NCAA Tournament Officiating

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am really enjoying the ride so far, but I am really concerned that in the NCAA tournament the officiating may be concerning. Every night in the Big 12 is a rock fight and fouls may not get called. I am concerned that officials that are not used to the Big 12 style will call a game differently and we will be in big foul trouble and negate some of our defensive effectiveness. This can lead to a big upset. I know West Virginia in the past could get knocked out really early due to games being called differently.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
That is a concern, but we have shown the ability to adapt and still be effective. Good news is that our team is great at drawing contact too.
I was in the middle of typing something similar.

For the most part, the contact we instigate on defense is with with our chests and lower body. The refs seem more inclined to blow the whistle for grabs and hand-checks. I've been pleasantly surprised that the refs haven't called it when our bigs leave their feet in the paint and go straight up while an opposing guard drives into them. We always used to get called for that in the past, but the refs have been letting them play this year.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Officiating is always a concern, but it varies game to game. I don’t recall the officiating greatly impacting our ncaa games from the last couple years though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was in the middle of typing something similar.

For the most part, the contact we instigate on defense is with with our chests and lower body. The refs seem more inclined to blow the whistle for grabs and hand-checks. I've been pleasantly surprised that the refs haven't called it when our bigs leave their feet in the paint and go straight up while an opposing guard drives into them. We always used to get called for that in the past, but the refs have been letting them play this year.
That's really the way it should be officiated. If you get to the spot first and stop their momentum in a given direction with your chest, then play on. And we do that all the time.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I am really enjoying the ride so far, but I am really concerned that in the NCAA tournament the officiating may be concerning. Every night in the Big 12 is a rock fight and fouls may not get called. I am concerned that officials that are not used to the Big 12 style will call a game differently and we will be in big foul trouble and negate some of our defensive effectiveness. This can lead to a big upset. I know West Virginia in the past could get knocked out really early due to games being called differently.
The KSU/ISU game had between 40 and 50 fouls called. (Couple that with the Tanging incident and the game lasted 2 1/2 hours.)
The team seemed to adjust.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This is where our depth is such a difference from past years. If a player gets into foul trouble, we have a good bench that can give minutes without a significant drop off.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That's really the way it should be officiated. If you get to the spot first and stop their momentum in a given direction with your chest, then play on. And we do that all the time.

The comment about the chest is important. Using your arms and reaching is what leads to fouls.

Reactions: Cyclonepride