NCAA FB Dominoes Continue to Fall

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't understand why these conferences are still considering fans in attendance.

I'm relatively optimistic about college football being played this fall, but having fans in the stands has seemed unlikely and unnecessary from the beginning.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I'm relatively optimistic about college football being played this fall, but having fans in the stands has seemed unlikely and unnecessary from the beginning.

I really, really hope we get college football but I'm still skeptical. This all just feels like March Madness where they kept chipping away before finally cancelling the whole thing.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I really, really hope we get college football but I'm still skeptical. This all just feels like March Madness where they kept chipping away before finally cancelling the whole thing.

It will take multiple simultaneous outbreaks. A smattering of positive tests aren't going to cancel the season. 20+ positives on 10 P5 teams (maybe 4-5) with a national outcry from media, players, and parents will. The first hurdle to clear will be to keep positives down to their current numbers after classes start. It's going to be very hard to maintain that discipline for four months. It's not going to be pretty.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
50% attendance seems unrealistic to me right now, but going to zero fans seems extreme. It would seem that 10-15k could attend games and still social distance in a 60000 seat outdoor stadium. But maybe it isn’t cost effective at 20% attendance. Really I just hope the team gets to play.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm 100% fine with no fans just please give us the games. Brock Purdys don't come to Iowa State often.

My biggest hope at this point is they hold the season without fans. Don’t see fans happening- this seems like the best outcome.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
30% and bring those vuvuzelas!
If no fans are allowed, I think some fans can disguise themselves as benches and cardboards :jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: motorcy90

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They dropped down to FCS because MWC stiffed them and they were on a complete island.

UConn went from a BCS bid conference to AAC to independent.

It's easy to forget how vulnerable ISU was pre-Cambpell and pre Big 12 solidifying around a 10 team league. Pac somewhat imploding provided some breathing room too.

As crazy as it is those were the two biggest "Drops" in all of realignment.

Others you could consider...
USF Big East (only 7 years) ended up in AAC
BYU isn't lighting the world on fire as an independent.
Temple someone else mentioned had one season in BCS Big East.

So after all the craziness...only five teams really ended up in possibly lesser football conferences.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought I saw U Conn football lost 14 million last year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They dropped down to FCS because MWC stiffed them and they were on a complete island.

UConn went from a BCS bid conference to AAC to independent.

It's easy to forget how vulnerable ISU was pre-Cambpell and pre Big 12 solidifying around a 10 team league. Pac somewhat imploding provided some breathing room too.

As crazy as it is those were the two biggest "Drops" in all of realignment.

Others you could consider...
USF Big East (only 7 years) ended up in AAC
BYU isn't lighting the world on fire as an independent.
Temple someone else mentioned had one season in BCS Big East.

So after all the craziness...only five teams really ended up in possibly lesser football conferences.
A little hard to say UConn was a victim of realignment. They got to join a BCS conference only because the defections to the ACC. Once Miami, VT left and UConn joined it was on borrowed time. SFU only gets in because Syracuse leaves. Everybody knew it was a joke of a football conference.

The only way UConn and SFU could become victims of realignment was to greatly benefit from it first.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
A little hard to say UConn was a victim of realignment. They got to join a BCS conference only because the defections to the ACC. Once Miami, VT left and UConn joined it was on borrowed time. SFU only gets in because Syracuse leaves. Everybody knew it was a joke of a football conference.

The only way UConn and SFU could become victims of realignment was to greatly benefit from it first.

You could argue Idaho was the only major victim. They had been in the WAC for decades.