MONDAY: Big 12 press conference scheduled for 5:30

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Leath seems to be a little less cryptic in the way he talks about these things. Hopefully he provides more details on some of the gray area when he fields questions from our media.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Pretty sure this is all on Boren. He came out of no where and started talking about how weak the conference is. Bowlsby can't control that is Boren the loose cannon.

I'm not big fan of Bowlsby, but this expansion fiasco falls completely on Boren, exactly as you stated. He dragged this into the public arena, and then backed out. The next announcement we can hope to hear is the OU regents sending Boren packing.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Boren basically says the GoR wasn't brought up because they want to save that to use as a negotiating tactic when the media deal gets close to renewing.

I don't understand this at all. What difference does it make if we sign a new GoR now and make the conference stable until 2035 versus waiting until the next negotiations come up?

I think Boren is full of BS in that press conference. If the conference is as committed and stable as he keeps claiming it is, then sign a new GoR right now, why not? OU and UT want out IMO.

CYandIareBFFs

Jan 24, 2011
Milwaukee
Boren basically says the GoR wasn't brought up because they want to save that to use as a negotiating tactic when the media deal gets close to renewing.

I don't understand this at all. What difference does it make if we sign a new GoR now and make the conference stable until 2035 versus waiting until the next negotiations come up?

I think Boren is full of BS in that press conference. If the conference is as committed and stable as he keeps claiming it is, then sign a new GoR right now, why not? OU and UT want out IMO.

Exactly this. They didn't want to bring in two new universities then have SHTF in a few years during negotiations, dip from the conference, and face possible legal bs. Just vote no and stay quiet until negotiations and slip off quietly into the night to their new conferences. Baltimore Colts style.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
BYU people furious. Calling out ISU as a nobody. I told them on cougarboard no one here thinks we're anything special to the conference so belittling is doesn't really phase us.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
BYU people furious. Calling out ISU as a nobody. I told them on cougarboard no one here thinks we're anything special to the conference so belittling is doesn't really phase us.

I think we are special...just not special in TV markets or football tradition. And that's all that matters.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
tumblr_mq1jo57hXL1rlo1q2o1_500.jpg

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So Boren forces this situation only to find out the networks still control the money situation 100%, no matter what OU's ego thinks.

This isn't over. Next contract negotiation will be...interesting...in terms of the level of trust these school presidents have in the others to stick together. We know how that went last time!

I'm not of the mindset the Big 12 is necessarily over as a result of todays developments, because there are so many reasons why OU and Bevo should want the Big 12 to remain as their home. But it needs to have the prestige of any other top conference and we really only judge that by the amount of money the conference is worth to TV.

So we shall see.

I hope to Christ the expansion thread gets buried on CF for a long damn time.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

Just gives me another reason to harass them when they knock on my door!!! I once did a reverse sell on them about about aliens. It was hilarious. It's just as believable as magic plates in Missouri!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
So Boren forces this situation only to find out the networks still control the money situation 100%, no matter what OU's ego thinks.

This isn't over. Next contract negotiation will be...interesting...in terms of the level of trust these school presidents have in the others to stick together. We know how that went last time!

I'm not of the mindset the Big 12 is necessarily over as a result of todays developments, because there are so many reasons why OU and Bevo should want the Big 12 to remain as their home. But it needs to have the prestige of any other top conference and we really only judge that by the amount of money the conference is worth to TV.

So we shall see.

I hope to Christ the expansion thread gets buried on CF for a long damn time.

Yeah I said this when Boren first started pouting, but the biggest mistake we made at that time was to show dysfunction when the ACC was struggling to get their network started. Showing unity at that time would of gone a long way in staying ahead of the ACC on the perceived dysfunctional conference chart. In the end, the ACC got what they needed so its probably a moot point, however, the Pac 12 is struggling with their network. If the Big 12 is able to be the first to start a digital network, and it takes off at a time when basic cable it dying a slow death, we will be fine.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron