My dad in the Armory in 1957 after KU victory

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And @JStanz51, @ChrisMWilliams

I think it might be a great idea to do some CF articles on past ISU teams (BB here, but FB also). Perhaps break them down into 10 year increments or eras?

That would be very informative and of great interest to many of us.

I'll throw in another tidbit. I watched Eric Heft play freshman ball in the Armory. Freshman weren't eligible so we still had freshman teams in 1970-1971. Two guys from my dorm house were on the team so, even though it was freshman ball, we all went to watch every game.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'll throw in another tidbit. I watched Eric Heft play freshman ball in the Armory. Freshman weren't eligible so we still had freshman teams in 1970-1971. Two guys from my dorm house were on the team so, even though it was freshman ball, we all went to watch every game.
I wonder when they did away with the Freshman rule then?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I wonder when they did away with the Freshman rule then?

Football and basketball were allowed have freshmen on varsity starting in 1972 (FB) and 1972-73 (MBB).

Other sports got the nod earlier. Wrestling had a couple of four-time NCAA qualifiers who wrestled from 1969-72.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Wow! Thanks for finding these! My Dad (Larry) passed of dementia this past May during the early part of the COVID epidemic. We are actually planning a celebration of life for him in June of this year in my hometown of Jefferson, where he resided after college for almost 60 years. My Mom will be thrilled to use some of these photos in the celebration. Truly awesome to see these. Cyclone fans are amazing!❤
Was Arne Garde the starting PG in that game ? Followed the next year by Lyle Frahm ?
Gaarde's last year was '55-56.

Frahm and Thompson were the main starting guards in '56-57. Starting 5 for the win over Wilt (Jan '57) was Crawford, Vogt, Medsker, Thompson, Frahm.

Frahm was a starter in '57-58; Ron Baukol and Dic k Farwell shared the other starting guard spot, and Larry appears to have gotten a couple of starts opposite Frahm late in that season before becoming the full-time starter in '58-59.
Here's a great interview with Gary Thompson and Matt Van Winkle!!! Not sure the year or year recent? But looks like 3/26/21!!
Gary Thompson on Playing at Iowa State's Armory - YouTube

Reactions: NWICY

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Geezer, can I get your opinion? How do think Gary Thompson stacks up in terms of all-time great Cyclones, more specifically Cyclone guards? He was one generation before my time (I am 63). I wish I could have witnessed his play.

I never saw him play but I'll bet he could more than fit on any modern era Cyclone team and still be one of the standouts, even though only 5'10".

He was a 2nd team all-american, 2x 1st team all-big 7, player of the year big7, over Wilt. (He was also star shortstop for ISU baseball team that went to college world Series in 1957? Wow!)

What do think? What was he like?
Whoa ! That was 65 yrs. ago. I first saw him play in the state tournament when he was a soph. at Roland. They lost to Davenport in the final, 44-40 all schools in one bracket. Roland had less than 100 kids in school, Davenport had 2200. Gary was 5' 8" He could do it all. One game at ISu, Chuck Duncan was sick, Stranigan started Thompson at center, he could post up, and he was quicker than the defender. He could shoot long, floaters, and drive. There were no 3s, The NBA wasn't much. Gary was " hired "by Phillips 66 and played several years "amateur" ball, and ended up with the Phillips distributorship in central Iowa. I have watched lots of basketball in recent years. Gary Thompson was the best basketball player i ever saw' in person or on TV, but what do I know?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Whoa ! That was 65 yrs. ago. I first saw him play in the state tournament when he was a soph. at Roland. They lost to Davenport in the final, 44-40 all schools in one bracket. Roland had less than 100 kids in school, Davenport had 2200. Gary was 5' 8" He could do it all. One game at ISu, Chuck Duncan was sick, Stranigan started Thompson at center, he could post up, and he was quicker than the defender. He could shoot long, floaters, and drive. There were no 3s, The NBA wasn't much. Gary was " hired "by Phillips 66 and played several years "amateur" ball, and ended up with the Phillips distributorship in central Iowa. I have watched lots of basketball in recent years. Gary Thompson was the best basketball player i ever saw' in person or on TV, but what do I know?
Slept a few times since then, huh? Me too.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
No, that's saying a lot and I appreciate your opinion! I respect Gary so much! He was a great player and such a figure around Ames, then his career as a broadcaster for Phillips 66.

I'm gald Gary is still with us. He is a great Cyclone!

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY and NWICY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Whoa ! That was 65 yrs. ago. ... I have watched lots of basketball in recent years. Gary Thompson was the best basketball player i ever saw' in person or on TV, but what do I know?
Enough said, wow! I sure wish I could have seen the Roland Rocket!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My son (21) just involved in head on crash a couple hours ago. He's ok, both cars appear mostly totaled, about 40mph each way, on bend in country road. My son OK, bloody nose, all air bags deployed, other party mostly ok I hope, both of them went to ER. Oh boy I need to breathe. Now up to Insurance.

Life seems fragile. We were lucky.

Last edited:

Jar_Lar

Jun 5, 2018
Ames, IA
And @JStanz51, @ChrisMWilliams

I think it might be a great idea to do some CF articles on past ISU teams (BB here, but FB also). Perhaps break them down into 10 year increments or eras?

That would be very informative and of great interest to many of us.

That's a great idea, I hope you don't mind the shameless self promotion below.

Cyclone FB: 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.
Cyclone MBB: 1900s.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Waldo Wegner used to come to the games in Hilton, sat like 2 rows down from the concourse, if I remember right. A usher I was friends with pointed him out to me.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I probably need to revise my evaluation--- Gary was maybe the best player I ever saw IN HIS ERA. His game would not be approved by Cyclone Fanatics ---HE COULDN'T DUNK ! Actually, there were 4 players at ISU that could dunk during my years as a student. And they only dunked during warm up, I think Medsker dunked a few in games.. If Gary T could shed about 65 years, his game would look a lot like Bowen Born. Also, John Crawford was the first African-American to play at ISU

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I probably need to revise my evaluation--- Gary was maybe the best player I ever saw IN HIS ERA. His game would not be approved by Cyclone Fanatics ---HE COULDN'T DUNK ! Actually, there were 4 players at ISU that could dunk during my years as a student. And they only dunked during warm up, I think Medsker dunked a few in games.. If Gary T could shed about 65 years, his game would look a lot like Bowen Born. Also, John Crawford was the first African-American to play at ISU
That's OK, Gary was a great player, no way to deny that. We can also say he was one of the great players that year and of his era.

Athleticism has changed over the years, especially with the addition of black student athletes. I guess I am proud that ISU allowed and recruited John C. Was he ISU's first black BB player? How about football? Could have been sooner, could have been later. It was definitely a different time. So many things could have/should have changed after the Civil War, but were allowed to stay the same essentially, segregation etc., for so many years! Sad. Change has come slowly. Another story I guess.
Black participation in college basketball - Wikipedia

Thanks for your opinion! Who do you think was the next best ISU BB team after the "57 one? I started remembering the ISU teams with Don Smith, then Bill Cain.

Memories for me are rather vague though, even through the '70's. That's why I think some CF articles researching our past teams who be so great. It's easy to forget.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Waldo Wegner used to come to the games in Hilton, sat like 2 rows down from the concourse, if I remember right. A usher I was friends with pointed him out to me.
Alright! Need those stories about ISU BB (and FB) history more than ever! Waldo was in school in the '30's, played for ISU, ISU's first all-american, got his engineering degree. Awesome.
Waldo Wegner - Wikipedia

nautical12

Sep 2, 2009
Mason City
Had to share this with you guys. I was watching an alumni association video interview with Gary Thompson and they showed a still photo of the aftermath of Iowa State's legendary victory over Wilt Chamberlain and Kansas in 1957. My grandpa was an ROTC Sergeant and his office was in the Armory. My dad was sports editor of the Daily and covered a lot of basketball games there. When this photo popped up, my eyes went right to my dad on the court, carrying his camera, as he always was. A few feet away you can see Wilt the Stilt making his way off the court. Dad died in 2013 so it's always a thrill when I come across something like this. View attachment 83763
Awesome photo. Was this Perry Ellis' Freshman year?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Last edited: