MLB season on the verge of shutting down.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
There are still folks who believe:
1. If you don't feel symptoms, you don't have it.
2. If you don't feel symptoms, it can't be spread.
And some probably still believe it will disappear--because someone said it will.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Well, yes.

Scientists really don't have conclusive evidence yet, but some believe asymptomatic carriers might be slightly less contagious than symptomatic carriers, but they are still contagious for sure.

So I don't think it really matters as far as playing sports go if players on your team are symptomatic or asymptomatic.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Two things - first, MLB did a terrible job planning their season schedule out and their plan to deal with COVID. Frankly, it’s almost as if they didn’t do any planning, and just hoped it would work out keeping the same general series structure as usual.

Second - As we’ve learned all it takes is one player to be an idiot and go out to the club to infect a bunch of teammates and cause a major issue. They’ve gotta isolate strictly at home and on road trips and do it now, and effectively, if we are going to have a real chance at completing this season.

OK, 3 things - selfishly I really really want to have this season continue. Come on baseball, get it together! I’ve been loving having sports to watch and I really don’t have much hope for football season.

I do too. I don't care about baseball but if they can't figure it out than there is no way football can.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Two things - first, MLB did a terrible job planning their season schedule out and their plan to deal with COVID. Frankly, it’s almost as if they didn’t do any planning, and just hoped it would work out keeping the same general series structure as usual.

Second - As we’ve learned all it takes is one player to be an idiot and go out to the club to infect a bunch of teammates and cause a major issue. They’ve gotta isolate strictly at home and on road trips and do it now, and effectively, if we are going to have a real chance at completing this season.

OK, 3 things - selfishly I really really want to have this season continue. Come on baseball, get it together! I’ve been loving having sports to watch and I really don’t have much hope for football season.

Yeah honestly it was nice to see something live even with the adjustments and you hope it works out.

But there's gotta be some consequences for such sheer stupidity this far into the pandemic. And 'well they're just young people' just doesn't apply here. They signed a contract, for a job, like an adult, and adult behavior should be the expectation.

It has to be embarrassing at some point to know you caused the season to end because you couldn't handle getting paid to stay in a hotel room until the next day.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah honestly it was nice to see something live even with the adjustments and you hope it works out.

But there's gotta be some consequences for such sheer stupidity this far into the pandemic. And 'well they're just young people' just doesn't apply here. They signed a contract, for a job, like an adult, and adult behavior should be the expectation.

It has to be embarrassing at some point to know you caused the season to end because you couldn't handle getting paid to stay in a hotel room until the next day.

Right, but those consequences will also affect millions of fans who have been doing a good job of being smart. I agree with much of your post but it will be the fans who will be punished too if the season is canceled, and that sucks. Plus, if baseball with no fans can’t work, then there is no hope for a football season in the near future, which also really sucks.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to tune in to watch Tanaka pitch tonight. Like the guy and it might be the only time I get to see him this year. :oops:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Of course it's the Cardinals. What a waste of space and oxygen. Both the org and their fans. ******* east coast douchers stuck in the Midwest. It's no surprise that every boy that sucks at tee ball ends up a Cardinals fan.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So if the season augers in what is the stipulation on pay? Go home and cash in your millions?

Edit: Found this "Should a partial season take place, players will earn on a pro-rated basis." They were playing the 60 gamer at 37% of salary. So not sure what happens if they only play like 8 or 10 games.

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
So if the season augers in what is the stipulation on pay? Go home and cash in your millions?

Edit: Found this "Should a partial season take place, players will earn on a pro-rated basis."

There's a reason why Manfred publicly told Tony Clark that the season is at risk.

But the problem is that baseball players are the dumbest of all the major sport athletes.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Maybe NBA brass should make blanket policy for all sports and the federal government.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
MLB really screwed the pooch. There was gonna be problems but there clearly was not a plan.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
MLB really screwed the pooch. There was gonna be problems but there clearly was not a plan.

Closed spring training style bubble. Maybe one for nl and one for AL then the world series moves to one site.

Could never work for college sports and difficult for NFL. It's clearly the right choice for NBA, mlb and NHL.

NBA looking good time after time compared to most national leadership.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Pretty clear there was a plan. Found the executive summary on Manfred’s computer.

Plan: Hope no one gets coronavirus

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I’m just hoping the NFL doesn’t follow this model. Go to a bubble and have games every day of the week

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I’m just hoping the NFL doesn’t follow this model. Go to a bubble and have games every day of the week

That isn’t physically possible in football. A game a week is all the body can handle.

Edit - unless you mean staggering games but that would cause schedule problems.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
They're in countries that took containment seriously. We're trying to start a bunch of sports again at the worst possible time.
My response here is neither to claim that the US has done a great job with Covid, nor is it to say that Covid is NOT serious (it is very bad). BUT, to say that Europe somehow took this virus "more serious" is quite a nebulous statement. If by "more serious" you mean "wearing masks" - that is definitely not true. Here is an article that goes country by country in Europe and their policy on masks and social distancing (notice how many did NOT mandate masks except in public transport and some businesses). https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-coronavirus-post-lockdown-rules-compared-face-mask-travel/

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron