***NCAA Wrestling: Session 3 (Fri., 11:00)***

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Video review is meant to confirm correct points are being awarded, not to catch a referee making a pre-mature, but ultimately correct call. If Yonger doesn’t secure that takedown a second later the referee waves it off and wrestling continues. This happens often. The fact you can review a referee making a call “too early” and not the “correct call” in a full sequence of events is robbery. A kid lost a chance to AA at no fault of his own.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Help me understand why Wrestling wants to compete with the NCAA basketball tournament. In my opinion, they are making their audience choose and for most folks basketball will win out. Why not adjust the wrestling tournament to a different weekend and expand your audience?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Help me understand why Wrestling wants to compete with the NCAA basketball tournament. In my opinion, they are making their audience choose and for most folks basketball will win out. Why not adjust the wrestling tournament to a different weekend and expand your audience?
Agree. Wrestling should be a second semester sport with a championship late April.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Video review is meant to confirm correct points are being awarded, not to catch a referee making a pre-mature, but ultimately correct call. If Yonger doesn’t secure that takedown a second later the referee waves it off and wrestling continues. This happens often. The fact you can review a referee making a call “too early” and not the “correct call” in a full sequence of events is robbery. A kid lost a chance to AA at no fault of his own.
It is impossible to say what the correct call was. How do you know that Beard didn’t bail out of that situation early because he knew the 2 was already called? That happens all of the time.

The ref shouldn’t have made the call on the mat, but we don’t know how it would have played out had the initial two not been called. Yonger has been struggling to finish shots for 6 weeks.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
It is impossible to say what the correct call was. How do you know that Beard didn’t bail out of that situation early because he knew the 2 was already called? That happens all of the time.

The ref shouldn’t have made the call on the mat, but we don’t know how it would have played out had the initial two not been called. Yonger has been struggling to finish shots for 6 weeks
Beard didn't bail out. We know how it played out. Yonger lifted and secured the takedown. It should all be part of the review process.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Beard didn't bail out. We know how it played out. Yonger lifted and secured the takedown. It should all be part of the review process.
Sorry, but this shows a complete lack of understanding of the sport. You know better. Beard likely turned down easier than he otherwise would have. How do you know he wouldn’t have gone dive roll if he thought they were still neutral?

It’s unfortunate that the ref blew the call on the mat. I think Yonger likely would have finished anyway. But this is the correct way to handle challenges. Wrestlers make decisions/change tactics based on the situation. So therefore you can’t say “well we saw how it played out” because if the correct call was made at the time the situation could have been completely different.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Sorry, but this shows a complete lack of understanding of the sport. You know better. Beard likely turned down easier than he otherwise would have. How do you know he wouldn’t have gone dive roll if he thought they were still neutral?

It’s unfortunate that the ref blew the call on the mat. I think Yonger likely would have finished anyway. But this is the correct way to handle challenges. Wrestlers make decisions/change tactics based on the situation. So therefore you can’t say “well we saw how it played out” because if the correct call was made at the time the situation could have been completely different.
Lack of understanding of the sport? Get over yourself. I understand how wrestlers could change strategy if certain calls are made but it was so close together nothing of that sort happened. Both legs were trapped. You think he’s rolling through with both legs trapped?

I get it as the rules stand the call was correct even though i dont agree at all. I’m saying the review rules need to change so the whole situation can be reviewed.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Lack of understanding of the sport? Get over yourself. I understand how wrestlers could change strategy if certain calls are made but it was so close together nothing of that sort happened. Both legs were trapped. You think he’s rolling through with both legs trapped?

I get it as the rules stand the call was correct even though i dont agree at all. I’m saying the review rules need to change so the whole situation can be reviewed.
I get what you’re saying, but you’re wrong.

Let’s imagine that instead of bailing out, Beard goes for a dive roll and gives up a quick 2 count for 2 backs. If there was no initial td, then there would be no back. There’s also likely be no subsequent takedown because a danger call takes 3 seconds as opposed to a 2 count NF. That initial call changes everything and you can’t just assume what would have happened had the initial call been correct.

The ref made a bad call, but the way challenges are handled is the only way to do it.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Backing up time to challenge something is the dumbest part of this. That sequence went in for another five seconds before the challenge brick was thrown.

And we don't have to imagine anything...Beard tried going through Bastida's legs even after the two was incorrectly given. Beard didn't change his thought process or way. As a result, Bastida readjusted and secured the two. It's a joke they can go back in time before a scoring sequence.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Don’t dwell on the Yonger TD challenge - it’ll ruin your day. The fact is, it sucked that the ref screwed up and called the TD early. The challenge was legit. Yonger would have had a great chance to win but who really knows? We’ve seen him lose close matches before.

Focus on the guys still going tonight. We’ve got a chance for our best finish in years!

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020

This is exactly the point I was making. Looks like the rules committee has a complete lack of understanding of the sport as well.

1681939925475.png

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron