Mizzou to SEC "inevitable and imminent"

D

DistrictCyclone

What are we arguing about?

I completely agree, the SEC has the best collection of great teams in college football. Who WOULDN'T want to play against UGA, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, etc.? That's why we're leaving.

And I agree, there are 4 "doormats" (depending on the year). Win your OOC games, and beat the doormats, and that's 6-8 wins per year. That's a good foundation to build on; most of us would be happy with that.

Nobody's expecting to compete with the SEC with a Big 12 budget. The athletics budget has steadily increased over the past decade. The facilities are on par with most other programs (or so said Adam Rittenberg, ESPN's Big 10 blogger). If we increased the capacity of Faurot Field by 50% (from 71K to 106.5K) we'd have the largest stadium in the conference (along with Tenn.) and one of the largest in the nation. That's PROBABLY not necessary...

The SEC TV payout is better, and very few on the Missouri side believe the optimistic numbers tossed around for the Big 12's next deal.

Let's be careful flinging those stones so close to the glass house, District. I can't believe I'm DEFENDING KU here, but most inept football program? Hardly.
LIFETIME WINNING PCT:

Missouri - .547
Kansas - .506
Iowa State - .461
Fortunately, there's KSU, and it's .433 winning pct. to make us all feel better.

You don't need to quote Missouri history for me. We were good, then we were just OK, then we were really bad, and now we're good again. It is what it is.

What I want to make clear is that even if we struggle in the SEC, we're still going to keep competing. Just like ISU wouldn't want to downgrade conferences despite their record, Missouri's not going to tire of the SEC because we lose a lot to elite teams. We do that already.

Lots of teams have moved conferences in the past 15 years. Show me ONE that wished they were in their old conference (assuming it is still around) after moving. Is Missouri going to be the first?

1) Winning all of your OOC and doormat games is not a gimme for anyone, especially for Missery, where the SEC doormats will be your peers. Vandy is probably the only school you'd be able to count on beating every year.

2) So a Big 10 blogger is the authority on SEC athletic facilities? How does that square with the fact that your current athletics budget would rank near the bottom of the SEC? Moving to the SEC and not being a doormat requires a huge, huge committment, and I think people are right to question whether Missery is willing (and able) to step up.

3) You don't have a clue about future payout amounts, and neither do I. Let's not pretend to understand something we have little or no concrete knowledge of.

4) I said KU was one of the most inept football programs, and you're disagreeing? They've gone even longer than you without winning a conference title (1930s, I think?). They're bad. Saying they're better than K-State and ISU doesn't change that.

5) A lot of people think Boston College to the ACC was a bad move. Penn State still pouts about being excluded from the Big East when it formed back in the day and many still view the Big Ten as a 2nd choice (one of Paterno's dreams was being in a conference full of former independents on the East Coast). There isn't a lot of precedent here, but I don't think there's been a case so iffy and questionable as Missery to the SEC, either. It says something when there are this many doubters.

6) If you think that Missery losing a lot of games is the only or even primary reason why many think this is a bad move, you're missing the point. Missery will be entering a whole different world, nay, universe if they make this move. SEC recruiting is cutthroat (you think it's coincidence that so many of their programs are perrenial rules violators?). Being in the SEC requires an absolutely massive financial committment to athletics; even if Missery is able to drastically and rapidly inflate their athletics budget, it could be to the detriment of the student athlete and the university as a whole (have you looked at anything the Knight Commission has produced?). This would not be a promotion; it would be a complete career change.

The funniest thing about this ordeal is that so many Missery fans are dumb enough to believe that their possible invitation to the SEC is because Missery is good at football. The SEC needs another team to have even divisions, peroiod. Whichever team that is will be a space filler. With the SEC's options for this basically at MU or WVU, MU would get the nod for one reason only: KC and STL tv markets. They'd be accepting you despite your weak football tradition. You're hooking up with a gold-digger, but you think it's because he appreciates your personality; I find that hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
I agree. I'm through trying to make my case to Mizzoulander; that guy's hopeless.

Seriously, why hasn't he been banned yet? If he says "we ..." one more time I think I'm gonna puke. This is the ISU board and "we" means ISU fans. If he wants to be part of a "we", he outta go back where he came from.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
I agree. I'm through trying to make my case to Mizzoulander; that guy's hopeless.

What "case" are you trying to make? I AGREE with you!

Yes, the SEC has some awesome football programs...I agree.

Yes, their recruiting is intense...I agree.

Yes, we're getting the invite because of Missouri TV markets (and because 13 is an odd number and we're not handcuffed to another state school)...I agree.

The only points I'd disagree with are 1) you can't really call a team with a winning pct better than .500 "inept" - conf. championships or not; and 2) show me any BC or PSU fans that would choose the Big East over their respective conferences. Kudos to both schools for having the foresight to join stable leagues. But minor points.

On every other point, from MU's W/L record in the SEC, to the money payouts, to the future of the Big 12, it will all play out in time. We'll sit back, and see what happens.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Funny how the only posts MUL aka SECwoody doesn't respond to all those that question his existance on CF. Maybe he thinks we give a rats *** about MU.

News flash - we don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISUAgronomist
D

DistrictCyclone

What "case" are you trying to make? I AGREE with you!

show me any BC or PSU fans that would choose the Big East over their respective conferences. Kudos to both schools for having the foresight to join stable leagues. But minor points.

My case is that this is a boneheaded, emotional move on the part of Missery that will lead to decades of futility and regret. Glad we agree on that.

You're ignoring the counterfactual; the Big East would likely be a very, very different place today if it had counted PSU among its members for the past 20 years. They signed their own death certificate when they voted to exclude them back in the day. Your whole definition of stability is flawed, because you assume its something exogenous to the members of a conference. The only thing that makes the Big 12 more "unstable" than the SEC is that the Big 12 has ONE member with wandering eyes (looking in your direction, Missery). Once you guys pull your head out, the Big 12 is arguably the most stable league in the nation; do any other conferences have a grant of rights from their members?

Please, just leave already.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Guess MO will be the SEC Sewanee replacement. When they play LSU every year, it will be like gators in the back the station wagon.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Maybe...it's not like we haven't been there before.

Although, if we still have 4 NC games, our scheduling strategy is going to be even softer than it was before. We usually sign up 1 BCS opponent, 1-2 mid-majors (like the MAC or MWC), and 1 FCS school. You play an SEC schedule, and you don't need to worry about SOS.

So that's 3-4 wins right there. Even if only beat Vandy and Kentucky, we're still about bowl eligible. Sneak out another win or two, and that's a successful season.

I'm not arguing we won't get killed by the top of the SEC. But I don't think we'll lose to EVERY SINGLE middle team (Ole Miss, MSU, Ark., SC, etc.) EVERY SINGLE year.

Even when we stunk, we still routinely drew 50K+ for home games. It'll be fun to see what happens.
Did you just say "worry about SOS"? Really? There are only a handful of schools (Mizzou isn't one of them) that can have 1 loss and still get in the BCS champ. game. SOS matters some to the computers, but that is only 1/3 of the BCS ranking.

Doesn't matter what your SOS is, you pretty much have to go undefeated. Call us up when you go undefeated and are passed over by a 1-loss team because your SOS wasn't good enough -- be it in the Big 12 or SEC -- with 100% creampuff non-conference schedule.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron