MONDAY MUSINGS: Why I'm not freaking out quite yet

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Yup, with our glorified scrimmage against IW, I basically consider us 2-3 right now. Both the next two weekends will be tough, but I am hopeful we can find one W. Then the schedule significantly eases up and we have a good chance at closing out with 6 straight.

Think we need Kempt back though. I think Kyle could have gotten the W against TCU. Zeb plays like he has one receiver, Butler.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yup, with our glorified scrimmage against IW, I basically consider us 2-3 right now. Both the next two weekends will be tough, but I am hopeful we can find one W. Then the schedule significantly eases up and we have a good chance at closing out with 6 straight.

Think we need Kempt back though. I think Kyle could have gotten the W against TCU. Zeb plays like he has one receiver, Butler.

Maybe. I don't know if it matters a whole lot which one is under center. I'm not crazy about guys losing their spot due to injury, but I don't think Noland has necessarily done anything to warrant going back to the bench either. It'll be a tough call for Campbell once Kempt is cleared to return.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
We have played 2 of the 3 toughest D's on our schedule (Iowa, TCU, w/ Texas still to come) and the most prolific O maybe in college football in OU and have been in all the games well into the 4th Quarter even with a very conservative / pedestrian offense. The D is getting better / stingier / nastier game by game. If we can see similar improvement from the O, 7-5 is well within reach.

Last year we went 1-4 against Texas, TTU, OSU, WV, and KSU. Flip that to 3-2 this year and with wins against Kansas, Baylor, and IW, that puts us right back at 7-5 record from last year.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Not freaking out yet but my concern is going up. We have OSU, WVU and then TT, WVU could not stop TT in the second half and could have lost easily without a pick 6. UT will be tough too.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We have played 2 of the 3 toughest D's on our schedule (Iowa, TCU, w/ Texas still to come) and the most prolific O maybe in college football in OU and have been in all the games well into the 4th Quarter even with a very conservative / pedestrian offense. The D is getting better / stingier / nastier game by game. If we can see similar improvement from the O, 7-5 is well within reach.

Last year we went 1-4 against Texas, TTU, OSU, WV, and KSU. Flip that to 3-2 this year and with wins against Kansas, Baylor, and IW, that puts us right back at 7-5 record from last year.
7-5 with 6 victories over the likes of IW, Akron, KU, Baylor etc isn’t a step forward. Sure, if you thought this team’s peak was 7 wins, you still have a decent chance for that.

Last year was a 7-5 regular season record with all 5 losses being winnable games. It’s not freaking out to realize that despite having a very good defense and an elite running back, the offense has resulted in it being unlikely that record is surpassed. A big part of that is the preparation disadvantage of the Iowa game, but there’s been zero development on offense.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Ideally, Zeb would have just taken the job and ran away with it but that didn't happen, now hopefully Kempt can come back and play well, If not, the QB spot will get the blame for how this season turns out, warranted or not. Sadly, Zeb played poor enough to already put some people in the Purdy camp for next season. I guess Brock's two plays for no gain against Akron impressed some on here.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Ideally, Zeb would have just taken the job and ran away with it but that didn't happen, now hopefully Kempt can come back and play well, If not, the QB spot will get the blame for how this season turns out, warranted or not. Sadly, Zeb played poor enough to already put some people in the Purdy camp for next season. I guess Brock's two plays for no gain against Akron impressed some on here.

Once you have a big enough sample size (5.8 games at ISU) and you don't think that guy has what it takes you ask for the unproven (but always hyped) back-up.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
7-5 with 6 victories over the likes of IW, Akron, KU, Baylor etc isn’t a step forward. Sure, if you thought this team’s peak was 7 wins, you still have a decent chance for that.

Last year was a 7-5 regular season record with all 5 losses being winnable games. It’s not freaking out to realize that despite having a very good defense and an elite running back, the offense has resulted in it being unlikely that record is surpassed. A big part of that is the preparation disadvantage of the Iowa game, but there’s been zero development on offense.

It is what it is. Not every season is going to be the same, not every game is going to be the same. Offense has been short 3 starters for the past 2 weeks, which does not help a lot. Last year ISU never lost a fumble, this year they have had multiple drops. Now, I am not going to argue that the offense is looking better or good or promising. On the other hand, we can't give up on them either. There is a fair amount of talent on that unit. They just can't seem to figure out how to use it. As frustrating as this is, it is still better than OU having us down by 40 at half and their guys all standing around laughing on the sideline. Not what we hoped for but certainly not hopeless.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
The problem I'm starting to see is cracks in the armor. The defense will grow to resent the offense and there will be some friction in the locker room. I expect our coaches to control the situation, but if this keeps up, there will be some altercation at some point. It won't be visible or made public, but behind the scenes you can bet the locker room will begin to separate.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The problem I'm starting to see is cracks in the armor. The defense will grow to resent the offense and there will be some friction in the locker room. I expect our coaches to control the situation, but if this keeps up, there will be some altercation at some point. It won't be visible or made public, but behind the scenes you can bet the locker room will begin to separate.

Yeah I don't see that happening.

And I've witnessed a RB punching a LB (breaking his jaw) in practice.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It is what it is. Not every season is going to be the same, not every game is going to be the same. Offense has been short 3 starters for the past 2 weeks, which does not help a lot. Last year ISU never lost a fumble, this year they have had multiple drops. Now, I am not going to argue that the offense is looking better or good or promising. On the other hand, we can't give up on them either. There is a fair amount of talent on that unit. They just can't seem to figure out how to use it. As frustrating as this is, it is still better than OU having us down by 40 at half and their guys all standing around laughing on the sideline. Not what we hoped for but certainly not hopeless.
Few are freaking out or melting down, but that’s preferable over the apathetic it-is-what-it-is mindset.

Finishing 6-6 or even 7-5 with a very good defense because the offense can’t break the top-100 with guys like DM and Butler and returning 4 linemen with starting experience, etc should result in many threads filled with complaints imo.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Didn't remember us being a "significant underdog" to the TOE.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think the OSU game will be the last data point you need for the season. If the offense looks better and we get the W, then we still look on track for 7-5 and should have a solid chance at a bowl win. If the offense is still struggling and we lose, I'd predict we are home for the holidays.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Freaking out is definitely too strong.
Disappointment has certainly set in. We had a chance to be really freaking good this year /next. But now it is clear we are one young creative OC away from being great.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
4-8 is my prediction. I said that after the Iowa game. I knew going into the season that their expectations were too high. I dont see 7 wins. Are you watching a different team then me?
We have been in every game this year until the end. I don't see that changing with the last 8 games. Should be able to win against IW, Kansas, and Baylor to get to 4 wins. Split with Texas, K-State, WVU, OSU, and TTU gets us to a 6-6 or 7-5 mark.

If we were getting run off the field like kNU is then I would agree that 4-8 might be the high water mark for the year...

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Few are freaking out or melting down, but that’s preferable over the apathetic it-is-what-it-is mindset.

Finishing 6-6 or even 7-5 with a very good defense because the offense can’t break the top-100 with guys like DM and Butler and returning 4 linemen with starting experience, etc should result in many threads filled with complaints imo.
Have we learned nothing from watching the TOE's basketball team to know that this is not always a good thing...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron