Morgan Spurlock, who lived on McD's for 30 days, dies at 53.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Morgan Spurlock, the muckraking documentary filmmaker who chronicled a 30-day period when he ate only McDonald's food in the Oscar-nominated "Super Size Me," a project that helped raise awareness about the dangers of poor nutrition, died Thursday in New York from complications of cancer. In a professional directing career that spanned more than a decade, Spurlock bit into a wide range of sociopolitical issues, including the Bush-era War on Terror ("Where in the World Is Osama bin Laden?"), corporate power ("The Greatest Movie Ever Sold") and masculine identity ("Mansome"). He also directed the 3-D concert film "One Direction: This Is Us," released in 2013.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Lots of kind people online calling him a fraud and pointing out battles with drugs and alcohol. Why? Social media will be our downfall. (well maybe one of many!)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lots of kind people online calling him a fraud and pointing out battles with drugs and alcohol. Why? Social media will be our downfall. (well maybe one of many!)
You die that young it's probably not a stretch to believe that. Unless of course he simply had health issues.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia

Apparently he was a raging alcoholic during filming, but kept that fact hidden. So the liver problems he had in the film were probably due to his alcoholism and not McDs. Supposedly others tried to repeat his McDs diet experiment and never experienced similar health effects as him in his film. I’m not here to defend the nutrition of their food but sounds like guy was a total fraud.

Pretty sure multiple women also later accused him of assault etc

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
He’s a fraud because he had alcohol problem that he was open about? Or because people have differing results if they go on the same diet? Come on.
He claimed to be getting all of his calories from McDonald’s. That was a lie. The calorie amount he claimed to eat at McDonald’s would not correspond with his reported weight gain. Not a single university could replicate any of his supposed issues. Dude was a fraud.

Edit: RIP though

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I appreciate the info. I still say shitting on his grave isn't necessary.
I'd say while his alcohol intake should have been included in the super size me story, it existed before and so wasn't the change that caused his health deterioration solely.
The harrasment claims aren't good at all but I see he admitted them and said it's part of what caused him to also stop drinking.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Agree. I couldn't have picked this guy out of a police lineup, but we need to stop holding people to a standard of complete perfection.

News flash - nobody is perfect. Plenty of "great" people also had some serious negatives. George Washington, MLK, even Ghandi for crying out loud. Appreciate the good they did, and use the bad as a reminder/motivator that you don't have to be perfect to do some good too.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'd say while his alcohol intake should have been included in the super size me story, it existed before and so wasn't the change that caused his health deterioration solely.
The harrasment claims aren't good at all but I see he admitted them and said it's part of what caused him to also stop drinking.
But if one were to **** on his grave, how would they wipe?

Today on Cyclone Fanatic,

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He claimed to be getting all of his calories from McDonald’s. That was a lie. The calorie amount he claimed to eat at McDonald’s would not correspond with his reported weight gain. Not a single university could replicate any of his supposed issues. Dude was a fraud.

Edit: RIP though
I had read that he would never reveal what his daily McDs meals log.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Like it or not part of his legacy is being kind of sus during the biggest project of his life.
So is the claim he was drinking and abusing drugs during the documentary? If true that would be pretty sus considering he pickled his liver in 3 weeks.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So is the claim he was drinking and abusing drugs during the documentary? If true that would be pretty sus considering he pickled his liver in 3 weeks.
Yeah he later came out and revealed that he had been kind of a massive alcoholic for a long time, and one of the things his doctor said was that his liver was ******.