My dad in the Armory in 1957 after KU victory

Jar_Lar

Jun 5, 2018
Ames, IA
Jared, I'm having trouble navigating through this one.
Every Iowa State Men’s Basketball Game Ever: The 1900s
Any tips on how best to pull up the info after the 1907-08, and 1908-09 years (or before)? Anything else there and how to access it, is my question.

Great otherwise!
Thank you for the kind words first off :)

Secondly, I'm only going a decade at a time, so because 1907-08 was our first season (and because the 1909-10 season exclusively played in 1910, it's only the two seasons we had during the 1900s.

Is it showing up as being blocked on your end? My hyperlinks should go to newspapers.com. https://emojipedia.org/grinning-face-with-sweat/

Have a fantastic Friday,

Jared

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Secondly, I'm only going a decade at a time, so because 1907-08 was our first season (and because the 1909-10 season exclusively played in 1910, it's only the two seasons we had during the 1900s.

Is it showing up as being blocked on your end? My hyperlinks should go to newspapers.com. https://emojipedia.org/grinning-face-with-sweat/

Have a fantastic Friday,

Jared
Your welcome, and thank you for doing them!

So you only have the one for BB done so far, the 1900's one?

I'm still not sure how to find them over at your site, other than the links you provided. I've played around over there from scratch, trying but couldn't. Not as intuitive as I'd hoped maybe. Am I doing something wrong?

Also why is your site a little light on the fan forum department? Is that by design or do you see it growing?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Have a fantastic Friday,

Jared
And btw, your hyperlinks to newspapers.com work fine from my end. :)

Looks like a great site, if you have need to subscribe.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And btw, your hyperlinks to newspapers.com work fine from my end. :)

Looks like a great site, if you have need to subscribe.
Also Jared, I love how we came up with the same idea. Only you thought of it first, and are actually doing it! Kudos!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Jar_Lar

5Throws

Jan 9, 2017
Looks like a horse pavilion.
It was designed initially with a dirt floor so that future officers could learn to ride horses. It still had a ROTC horse show when my dad was in ROTC just before WWII. After the war horses in the army were not such a big thing. So it grew a concrete floor and bleachers.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tried shooting some game pics back in March 1972 at Hilton. Between light, film, and for crap Vivitar lens the pics were so-so but since it was asked "What was Hilton like in the the first years" thought I'd share. It was fun looking up the players and remembering these guys.

Pictured:
I - Old Cy :)
12 - Gene Mack
31 - Martinez Denmon
40 - Tom O'Connor
42 - Rick Engel - Ames local
43 - Clint Harris
44 - Wayne Williams

Clint Harris March 1972.JPG Gene Mack March 1972.JPG Rick Engel March 1972.JPG 02-688 1000x626.jpg

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
The Armory was a cauldron and a wonderful place.LOUD! The transition to Hilton was marked by too lofty of expectations. But the crowd,even if not large,could still launch into that LOUD thing.One of my favorite early games in Hilton was when USC came to town with Paul Westphal. No pep band. But the crowd spontaneously launched into a fist-pumping “Let’s Go State!”chant as the team just about pulled off the upset. And in those early days,students were in the parquet on the bench side.Great times.There was “Hilton Magic” before that phrase was formed.Clint Harris (RIP), Martinez Denmon and Armory holdover Gene Mack — Will Mack play “belly-button defense”? And the late,great Maury John who had some good teams through cancer and those sky-high expectations.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Tried shooting some game pics back in March 1972 at Hilton. Between light, film, and for crap Vivitar lens the pics were so-so but since it was asked "What was Hilton like in the the first years" thought I'd share. It was fun looking up the players and remembering these guys.

Pictured:
12 - Gene Mack
31 - Martinez Denmon
40 - Tom O'Connor
43 - Clint Harris
44 - Wayne Williams

View attachment 83903 View attachment 83904 View attachment 83905 View attachment 83906
Thanks for those! Remember those guys well.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
The transition to the new stadium was under Earle and of course Iowa State got it going at Clyde Williams before that.First game in new digs was packed against Air Force. Clyde Williams Field was a bandbox-enclosed party.The new place was impressive to us with all the seating. And it could be cold out there but beating Nebraska helped you overcome frostbite.You got there early to grab seats for your friends. Coach Bruce was under some heat but came through. Buddy Hardeman!

Jar_Lar

Jun 5, 2018
Ames, IA
Your welcome, and thank you for doing them!

So you only have the one for BB done so far, the 1900's one?

I'm still not sure how to find them over at your site, other than the links you provided. I've played around over there from scratch, trying but couldn't. Not as intuitive as I'd hoped maybe. Am I doing something wrong?

Also why is your site a little light on the fan forum department? Is that by design or do you see it growing?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, had the vaccine on Thursday afternoon and have been aching since–appears my smell might finally be back though, that's a plus. I started these after testing positive for COVID and needing to put my mind on something "productive" (in addition to my summer capstone class, haha).

I believe that's just the nature of Vox Media/SB Nation sites, article up top and then "forum" area in the comment section below.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Pictured:
12 - Gene Mack
31 - Martinez Denmon
40 - Tom O'Connor
43 - Clint Harris
44 - Wayne Williams

View attachment 83903 View attachment 83904 View attachment 83905 View attachment 83906
I remember most of those guys. I was a little upset when Denmons' must have been grandson, recently went to, played for, and graduated from Missouri! Denmon was a good player.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, had the vaccine on Thursday afternoon and have been aching since–appears my smell might finally be back though, that's a plus. I started these after testing positive for COVID and needing to put my mind on something "productive" (in addition to my summer capstone class, haha).

I believe that's just the nature of Vox Media/SB Nation sites, article up top and then "forum" area in the comment section below.
Ah yes, the vaccine. My wife and I have just recently gotten both, the moderna, no side effects for us. Others have had some minor. Guess just depends, varies, both varieties.

Yeah the SB Nation it must be. I still can't find your archived stuff other than just your daily/weekly articles. Wonder if they could give certain things some better tags or index, in order to find stuff. Honestly I would have never found those articles you wrote unless you linked them to me here. Room for improvement I guess.

I did register to your site today and made my first post!, under user name of Tnoah, regarding your "Every Iowa State Football Game Ever: 1930's".

Seems kind of lonely over there? I do like your site though!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Jared, I'll take your word for it. DM coming.

Last edited:

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021

Good luck to you!!!