NCAA FB Dominoes Continue to Fall

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
There are several more dominoes falling after P5 cancelling all or most of non-conference games.

- Now FBS UConn cancels entire season.

- Now Penn State announces there will be no fans in stands this year.

Dominoes keep falling. Ugh. Would hate to see season cancelled. Would also hate to see fans (even the 1/2 crowd of 30,000) denied.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There are several more dominoes falling after P5 cancelling all or most of non-conference games.

- Now FBS UConn cancels entire season.

- Now Penn State announces there will be no fans in stands this year.

Dominoes keep falling. Ugh. Would hate to see season cancelled. Would also hate to see fans (even the 1/2 crowd of 30,000) denied.

In my opinion none of these are dominoes to P5 teams cancelling their seasons. The non-con and no fan announcement are moves to preserve a season and TV dollars. UConn cancelling has no impact on anybody else, nor does it signal anything as far as P5. They were a terrible team that was going to be independent this year. Once the conferences eliminated/limited non-con there was no feasible way for UConn to have a season.

As a domino for having no fans in the stands anywhere - definitely. It would be a huge revenue hit for all schools, but financially would be something schools could deal with.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would be surprised if fans is an option this fall. Maybe player families, a few big donors- not more than 500-1000 people.

The UConn decision seems to be more financial than Covid. UConn subsidizes it's athletic department with about $50M annually. Not playing saves the school money.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I would be surprised if fans is an option this fall. Maybe player families, a few big donors- not more than 500-1000 people.

The UConn decision seems to be more financial than Covid. UConn subsidizes it's athletic department with about $50M annually. Not playing saves the school money.
UConn should just get rid of FB. Now that they are back in the Big East, call it good.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Saturdays in the fall with my boys is my favorite thing. There is 0% chance we are in the stadium this fall. Just push the tickets till next year.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The Big Sky is out. That drops the FCS below 50% participation and cancels the playoffs. There are a couple of leagues that are still thinking about playing but I can't imagine that happening.

That also just took a bunch of games off FBS schedules too.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Echoing others, I'm all for letting them play without fans at this point. The virtual fans in the stands and simulated crowd noise have been fun little additions to soccer and baseball games. I haven't really missed it that much.

I think they should let each home team design their own virtual crowd for each game.

We could get creative.

We could charge money to have some advertisers throw their names on some signs as cameras "pan the crowd". We could recreate the Teletubbies gif. Hell, I'd pay money to have my likeness virtually storm the field after every win.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Echoing others, I'm all for letting them play without fans at this point. The virtual fans in the stands and simulated crowd noise have been fun little additions to soccer and baseball games. I haven't really missed it that much.

I think they should let each home team design their own virtual crowd for each game.

We could get creative.

We could charge money to have some advertisers throw their names on some signs as cameras "pan the crowd". We could recreate the Teletubbies gif. Hell, I'd pay money to have my likeness virtually storm the field after every win.
Would Bowlsby still fine us for a virtual storm?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

We could get creative.

I'm starting a gofundme for this to be shown then:
1e0291b40c1045cf9ca42d9012f1d70e.gif

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
The Big Sky is out. That drops the FCS below 50% participation and cancels the playoffs. There are a couple of leagues that are still thinking about playing but I can't imagine that happening.

That also just took a bunch of games off FBS schedules too.

That is huge news. That means the FCS is right at that 50% mark which means it looks like the FCS season is about to be moved to the spring.

No S Dakota state game.
All FCS games remaining for the B12 or ACC should be off.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron