Monday Musings: The future is bright for Cyclone basketball

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
In my opinion Clyburn was a player who had a decent outside shot, could mix it up inside (rebound and play some defense) and slash towards the hoop. But he was the player that could get his own shot. If Nader is like that then I'm very excited about next year
Clyburn shot 30% on 3P's in his year at ISU. If that is decent, then Nader has shown to be just below decent. I am optimistic he can improve to "decent".
Nader can get his own shot, it is a matter if he makes that shot. When he was hot, he will win games. In HS and at NIU, it was shooting when he was not that drove his efficiency way down. His biggest asset is his handle at 6'6" or 6'7" and 220.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Clyburn shot 30% on 3P's in his year at ISU. If that is decent, then Nader has shown to be just below decent. I am optimistic he can improve to "decent".
Nader can get his own shot, it is a matter if he makes that shot. When he was hot, he will win games. In HS and at NIU, it was shooting when he was not that drove his efficiency way down. His biggest asset is his handle at 6'6" or 6'7" and 220.

You would think that being out there with guys like Niang and Hogue instead of whatever teammates he had at NIU will do wonders for his efficiency. It's Hoiball, so he'll be expected to shoot, but he won't be in a situation where he has to force the issue if good shots aren't there.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Clyburn is the best comparison I've seen for Nader.

I'd say he has a little bit of Will and Melvin. He is definitely more assertive than Clyburn was but doesn't isn't as skilled. More on Melvin's skill level as far as shooting/ball handling goes. He has a legitimate high-major body. Won't be afraid to bang. Nader, in my opinion, isn't being talked about enough with next year's team. That's probably a good thing. Flying under the radar usually is.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I'd say he has a little bit of Will and Melvin. He is definitely more assertive than Clyburn was but doesn't isn't as skilled. More on Melvin's skill level as far as shooting/ball handling goes. He has a legitimate high-major body. Won't be afraid to bang. Nader, in my opinion, isn't being talked about enough with next year's team. That's probably a good thing. Flying under the radar usually is.

It seems to me like his best position would be the 3, but with Fred I think he can play some in the post until McKay is eligible. He has the size and length to challenge shots in the post. I like the Will/Mel hybrid comparison.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I'll tell you what, I thought he was probably the most interesting player to watch in the CCL last summer (noting that Kane and Melvin didn't play in it). I know the CCL doesn't mean a lot, but you can get some things out of it, if you want to---for example if you watch him last summer, it didn't completely surprise you that Naz played a much bigger role this year.

I think the comparison you made to Will and Melvin is pretty spot on. In some ways, he kind of reminded me of Royce. Not saying that he is anywhere near where Royce was, but he kind of had the same 'bull in a china shop' type of vibe.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames

do you think he'll have enough of an outside shot that will allow ISU to start Nader, Hogue, Niang, and McKay (With Nader at the "two"?)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Hey don't forget about Thomas guys. He started early this year and obviously there is something that Fred see's otherwise he wouldn't have put him out there to begin with. If Thomas increases his handle and can start hitting some fade's he might be our #2. Excited to see what happens.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
People/players can be replaced, but chemistry of those players is a special thing. I hope we can replace that chemistry with these newcomers in the program. At least the tranfers thus far got to be part of the program to be indoctrinated. In Fred we trust.
Spot on! And Fred has always seemed to have a "team first" group. Also, Georges won't settle for less than 100% in terms of off season workouts, etc.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'll tell you what, I thought he was probably the most interesting player to watch in the CCL last summer (noting that Kane and Melvin didn't play in it). I know the CCL doesn't mean a lot, but you can get some things out of it, if you want to---for example if you watch him last summer, it didn't completely surprise you that Naz played a much bigger role this year.

I think the comparison you made to Will and Melvin is pretty spot on. In some ways, he kind of reminded me of Royce. Not saying that he is anywhere near where Royce was, but he kind of had the same 'bull in a china shop' type of vibe.

Nader seemed to bring a nice positive aggressiveness to CCL. He really played hard. And he really seemed to enjoy being with our guys. So he seems like an asset in terms of team chemistry.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
As long as Georges is here I won't worry about team chemistry. He may have even been the leader of this year's team, taking nothing away from Dre and Mel of course.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm betting the staff is looking at SDW or MT to take on some PG duties next year.

SDW maaaaaybe. Thomas no chance in hell. And SDW probably no chance in hell, although he did show some PG skills. Custer is a true point though and I expect him to be the backup.

Thomas doesn't make any sense at all.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I'm betting the staff is looking at SDW or MT to take on some PG duties next year.

I doubt it. I think Clayton Custer is going to surprise a lot of people next year. I'm shocked to see how little he gets talked about on the board. I think he'll be a good 10-15 minute guy to spell Man Man at the point. If anything Georges will be the backup point guard if Fred wants to keep a shorter bench still.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I doubt it. I think Clayton Custer is going to surprise a lot of people next year. I'm shocked to see how little he gets talked about on the board. I think he'll be a good 10-15 minute guy to spell Man Man at the point. If anything Georges will be the backup point guard if Fred wants to keep a shorter bench still.

As of right now, he is the only other primary ball-handler on the roster, so he if he is anywhere near ready, he will get time. Even if we do add an elite combo like BDJ, Custer will have games where he gets good minutes, especially in the non-conference. Obviously it depends on what we do with the last scholarships, but can he be like Tyler Lewis, formerly on NCST?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron