Midlands

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
That's a problem the whole team has this year. Stepping in to shots and then stopping.

It's half measures, all the time. Do you not see a pattern here? You wrestle how you practice. Our guys might have ability all over, but second guess themselves all the time? Are they limited by shape? Drive? Be the wrestler moving forward, not into takedowns, but controlling angles and opportunities for your own takedown.

I can't believe that Pollard is sitting back watching this and taking a casual attitude. Coach, your guys have to start delivering.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I wanted to give KJ a fair shake and I think we have done that. But watching Iowa and ISU this year... It's like we are competing in 2 different sports. We are so unbelievably far away from the top programs. We are closer to Princeton than we are to Iowa. Something has to change and soon.

Honeslty. We can't do any worse.

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
I wanted to give KJ a fair shake and I think we have done that. But watching Iowa and ISU this year... It's like we are competing in 2 different sports. We are so unbelievably far away from the top programs. We are closer to Princeton than we are to Iowa. Something has to change and soon.

Honeslty. We can't do any worse.

We'll peak in March.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Shape is definetly an issue, but I don't think its because the guys don't work hard or are not putting the work in. Has to be something with the way we are training, a mental thing or off the mat issues. I have no inclination one way or the other but I do know for the amount of time these guys put in on the mat and weight room they should not be that tired.

To me, Tanner was clearly more aggressive in that match, but that seemed to be exactly what the purdue kid wanted. TW still had a good tournament. The rest of the team, not so much. Was hoping for more out of Earl, Gabe, Boston, Harrington, spoon and our 57 lbers. I actually think the best I've seen Tanner wrestle was at Midlands his True Freshman year. Will keep supporting the team until the end of the year, but it is frustrating. Guys still have plenty of chances to prove themselves, but I'm feeling a bit more pessimistic than I was pre-Midlands.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I thought Tanner wrestled as aggressive as I have seen all year. Welch catches a lot of guys with that. Glad to have Tanner wrestle him before Nationals, similar to Peters.

Earl was frustrating. Majors Beckman, but loses to Giraldo and barely beats Pae and never gets a good shot off against Montoyo. After Clark went down, Earl is the 2nd best in the field.

Do not see anybody wrestling like an AA, but see potential in Tanner, Earl, and Lelund.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Looking at the results a day later...

125: Larson did about what I'd expect, pick up a win and then lose to decisions. But I'd been hoping for more from Boston. is win over the D-III kid as nice, since the top ranked D-III guy is usually somebody who'd at least be ranked in D-I. But GIllette, the guy who knocked him out, isn't anything special and since he's a Big XII guys that impacts seeding in Kansas City. I think Boston showed he probably deserves the spot over Larson but not by much. Hopefully he can pick it up with some more matches under his belt.

133: Hall is so frustrating to watch sometimes when he cuts people with either no time or no intention of getting a takedown. He's got the talent to AA but sometimes lacks the mindset. He'll drop in the rankings next week.

141: Wonder what was up with Dante and hope Meeks injury isn't bad. Incomplete I guess, but this weight still isn't settled and neither guy is where they were expected to be pre-season

149: Gabe did fine up until that last match. I wasn't watching it, did he get caught or was it a legit turn and pin? I think he'll remain ranked about the same. Qualifier for sure, should win a couple matches, probably tops out at R12

157: Had been hoping for another in or two out of these guys and for one of them to take control of the weight. But like 141 it remains up in the air.

165: Weatherman beat the guys he was supposed to, which is more than you can say about him in some events this year. It is looking like another R12 year for Tanner.

174: The Cody Walters loss doesn't bother me, he's a good wrestler who ended up winning it. But I would have liked to see him get a win over Bukackus, that one wasn't a "bad" loss but it wasn't a good one. I think Weatherspoon stays ranked about the same. He's on track for a low seed at NCAAs.

184: I thought Pestano would just be a warm body but if NCAA allocations came out today he'd probably have one. He's been a very pleasant surprise and if Downey is beating him in the room that's a good sign we'll be able to count on some NCAA points out of him.

197: Incomplete for Harrington. He got a decent win over Coburn but then ran in to two AA caliber guys in a row. Needs to work on his conditioning for sure but it is to early to tell what to expect out of him based on just those three matches.

HWT: Smith hasn't shown the improvement from last year to this one that he showed from freshman year to sophomore year. Was hoping to see more out of him this year but he's likely going to be on the outside looking in come NCAAs.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Staying healthy is going to be key.

For UNI, is sounds like Cooper Moore and Dylan Peters (esp Moore) are dealing with injuries. Not sure what is happening with Caldwell an Cabell.

Cory Clark is dealing with a leg/back injury.

We are relatively healthy, but need to focus or get tougher. Seen some of that in Tanner this weekend.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am really hoping to see Kyle Larson and Quean Smith qualify Nationals before their careers are over at Iowa State.

cyfan9

Aug 27, 2011
I am really hoping to see Kyle Larson and Quean Smith qualify Nationals before their careers are over at Iowa State.

Do you think Larson will have the spot this year? Sounds like Boston might not be able to make weight next year so Larson could have next year too. With the expanded conference there will be a better opportunity to steal a spot. I don't think either will qualify a spot for themselves.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Do you think Larson will have the spot this year? Sounds like Boston might not be able to make weight next year so Larson could have next year too. With the expanded conference there will be a better opportunity to steal a spot. I don't think either will qualify a spot for themselves.

Definitely not this year. Larson would have to basically win every match from here on out to get a spot, and while Quean actually has a pretty decent record, out of our 7 remaining duals (outside of Virginia Duals since opponents aren't known yet) he'll get five guys currently in the top 20. They both are going to have to steal spots at Big XIIs.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Definitely not this year. Larson would have to basically win every match from here on out to get a spot, and while Quean actually has a pretty decent record, out of our 7 remaining duals (outside of Virginia Duals since opponents aren't known yet) he'll get five guys currently in the top 20. They both are going to have to steal spots at Big XIIs.

Quean is a bit of an enigma to me. It seems like he could be so much better. He is very quick for his size.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Quean is a bit of an enigma to me. It seems like he could be so much better. He is very quick for his size.
Quean kind of strikes me as a wrestler that has a skill set, but then gets into the mind set that he's not as good so he makes dumb decisions (trying to throw lateral drops all the time).