McD will get another year after tonight's effort.

Toasted40

Feb 23, 2010
I would bet he is a head coach within 2 weeks to a month.

It depends on how it would end here, the available openings, and how bad Greg wants a job.

Remember, Doug will be in Cedar Falls for the next four years also.

If Greg is like McCarney and will take anything that was offered, then no he won't be out of a job long.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Uh, Danny Mac worked three times as hard as Walden. Ask anyone in the athletic department, from secretaries to other coaches, who was there with both of them.
Walden had every chance is the world here, and worked harder at making excuses than he did trying to build the program.

I am not ABOUT to turn this into another Mac vs whomever thread. I LOVE coach Mac. I KNOW he worked VERY hard. But, Mac had an athletic department and fan base that was 90% behind him. Walden had an athletic department and fan base that was -10% behind him. Its a LOT easier to work hard when you can see signs that people actually care.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This can be sold as a positive.

I think Pollard has his mind made up either way. I've thought that for several weeks — since whenever a realistic shot at a tournament bid was toast (and especially with so many "almosts" piling up, again, around that time).

If JP decided he's keeping GM no matter what, he's going to have his fingers crossed that something unbelievable happens the rest of the way (I'm thinking a serious run in the B12 tournament at minimum), otherwise his decision will alienate at least a portion of the fan base — he'll have to sell some kind of hope, and as sweet as this win was, that's not enough.

If he has already decided to handle the financial realities and cut the strings, I guess it might anger some GM diehards if an improbable run transpired ... but there are coaches who've been canned even after having a good season with a tournament bid, because it was based on full body of work.

To me, either way, I want ISU to win. I'm not worried if pulling off some stunners like this might swing the coach-pendulum one way or another, especially since I can't directly control that.

I've been firmly in the "make a change" camp for (at minimum) two months. Let's pretend the team goes on an extreme miracle run, one that's implausible to expect but could come to pass with a lot of luck and perfect matchup situations. ISU wins the auto bid, goes to Sweet 16 as a 12 seed —*not only would that be a ton of fun, but if JP were bringing the coach back anyway, I wouldn't feel like puking — and I might have some anticipation going into next season.

However, if JP was still uncertain at this point, and he hoped for said miracle and then based his decision solely on that ... I still think that's putting too much weight on a 6- or 7-game string.