Moline for work

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
For a young, single person, living in downtown Moline would be fine. Recent improvements have made the area much better than when I grew up there. Another plus is the iWireless center near downtown. They host hockey games and concerts. I would avoid living in IA just because of the bridges.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I lived straight up the hill, 8 blocks south of the Mark (or whatever it's called now) in Moline on 16th St. I liked the neighborhood. At that time it was working class, and there was a little bar district within walking distance. Rascals was one of the bars and at the time had the best jukebox selection I've ever seen. Also a cheap cab down the hill to Bier Stubbe and the other Moline nightlife bars/restaurants. I never noticed extra traffic in my neighborhood during concerts it's just a busy area in general.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I live in the Quad Cities as well and would recommend downtown Moline for the type of living you're looking for. In addition to the lofts that were mentioned, I have several friends that have lived in apartments that are actually located above a couple of the bars down there. I don't know what they're called, but one was above the Bier Stube and one is above Barrel House. Both nice apartments in a good location. The only issue the one friend had that lived above Bier Stube was on Kareoke night.

I designed and built the draft system in Bier Stube when I worked for Miller/Coors. I had lunch there a couple months ago when I was back and didn't see the old german (Dieter i believe). Hope he's still kicking, hellofa nice guy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
OK, but then, as my post below....the frickin' 74 bridge should have been have replaced a long time ago as well....and the east/west flow there threw me too...I was taking:

The references to "north span" and "south span" to mean the two separate bridges of the I-74 bridge, I didn't take north and south as one side of the river and the other side of the river.

Are we talking like these are equivalent to the I-35 Minneapolis bridge that went down?

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
Are we talking like these are equivalent to the I-35 Minneapolis bridge that went down?

Maybe. It's pretty rickety and kinda scary to think that close to 100k cars drive over it a day. Even more scary is that the Centennial Bridge is supposedly in the worst condition of the QC bridges (although they are closing it for over a month to do repairs starting next month).

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
I worked on some very preliminary alignments in the early 80's. At that time it was envisioned just upstream from the Government bridge. Planning in earnest really started in the 90's. A $1.4B project doesn't get built overnight. With over $150M spent to date and the vast majority funded, it is going to happen.

Taxpayers are actually going to save money by seeing it built in 3.5 years instead of the original plan of 5 years. That is at a cost of major headaches during construction. Back to original question, anybody considering a new job in the QC should try to live on the side of the River you are going to be working in. Rock Island is a bit of a pit, but you can get a hell of a house for $150K.

Just stay south of the hill around 18th Ave and east of 11th St and it's fine!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Centennial (US 67) hasn't had a toll for probably 10 years.

I thought I typed 67. Apparently I missed the 7 key when I was typing.

I did make an error by referring to it as the toll bridge. It was 11 years ago that I moved away, and haven't driven across the Centennial since then. That's cool that it's not a toll bridge anymore.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I thought I typed 67. Apparently I missed the 7 key when I was typing.

I did make an error by referring to it as the toll bridge. It was 11 years ago that I moved away, and haven't driven across the Centennial since then. That's cool that it's not a toll bridge anymore.

I think they kind of had to - why would you pay to take the Centennial Bridge when the Government Bridge is a few blocks away and is free? Which means the Government Bridge was getting more traffic than it was designed for and had the nasty habit of being closed because the span was swung open to let a barge pass through. But ever since they made the Centennial Bridge free, it's become functionally obsolete as it now carries a lot more traffic than it was designed for.

Help Support Us

Become a patron