Memphis weather on the day after the Liberty Bowl (visiting the National Civil Rights Museum)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We also arranged to have the Ames History Museum display about Jack Trice exhibit through the week. it was awesome to watch Cyclone fans dig deeper about Jack Trice, and other folks learn about him for the first time.

• Winner
Reactions: nrg4isu and t-noah

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
5:30pm. 46 degrees. Light breeze. We missed a beautiful day for watching football by “this much.”

I even saw a guy jogging in shorts and no shirt.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
We also arranged to have the Ames History Museum display about Jack Trice exhibit through the week. it was awesome to watch Cyclone fans dig deeper about Jack Trice, and other folks learn about him for the first time.
Where (I'm assuming Ames) is the Ames History Museum based? And they have a section/exhibit about Jack Trice that you arranged to have shipped to Memphis for the week?

If so, that's awesome! I would think that the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis would be very interested in that and received it well?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Where (I'm assuming Ames) is the Ames History Museum based? And they have a section/exhibit about Jack Trice that you arranged to have shipped to Memphis for the week?

If so, that's awesome! I would think that the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis would be very interested in that and received it well?

The Ames History Museum is located in downtown Ames at the corner of Douglas and 5th. However, the building is closed for a year or so as they renovate the former Pantorium Building.

The travelling exhibit is very portable. I took down with me on Tuesday so it could be on display when the museum opened Wednesday (they were closed Christmas Monday and Tuesday) and then I brought it back last night after the museum closed Saturday.

I also took a poster I had made with a few of my favorite images. And I took a binder of articles, mostly from www.kagavi.com.

It was very well received. They put us in a "guest lounge/meditation room" at the exit of the formal exhibits and just above the grand staircase in the foyer. I spend Wednesday and Saturday afternoons there to talk with folks about Jack Trice. On Wednesday, the entire football team visited the museum. Some of the players looked through the entire 300 page article collection. It was fun to help people who knew about Jack Trice to learn a few more things, but also to help people who knew nothing about him to appreciate him and his legacy with Iowa State.

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The Ames History Museum is located in downtown Ames at the corner of Douglas and 5th. However, the building is closed for a year or so as they renovate the former Pantorium Building.

The travelling exhibit is very portable. I took down with me on Tuesday so it could be on display when the museum opened Wednesday (they were closed Christmas Monday and Tuesday) and then I brought it back last night after the museum closed Saturday.
I also took a poster I had made with a few of my favorite images. And I took a binder of articles, mostly from kagavi.com.

It was very well received. They put us in a "guest lounge/meditation room" at the exit of the formal exhibits and just above the grand staircase in the foyer. I spend Wednesday and Saturday afternoons there to talk with folks about Jack Trice. On Wednesday, the entire football team visited the museum. Some of the players looked through the entire 300 page article collection. It was fun to help people who knew about Jack Trice to learn a few more things, but also to help people who knew nothing about him to appreciate him and his legacy with Iowa State.

This is AWESOME. Thank you!

Had a nice Jack Trice teaching moment myself this past October. I was in my hometown of Birmingham for a family event on the weekend of the Jack Trice Memorial Game vs. TCU, so I could not attend it. That night, I was having dinner at the bar in a restaurant and asked if they could switch one of the TVs to the Iowa State Game (from an SEC game).

Ironically, it was an African-American family owned Restaurant and Bar. The wife was the Chef, and the husband was the Bar Manager. When the game came on, the young man behind the bar (2nd bartender) said: "Those are some funny uniforms. They look like they are not wearing pants." So, I told him and the Bar Manager / Owner behind the bar about the uniforms, the reason ISU was wearing them and the Jack Trice story. They thought that was totally cool and appreciated it very much! They really loved it when I mentioned that Jack Trice Stadium is the only FBS Football Stadium named after an African-American.

The point is that the story does resonate and should be told and shared!

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Charleston, S.C. has some sobering museums. One is the original Slave Auction House where the "property" was auctioned. The other is the prison on the dock where pirates and other criminals were held. If you are interested in early American history and the Revolutionary War, Charleston is a must visit. Most people have knowledge about the Civil War and the importance of South Carolina but the New England Colonies would never have succeeded without the financial support of S.C. and Charleston was the financial center of the South. Anyway, Memphis was in a very similar strategic position in the Civil War located on the Mississippi and the cotton industry. All this was predicated on slave labor which is a historical fact.

• Sad
Reactions: Cycsk

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

It was nice to meet you at the museum! My dad was the one who mentioned that he watched Jack Trice being built from the 2nd floor of Larch in 73?

As others have said it was an excellent but also sobering museum. I thought the museum did a fantastic job of walking a person through history and enabling them to imagine what it was like to live through those times. I'm too young to have any first hand experience, so I asked my dad if it was as crazy of a time as it seemed to be. He said it was, though living in Iowa there wasn't a lot happening close to home. For me the civil rights movement was a bunch of individual events that hadn't been put together until visiting that museum.

Reactions: Cycsk

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
Reactions: t-noah and aauummm

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Charleston, S.C. has some sobering museums. One is the original Slave Auction House where the "property" was auctioned. The other is the prison on the dock where pirates and other criminals were held. If you are interested in early American history and the Revolutionary War, Charleston is a must visit. Most people have knowledge about the Civil War and the importance of South Carolina but the New England Colonies would never have succeeded without the financial support of S.C. and Charleston was the financial center of the South. Anyway, Memphis was in a very similar strategic position in the Civil War located on the Mississippi and the cotton industry. All this was predicated on slave labor which is a historical fact.

I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I took a trip to Savannah, Georgia a couple of months ago and that is also a super cool, ancient (by American standards, at least) city worth visiting if you like history. It was founded in 1733, which means it's only 10 years away from being a 300-year old city. There are some similarities to Charleston; some good Revolutionary War history as well, and also a museum dedicated to preserving one of the best examples of urban slavery right in the middle of town. Plus some amazing food!

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I took a trip to Savannah, Georgia a couple of months ago and that is also a super cool, ancient (by American standards, at least) city worth visiting if you like history. It was founded in 1733, which means it's only 10 years away from being a 300-year old city. There are some similarities to Charleston; some good Revolutionary War history as well, and also a museum dedicated to preserving one of the best examples of urban slavery right in the middle of town. Plus some amazing food!
Charleston/Savannah is a cool trip.

we did a road trip to Chattanooga, Atlanta, Charleston, Savannah, and Tybee Island...it was 12 days on the road and we had a blast. (plus some amazing food and cool history)

Reactions: IASTATE07

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron