NCAA FB Dominoes Continue to Fall

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I thought I saw U Conn football lost 14 million last year.
They are definitely a drain. UConn and Houston are the two highest public subsidized programs in U.S.

1596813674323.png

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Maryland just announced 6 players are opting out and one being held out due to medical concerns. 4 starters total. I think over the next couple of weeks you will see the list of players doing this slowly grow.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
You could argue Idaho was the only major victim. They had been in the WAC for decades.

Actually Idaho went back to where they belong. They were in the WAC for only 7 years. They were in the Big Sky until the mid nineties. Bounced around multiple FBS conferences in their 20 years of FBS. They are now back in the conference they helped start and was a member of for 30 years.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
They are definitely a drain. UConn and Houston are the two highest public subsidized programs in U.S.

View attachment 74098
All of UCONNs money games had been cancelled by power 5 teams. They were down to only 6 games. It was way more about $$$ and filling a schedule than "safety".

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Pioneer League, which is the FCS league that Drake plays in, is out.

That puts only 5/13 FCS leagues left and there will be no FCS playoffs this fall. It’s up to the remaining 5 leagues (one of which is Missouri Valley with S Dakota, UNI, NDSU) to decide if they’re still going to play in the fall for a conference championship and forgo the national championship or try to defer to the spring.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would be curious how close the Big 10 looked at other east coast schools when they added Rutgers.

I lived in the NYC area 30 years ago and I seemed to run across many more Syracuse and UConn fans than Rutgers fans.

Maybe there was an academic component to adding Rutgers. But I was surprised the Big10 didn't add Syracuse or UConn instead.

Was also surprised the Big10 didn't go to 16 teams by adding Syracuse, UConn and Boston College and develop a strong NE following- with fanbases from Boston to DC.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I would be curious how close the Big 10 looked at other east coast schools when they added Rutgers.

I lived in the NYC area 30 years ago and I seemed to run across many more Syracuse and UConn fans than Rutgers fans.

Maybe there was an academic component to adding Rutgers. But I was surprised the Big10 didn't add Syracuse or UConn instead.

Nothing to do with academics or size of the fan base. It was all about finding the biggest available TV markets, so they could ram BTN into the regular cable tier and collect massive subscriber fees. Hence, Maryland (DC/Baltimore) and Rutgers (NY/NJ).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Nothing to do with academics or size of the fan base. It was all about finding the biggest available TV markets, so they could ram BTN into the regular cable tier and collect massive subscriber fees. Hence, Maryland (DC/Baltimore) and Rutgers (NY/NJ).

Correct, that was the genius and the true money maker of the system. Being on basic cable not an extra sports channel forced everyone that had cable or satellite TV to pay a monthly fee of around $9.25 a month to BTN, if they had a team in your state, out of state got it for around a $.25 to $.50 cents. It did not matter whether you watched them or not, whether you were a fan or not, everyone pays into the league, just by having basic cable.
By moving the league into Rutgers and Maryland, they picked up the large markets of NY and DC, adding more to the till. I read where both schools brought in over 50 million each to the league yearly, a lot more than Nebraska and all its football titles would bring in over 5 years.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Being on basic cable not an extra sports channel forced everyone that had cable or satellite TV to pay a monthly fee of around $9.25 a month to BTN, if they had a team in your state, out of state got it for around a $.25 to $.50 cents.

BTN is just over $1 in market, not $9.25. The overall average (in-market and out-of-market) as of 2018 was around 55-60 cents.

ESPN by itself (not including ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, SEC Network, or ACC Network) is now in the $8/month range.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Academics definitely played a major role. Rutgers and Maryland are both AAU Universities, Nebraska was AAU when they were voted on to join the B10 but they are no longer. Rest of the B10 schools are AAU.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I see per the Register that 2.2% of the returning ISU students are testing positive. At that rate, roughly 700 students will start their school in isolation.