Nealy arrested for a noise complaint

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
But Devondrick wasn't being one by not complying with the cop?

I didn't say that. And did you hear the scanner exchange between the 2 cops and the dispatcher involved? My guess is no you didn't so you didn't hear his tone.

My point is a loud radio, even after a warning deserves a ticket not an arrest.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Bad name? Put yourself in there shoes. You can only get poked with a stick so many times before you do something about it... Nealy was looking for trouble. How hard is it to turn a nob down?

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
The arrest was for being a *******. Had he taken the warning and turned down the music he'd have been fine. And this all happened after his coach closed practice with a lecture on behavior yesterday. Idiot ought to be running laps in Trice on Saturday as punishment.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Everyone has different opinion on what loud is...:eek:

I have never heard of a person getting arrested for loud music, first.

Ole Bobby doing a fine job...
BobbyLaGesse_Mug.jpg

I was curious where 80dB falls in the range:

http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I mean, I do agree that he should have been ticketed first - but if he'd been asked to turn it down, it was clearly coming because of complaints.

Actually that is the funny thing. The cop never talked about anyone complaining, he kept taking about how he keeps seeing the blue suburban driving around. You could tell he was preoccupied with the blue suburban even though they were looking into house parties.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I was sitting there listening to the scanner doing tax returns. Even my wife who was on the couch reading a book made a comment about why would they arrest him and not give him a ticket (This was all before they said the drivers name).

I was listening too, and thought it was odd that they were like "just arrest him", but you had to know if you were going to be out, they were going to look for anything possible.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
I usually reserve judgement for criminal cases, but I'm SO TIRED of stupidity. If a cop has a reasonable request (like turning down blaring music after already being warned), just do it. Even if you don't see the point of the request, is it really worth playing with fire if there is nothing legitimate to gain by doing so? Don't act like a ****. Don't try to laud your rights. Don't be a bro and try to show them up. I have interacted with a bunch of cops in the past, and as long as you are courteous and give them respect, they are do the same for you. When people start treating them like **** is when things escalate and you end up getting arrested for loud music.

Reactions: Angie

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
if they were ever going to have a quick trigger it would have been last night.

Not a big deal but he's has to be smarter than that.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I didn't say that. And did you hear the scanner exchange between the 2 cops and the dispatcher involved? My guess is no you didn't so you didn't hear his tone.

My point is a loud radio, even after a warning deserves a ticket not an arrest.

But my point is - was he being a jerk on the scanner before he gave the warning to turn it down (four times)? No. When someone acts like an a-hole, the cops understandably get annoyed and act like one in return. That's human nature. When my three-year-old refuses to comply with something I've asked her to do multiple times, the reaction is going to be harsher than if she had just done it in the first place.

I get what you're saying, but there was an escalation to that point.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No Angie -

You see, cops are always wrong. Therefore it's perfectly acceptable to disregard their warnings and still not face any further consequences.

I guess its not so much about Cops being wrong but the fact that there are bigger problems to be dealing with. A cop taking 2 hours out of his night to stop a loud car stereo is absurd. You'd think he had more pride in his job than that. To me its about bigger fish to fry. Especially if there wasn't an actual complaint. Sounds more like a ******* contest or an "I'll show this kid" situation than anything else. Cops should have no ego, sadly its usually the other way around.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Usually then they give you a ticket and not arrest you. This is why the Ames cops get a bad name.

Yeah, but, all things considered (CPR acknowledged they talked about behavior after practice, etc) you listen to the warning.

While you think this gives cops a bad name....maybe things like this give ISU FB a bad name?

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Put yourself in the mindset of the cop. Everyone can come off as an ******* when they are probably going to be working 20 hour shifts until Sunday night, dealing with the same ****.

If they already gave him a warning, then he deserves anything that happens after that. Any sane/sober person would comply and move on. Especially if he pulled a "do you know who I am?" maneuver.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They warned him multiple times (the scanner said he was warned 4 times). And he still kept it up? Sorry Devondrick can't complain about the cops on that one. He had plenty of opportunity to avoid trouble.

Help Support Us

Become a patron