Media (specifically ESPN) Coverage of the BCS

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
FOX does a terrible job of covering college football.

I agree...pretty tough to not really cover it much all year (except on Fox Sports "whatever part of the country you live in") and then bring in a bunch of guys that haven't seen much CFB all year to do the biggest games at the end of the season. But, hey, it's all about money and Fox was the highest bidder!

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I didn't say LSU did not play well last night. However, last night was not the best game they have played all year...that was clearly the Va. Tech game. Yes, having seen every LSU game this year (most of them in person), that is my opinion.

If I was a real jackass, like others on this site, I would just tell you all that you shouldn't even post your opinions since you have not seen LSU play like I have...but I'm not going to do that.

I agree with cloneu. I'm a VT fan by marriage (soon to be, anyway, and ALWAYS #2 to the Clones), and VT was not the same team when they played LSU as they were in the second half of the season. I'm not taking credit away from LSU, because they kicked the crap out of the Hokies, but I guarantee VT would give them a lot more trouble if they played now. I still think LSU would beat them, and I think they deserve the national title, but it would just be a closer game.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Also, after the guys (can't remember which one specifically) got done saying that both LSU this year and Florida last year played their best games in the title game, Corso made the astute remark that it may have been because of the opponent. I wouldn't call that Big 10 bias. (disclaimer: I HATE the Big 10, and think there is a general bias towards them)

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines
Yeah, but in that case it's Mustburger that you have to tolerate...:nah:

I am so glad this season is over and I don't have to listen to Musberger's man crush commentary on John David Booty any more. During the course of a game, usually it's the player's last names that they use, but Musberger feels contractually obligated to say "John David Booty" 98% of the time. It was just one of those things that got on my nerves. Of course, I can't stand Musberger... that stems from his coverage of a golf tournament when he said "All he has to do is make this three foot tap-in." No one who has ever stood over a golf ball regards a three foot putt as a "tap-in".

/anti-Musberger rant

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
My personal opinion is that Herbie (and ESPN) has heard the rumblings by many not associated with the Big 10 that he (and the network) is a complete shill for the Big 10. Why do you think they no longer ask him for his prediction on the game he is going to broadcast with Musberger? Now he goes out of his way to try and not appear that he is a Big 10 shill. Comical, in my opinion.

then do you think he was being biased like your original post eluded to, or do you think he was purposefully knocking on the big 10 just to try to regain some respect from fans of other conferences? look, herbie did go to osu, desmond went to michigan, but i just don't see them coming off with that much bias to the big 10 when they cover games, or during gameday. espn does have a package with the big 10, or at least they show a lot of their games, but i have never heard either one of those guys claim that the big 10 is the superior conference if it is not. as far as asking him for his prediction, i think they can't ask because it is a conflict of interest for him to predict the outcome of the game he is calling, and therefore espn won't allow him to do so. i'm sure that keith jackson wouldn't be allowed to make a prediction to any of the games he is covering, or any other commentator. corso does it on the pregame show, but he isn't actually calling the game. and for the record, i hate the big 10 and most of their fans.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Herbstreit on Big Ten - NC Postgame Show

I switched over to ESPN at the end of the National Championship game and watched the postgame with Chris, Todd Blackledge, Herbstreit and Corso. Herbstreit, upset over the OSU showing, was complaining that the average fan rates the Big Ten somewhere "between the MAC and Conference USA" for football prowess. While I think that's a little farfetched, I do believe the Big Ten is the least of the BCS conferences and I'm tired (as many are) of seeing OSU in the national title game.

On the flipside, I'm continually amazed at what great football is played in the SEC. Where do you think OSU would finish if they played a standard SEC schedule? I think they'd probably be 8-4 or 9-3 at the best. Even the lesser lights in that conference rise up once or twice per year and knock off one of the premium schools (Kentucky beats LSU; South Carolina beats Georgia; Vanderbilt beats South Carolina). Thoughts?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
then do you think he was being biased like your original post eluded to, or do you think he was purposefully knocking on the big 10 just to try to regain some respect from fans of other conferences? look, herbie did go to osu, desmond went to michigan, but i just don't see them coming off with that much bias to the big 10 when they cover games, or during gameday. espn does have a package with the big 10, or at least they show a lot of their games, but i have never heard either one of those guys claim that the big 10 is the superior conference if it is not. as far as asking him for his prediction, i think they can't ask because it is a conflict of interest for him to predict the outcome of the game he is calling, and therefore espn won't allow him to do so. i'm sure that keith jackson wouldn't be allowed to make a prediction to any of the games he is covering, or any other commentator. corso does it on the pregame show, but he isn't actually calling the game. and for the record, i hate the big 10 and most of their fans.

Yes, I absolutely believe that is the case on point one.

With respect to point two...no, at present they do not tout the Big 10 as "superior" but they certainly make it appear that it is a big deal to win the Big 10...which currently means that you have to only win one, maybe two, tough games during the year. And look at how they reacted when Michigan beat Florida...the story was "look..the Big 10 can play with the SEC" not "Michigan's QB played the best game of his career and Michigan was highly motivated to win Carr's last game" while "Florida was just finishing a disappointing (for them) year after winning it all last year".

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Re: Herbstreit on Big Ten - NC Postgame Show

I switched over to ESPN at the end of the National Championship game and watched the postgame with Chris, Todd Blackledge, Herbstreit and Corso. Herbstreit, upset over the OSU showing, was complaining that the average fan rates the Big Ten somewhere "between the MAC and Conference USA" for football prowess. While I think that's a little farfetched, I do believe the Big Ten is the least of the BCS conferences and I'm tired (as many are) of seeing OSU in the national title game.

On the flipside, I'm continually amazed at what great football is played in the SEC. Where do you think OSU would finish if they played a standard SEC schedule? I think they'd probably be 8-4 or 9-3 at the best. Even the lesser lights in that conference rise up once or twice per year and knock off one of the premium schools (Kentucky beats LSU; South Carolina beats Georgia; Vanderbilt beats South Carolina). Thoughts?

I absolutely think Ohio St. is a .500 team (4-4) in the SEC.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Mesburger is infatuated with Booty, he can't stop repeating it. Year in and year out there are 3 teams that are always ranked at least 3-4 spots higher than they should be: Michigan, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech. Yes they have good teams, but they are always pegged higher. There should just be a cap or variable written into the computers where they can't go above #5.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Year in and year out there are 3 teams that are always ranked at least 3-4 spots higher than they should be: Michigan, Ohio State, and Virginia Tech. Yes they have good teams, but they are always pegged higher. There should just be a cap or variable written into the computers where they can't go above #5.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but given their recent bowl performances, I think that those who cheer for other conferences would probably add Oklahoma to your list.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron