Minnesota Vikings new stadium's address is WHAT?

ronandkay

Jul 25, 2014
This is the kind of thing that happens to teams like the Cleveland Browns or the Detroit Lions, but the fact is the Vikings new stadium is located on "Chicago Avenue" & the city council voted UNANIMOUSLY not to change it to "Vikings Way" this past week is even more astounding! Not sure which is worse for Vikings fans, the name of the avenue on which the new stadium is built or the missed FG in last years playoff game vs Seattle?

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...-has-one-big-problem-and-the-city-wont-fix-it

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
The city council I am pretty sure was against the stadium, or at least took a lot of flack for it. Bunch of hippies trying to protect birds or something like that. This isn't a problem the proper application of money can't fix.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I look for this to be a critical issue in this November's election. Any candidate trying to unseat a council member should be making signs and advertisements today.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The city council I am pretty sure was against the stadium, or at least took a lot of flack for it. Bunch of hippies trying to protect birds or something like that. This isn't a problem the proper application of money can't fix.

Hey a 100 Million birds die every year in window strikes. As a Viking Fans since the mid-60's I see the new stadium design is a nightmare deathtrap for night flying migrants. Some early September day get a garbage bag and go pick up the feathered "litter". As a person who as studied bird populations my advice is better enjoy what we still have.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Serves them right for not moving to LA.
Never should have built that stadium on the taxpayer dollar.

The Vikings generate so much income for the surrounding community that this shouldn't be an issue. I have never understood this argument, I would gladly let them claim more tax from the Des Moines metro (where I live) if that meant we could have a professional team of some kind.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
The Vikings generate so much income for the surrounding community that this shouldn't be an issue. I have never understood this argument, I would gladly let them claim more tax from the Des Moines metro (where I live) if that meant we could have a professional team of some kind.

I'm sure the neighboring community appreciates the business the 8 weekends of the year that there is a home game. No way does that make up for the tax bill.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There are 5 million people in Minnesota, 500$ million for part of a new stadium is equal to 100$ a person....I have a hard time believing your tax hike was all that significant.
So someone that lives in Ely should foot the bill for a Minneapolis team that's owned by a billionaire?
I don't have as much of a problem with the stadium, I have a problem with why they couldn't work out a permanent solution with the Gophers into 1 stadium.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
That's bad, why don't they just rename it Lambeau West Road. Or Rodgers Avenue. Or better yet, Favre goes back to pass, he pumps, fires over the middle, intercepted I cant believe what I'm seeing right now Lane.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
This is the kind of thing that happens to teams like the Cleveland Browns or the Detroit Lions, but the fact is the Vikings new stadium is located on "Chicago Avenue" & the city council voted UNANIMOUSLY not to change it to "Vikings Way" this past week is even more astounding! Not sure which is worse for Vikings fans, the name of the avenue on which the new stadium is built or the missed FG in last years playoff game vs Seattle?

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...-has-one-big-problem-and-the-city-wont-fix-it

Good on the Council. This is such a stupid issue to waste time with. It's Chicago.... not Bears Avenue.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I'm sure the neighboring community appreciates the business the 8 weekends of the year that there is a home game. No way does that make up for the tax bill.

Yeah cuz we only use football stadiums for football games. Nobody would ever want to throw a concert, soccer, baseball (middle, high school, and community college), super bowl, or any other event in that thing ever. That would just be too smart.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I hate the argument that there is no basis for the $500+ million investment from the municipality. Now do I think they should get that, no but I can see how someone could justify it.

Just players salaries alone generate $13+ million a year. Plus Jock tax of $2m plus a year. That is $15million a year the state is out if they move. Does it pay $500m bond probably not. But there are a lot of other taxes and revenue generated by having a sports team. Let's not act like minneapolis is just out $500m here.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Isn't this the exact same site as the Metrodome? Did Chicago Ave. Just suddenly appear?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Waste of time and money on the name change. Who gives a ****, about pisshead stuff like this.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
There are 5 million people in Minnesota, 500$ million for part of a new stadium is equal to 100$ a person....I have a hard time believing your tax hike was all that significant.

went to one Viking game in my life. An August pre-season game with a young Peyton Manning vs Culpepper. Manning just chewed up that defense

It was in the 80's outside. In the Dome, many young blonde nordic chicks in tight purple shirts and shorts roaming the stands

lol

Last edited:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Bear down, Chicago Bears,
make every play clear the way to victory.
put up a fight with a might so fearlessly.
We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation
with your T formation.
and let them know why you're wearing the crown.
You're the pride and joy of Illinois,
Chicago Bears, bear down!

Help Support Us

Become a patron