.