NBA: Naz & Niang

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
wonder what matt thomas made in spain this year - 400k? seems better than 35k in the g-league.

Agreed, but in theory he's off the NBA's radar playing overseas. Teams still scout Europe and other international markets, but if a roster spot opens up in season due to injury or whatever who has the better chance of filling it - the guy who's a two hour drive away and has experience in the organization's system or the guy looking at a transatlantic flight?

It's a hard choice to make - chase the more lucrative offers or stay stateside and hope for a call-up.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I would think quite a bit less than that but who knows
Did a quick little search and it isn't listed anywhere but saw this write up on Euro League players salary.

Overseas pros make a huge range of salaries:

In Euro league: the best 30 players make somewhere between 1 and 3 million USD per year

In the top national leagues such as the ACB, VTB, ESAKE, BSL etc. most players will make between 5–10k a month

On top of this: house, car, food, and sometimes even taxes is paid for the players

One thing I was surprised to see is that Matt was really loved by the Lakers fans that watched him this summer. Plenty were calling for him to be their 2-Way contract rather than Caruso, and I don't blame them. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a shot at a 2 way next year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
wonder what matt thomas made in spain this year - 400k? seems better than 35k in the g-league.
This is my speculation but I am at least conversant in the Spanish league teams. I don't think a lower revenue club like Obradoiro could pay that much. My guess is that it's something like half that amount. I think you can get up to that level in a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid (even higher) but "Obra" doesn't bring in huge crowds and only plays in the Spanish domestic league. Generally, you have to get to the teams that qualify for the Euroleague or Eurocup (Will Clyburn and Melvin are playing in clubs like that in Russia) that effectively are in two leagues at once to get those kinds of salaries.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Did a quick little search and it isn't listed anywhere but saw this write up on Euro League players salary.

Overseas pros make a huge range of salaries:

In Euro league: the best 30 players make somewhere between 1 and 3 million USD per year

In the top national leagues such as the ACB, VTB, ESAKE, BSL etc. most players will make between 5–10k a month

On top of this: house, car, food, and sometimes even taxes is paid for the players

One thing I was surprised to see is that Matt was really loved by the Lakers fans that watched him this summer. Plenty were calling for him to be their 2-Way contract rather than Caruso, and I don't blame them. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a shot at a 2 way next year.

The new G League Salaries will be bumped to 7 thousand per month which is in line with the top European national leagues then. Having full time health care, housing and schooling options (even is ASU) is a big jump from what they had before. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more raises in the near future once the new CBA is negotiated. The owners are seeing the advantages of having a farm club. There is also opportunity for more TV viewership on NBA TV and ESPN that could add revenue potential.

A lot of players would prefer to play in the US if the pay is competitive. There is the obvious benefit of being associated with a NBA team and getting trained and evaluated by them.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The new G League Salaries will be bumped to 7 thousand per month which is in line with the top European national leagues then. Having full time health care, housing and schooling options (even is ASU) is a big jump from what they had before. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more raises in the near future once the new CBA is negotiated. The owners are seeing the advantages of having a farm club. There is also opportunity for more TV viewership on NBA TV and ESPN that could add revenue potential.

A lot of players would prefer to play in the US if the pay is competitive. There is the obvious benefit of being associated with a NBA team and getting trained and evaluated by them.
Does the G League do it just for the months of the season, or for the whole year? I believe the Euro Leagues are per/month split into 12. This is all based on loose investigative research on Euro Bball sites haha, so I could be wrong.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Does the G League do it just for the months of the season, or for the whole year? I believe the Euro Leagues are per/month split into 12. This is all based on loose investigative research on Euro Bball sites haha, so I could be wrong.

I have seen some tweets floating today that said $7,000 per month X 5 = $35,000 total. That implies to me it just for per month during the season.
That also doesn't factor in 2 way contracts. For those players when promoted to the NBA team their pay get's bumped up per their signed contract.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I have seen some tweets floating today that said $7,000 per month X 5 = $35,000 total. That implies to me it just for per month during the season.
That also doesn't factor in 2 way contracts. For those players when promoted to the NBA team their pay get's bumped up per their signed contract.
Yeah, that is the big difference from Euro to G League, I believe. You can certainly make a lot more in Euro ball, but it's an easier road through the G League (for american born players)