"Mystery Candidates"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Beilein or Dixon at 2-3M per year would have been a SLAM DUNK. That being said, I am thrilled with the Prohm hire better than any of the other mystery candidates / scenarios. I think he is a GREAT fit and will be happy in Ames as long as he wants to be. Furthermore, I would love to see him build on the great foundation he is inheriting. Proof will be in the pudding though. While Iowa State is no Kansas, 4 out of the last 6 Coaches have made it to the Sweet 16 or Higher (Orr, Floyd, Eustachy and Hoiberg), and 3 of the last 5 have won either the Big 8 / 12 Regular Season or Tournament (Floyd, Eustachy and Hoiberg). So, let's see if Coach Prohm can cut down some Big Xii nets and get ISU to the Sweet 16 and beyond! Shoot for the Moon Iowa State University of Science and Technology Fighting Cyclones!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Were the mystery candidates truly candidates? Or just interviews to make it seem like a big time hiring process?

Also, it seems like Marshall will talk to anyone. I can't believe they dug so deep to keep him when he was being interviewed by Alabama in Wichita with everyone knowing it was going on.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
not overrated, but also not worth $4 million plus. In the end, yes he has sustained success... in the MVC. He has some big wins... but not very many. He's a great coach... but by several accounts is a little bit of an a-hole.

Would he have been more likely to sustain success at ISU? Initially, sure, but it's far from a sure thing. There are still plenty of questions about guys like Gregg Marshall and Shaka Smart regarding their ability to succeed at the power conference level.

Smart wasn't worth $4 million a year to Texas. He got 2.8. Why is Marshall worth $1.2 million more than him?

Because of the difference between UT and ISU. This is not a competitive, efficient market. Fred was worth more to ISU than he would be to UT- same coach, different value.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Marshall was 151-29 over the last five years with a Final Four, Sweet Sixteen, two other tournament appearances and an NIT championship (the first of those five years). I think WSU is paying him $3.3 million in the latest deal. He's definitely worth that, but $4 million is stretching it a bit. Plus, his personality is the anti-Fred. High ego, high intensity. Appears to be a ****.

Great coach, but I think you're right. In most interviews with him and articles done about him he certainly does come across as being exceptionally arrogant.

isu83

May 5, 2010
I agree that Marshall is in his niche. But he is a heck of a coach, defensively and offensively.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I agree that Marshall is in his niche. But he is a heck of a coach, defensively and offensively.

The point is do we want to pay a "heck of a coach" who has never coached at the P5 level Izzo/Self/Pitino money.

I don't think so.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
go-home-ferris-bueller.gif
tumblr_mvxjz5MqEi1r91oczo1_500.gif

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Thread has run it's course... a few times over. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.