Mediacom

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
cytech, I just bought this one...

BestBuy link

No, I didn't get it at BestBuy though, searched the internet and found it for $20 cheaper. Use Nextag or one of those.

Anyways, I have not used it yet as we don't move into our new house for just under 2 weeks. We'll be picking up our new HDTV and setting up service on the 26th.

My father-in-law does have this same model though. He lives in the south side area and has no problems with the signal. It depends on the location you put it though - keep it clear of items that may block the signal and you should be ok.

I'll be able to speak to it personally soon enough. :)

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Sinclair has the FOX rights in teh DSM area. The only way to pump in another "station" such as the FOX out of Omaha is either when you live in an overlap area where you get both over the air> Then the cable company can negotiate them both off each other. Otherwise you have to get permission of the network, and the network has already told the affiliate that they have an exclusive so you're SOL.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the info above. I wonder who's rule that is? Didn't seem to apply a couple years ago in terms of Dish or Direct piping in a network affiliate from elsewhere. (Edit - I take that back, you were bound by geographic location to qualify for networks over locals, weren't you? My bad)

You know you can (could) get a free rabbit ears setup from Mediacom, right? Go to their website and sign up. I got mine Saturday - haven't tried them yet and don't have HD, so I can't speak to that. But at least get what you can out of them. Hell, they might come in handy on game day tailgating.

Last edited:

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the FCC in this conversation? Just curious since the only reason their is only one broadcaster in each area for a certain station is because of the FCC.

Also, How many people would be willing to pay a buck or two every month to get the over the air channels on cable for the convenience of it? I think that is the reason why Sinclair is asking for money from Mediacom. If you own a satelite you pay something like 5 bucks a month for local network channels. Don't you remember how the cable companies used to attack the satelite companies to keep the business. They used to say how you can't get local channels on Satelite. But, now you can because the satelites paid for it just like the cable companies should.

Last edited:

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
FCC, not FAA. FAA takes care of air travel. FCC has no jurisdiction. It's like a dispute between you and Jamie Pollard. You think it's outrageous that you have to buy season tickets to get into the Iowa game, but he says that's the way it'll be. So you either pony up or you don't get in. On the other hand if he sells 31,000 season tickets and the stadium is half empty, or better yet people revolt against him reaching into your pocket with out giving you a little excitement for the trouble and no one buys he'll be out on his ***.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
FCC, not FAA. FAA takes care of air travel. FCC has no jurisdiction. It's like a dispute between you and Jamie Pollard. You think it's outrageous that you have to buy season tickets to get into the Iowa game, but he says that's the way it'll be. So you either pony up or you don't get in. On the other hand if he sells 31,000 season tickets and the stadium is half empty, or better yet people revolt against him reaching into your pocket with out giving you a little excitement for the trouble and no one buys he'll be out on his ***.

I know FCC has no Jurisdiction but some comments were made about only having one Broadcaster in town, so I brought up the point that why is that? Why can't there be two? And why hasn't anyone pointed out why they are free to begin with?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Sorry to be bumping a old thread, But I just saw in this mornings papers that Sinclair Caved to Time Warner and did not get what they wanted. And now mediacom has requested the same deal that time warner got or to agree to binding arbitration.
http://us2.newsmemory.com/ee/cedarrapidsgazette/default_open.php

That is a link the gazette online edition. Article is on page B2 (and yes I am pretty sure this is free to the public now. Atleast I never have to log in anymore)

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
If Sinclair does not agree to the same terms with Mediacom as they did with Time Warner, they need to be looked at for discriminatory practices.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Chances are Sinclair was testing the market with Mediacom since their contract was up first. I would guess that if mediacom had caved in to sinclair that Time warner would of had a hard time trying convice sinclair to take what they did.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
If Sinclair does not agree to the same terms with Mediacom as they did with Time Warner, they need to be looked at for discriminatory practices.

Thing of it is, the FCC has denied Mediacom's request to have $inclair owned & operation stations returned to their lineup as well as Mediacom has struck out in federal court on this issue.

So, not only is $inclair ganging up on Mediacom, but so is the government and judical system?

Mediacom's latest attempt to get the $inclair stations back on their lineup comes acrossed to me as desparation:

First it was binding arbitration; then it was offering to pay whatever Mcleod over in Cedar Rapids agreed to pay; then it was getting Congress involved; then it was getting the Iowa Legislature involved; and now offering to pay whatever Time Warner paid without Mediacom knowing what that amount was/is.

For a station like KDSM that isn't that community oriented, for a station like KDSM that offers no severe weather coverage at all, for a station like KDSM that pipes in it's "local" newscast from the other side of state, and a station that Mediacom wanted you to boycott a month ago, Mediacom sure comes acrossed as being desperate. Are they losing more customers than what they thought over this?

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Here's one customer that mediacom lost last week. Went to Dish. Picture's a lot better, more channels and one HECK of a lot cheaper then Mediacom. The only thing I miss about Mediacom is the local channel airing Cyclone games and CY-Hawk talk, but other then that, nothing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron