Need help, Moving to Springfield, IL and need advice

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
My wife and I are relocating from Florida to Springfield, IL. If anyone has lived there, or has family there I would appreciate any advice you could give.

We are renting, need a house with a fenced in yard, we have 2 dogs.

1. Where should we live, west side looks good, we are looking for newer home decent budget.
2. What is there to do for mid 30's with no kids, like to have a good time, etc.
3. Is there any ISU fans there? We sure hope we can have a group to hang with.
4. Any advice on rental companies, etc.

Thank you very much for any advice, we are looking to be there by mid October at the latest.
GO STATE!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have visited many times, but probably am not much help. Driving around, there are definitely areas you want to avoid, but I am of no help there either, sorry.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Also city data is pretty good usually, not for cyclone get togethers of course.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I can't help with most of your questions, but I can tell you that if you enjoy the outdoors there's a lot to do in this area. Plenty of reservoirs for boating if you're into that. The Buffalo River isn't that far from Springfield. It's one of the few undammed rivers in the lower 48, and it's managed by the NPS. Lots of hiking, tubing the river (when it's not as low/dry as it is now) and other stuff. There's caves in the area too, but I have yet to check any of them out.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Have a Horseshoe they are tasty. They also have a pretty good 4th of July show at the Old Capital. Sorry that's all I got.

Prometheus

Sep 11, 2012
Look into Chatham which is just South. At one time Springfield was a good clean mid-sized central Illinois town, but like about all of them from Jacksonville, to Peoria, to Galesburg, to Rock Island, to Rockford, to Decatur have suffered and are kind of dirty and have some areas where you don't want to be in after dark. Their closeness to Chicago attracts/supports the gang banger element.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfanatic

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I can't read. I thought this said Springfield, MO when I read it last night.

Although, I used to live kind of near Springfield, IL as well and still can't really help you with your question.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
You can attend Cyclone games on the weekend.

Yes, this will be happening, season tickets will be purchased for next year and hoping to make a couple November games for sure. We are very excited about this. We actually found a place in the West part of town and really enjoyed that area.

Thanks everyone for your insight!