Maui, Early Dinner and Tommy Bahama

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
What about suggestions for us Wailea and Kihei people

I never really spent much time on that part of the island, but I already suggested Da Kitchen in Kahului! It’s like 10-15 miles from Wailea, not far at all, and it’s the best kalua pig I’ve ever eaten.

Problem with Kihei side is it’s VERY quiet, even for Maui. Not a ton of options over there.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I never really spent much time on that part of the island, but I already suggested Da Kitchen in Kahului! It’s like 10-15 miles from Wailea, not far at all, and it’s the best kalua pig I’ve ever eaten.

Problem with Kihei side is it’s VERY quiet, even for Maui. Not a ton of options over there.

Psh, all the locals (like myself now obviously) know about the triangle. This was a test and you failed.

cy90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 12, 2010
Road to Hana is a waste of time.
If there is no chance of rain the best deal is to drive the backside Road to Hannah, hardly any traffic and beautiful views. Some of it is gravel but most is paved. You won't see as many waterfalls but you can go within 5 miles of Hannah and back in just a couple hours from Kannapali. There are some tight curves.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Locals don’t live in Maui. Those are almost all mainland transplants. Nice try haole.

They certainly don't live where everyone is staying or most hotels. So many tourists - I actually prefer places like Makawao, Paia (I know, it's still kind of touristy but in a different way), etc. Also for some reason I find Ke'Anae interesting. Don't know why.

For anybody there too, if you want some damn good Filipino food ..there's this food truck in Lahaina called Kusina Ni Jayboy that is really, really good. That food truck has better food than 99% of the tourist places people eat at.

If there is no chance of rain the best deal is to drive the backside Road to Hannah, hardly any traffic and beautiful views. Some of it is gravel but most is paved. You won't see as many waterfalls but you can go within 5 miles of Hannah and back in just a couple hours from Kannapali. There are some tight curves.

We did the Road to Hana a few months ago and the Pools of Oheo at the time were pretty much dry. Not sure about now. Also, some rental companies will basically forbid you from going in areas down there and also in areas on 340.

Road to Hana is super touristy, but there's some hidden stuff on there that is pretty cool. There aren't many signs or anything, so if you want to find those you need to know where you're going (or get one of those apps that work offline). So many people driving that road though it's crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
They certainly don't live where everyone is staying or most hotels. So many tourists - I actually prefer places like Makawao, Paia (I know, it's still kind of touristy but in a different way), etc. Also for some reason I find Ke'Anae interesting. Don't know why.

For anybody there too, if you want some damn good Filipino food ..there's this food truck in Lahaina called Kusina Ni Jayboy that is really, really good. That food truck has better food than 99% of the tourist places people eat at.

We did the Road to Hana a few months ago and the Pools of Oheo at the time were pretty much dry. Not sure about now. Also, some rental companies will basically forbid you from going in areas down there and also in areas on 340.

Road to Hana is super touristy, but there's some hidden stuff on there that is pretty cool. There aren't many signs or anything, so if you want to find those you need to know where you're going (or get one of those apps that work offline). So many people driving that road though it's crazy.

Yeah, Lahaina is a cool little town, but always overrun with tourists. I think the reason I always like Maui the least is the same reason tourist like it the most. It’s filled with ex mainlanders that move there. It’s something like 36% white, which is MUCH higher of a percentage than any other island, so I think mainlanders find the familiarity to their liking when vacationing. But to me it always made it feel the least Hawaiian of the Hawaiian islands. And while there’s definitely some cool parts of Maui, I never felt like it really had anything any of the other islands didn’t have.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yeah, Lahaina is a cool little town, but always overrun with tourists. I think the reason I always like Maui the least is the same reason tourist like it the most. It’s filled with ex mainlanders that move there. It’s something like 36% white, which is MUCH higher of a percentage than any other island, so I think mainlanders find the familiarity to their liking when vacationing. But to me it always made it feel the least Hawaiian of the Hawaiian islands. And while there’s definitely some cool parts of Maui, I never felt like it really had anything any of the other islands didn’t have.

I like certain parts of Maui, but some parts are way too touristy. Like I do not understand why anybody would stay at Kaanapali, Wailea, etc. I am a lot more fond of the towns in upcountry and near there on the island. I like parts of Lahaina but Front Street is pretty overrun with tourists. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge fan of Honolulu the city itself (though it has some cool parts - definitely not a fan of places like Waikiki though - blech), but I quite enjoy the parts outside of that on Oahu. My last time in Maui, we met someone at our hotel who used to live there who basically said "it gets pretty old pretty fast living here" and moved to North Carolina after.

One of my best friend's dad moved to Kaua'i a handful of years ago from Minnesota - to a town of maybe 5000 or 6000 people. He enjoys it quite a bit. Pretty sure it's not too touristy. There's some hotels but I think only 1 of them is an actual chain.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I like certain parts of Maui, but some parts are way too touristy. Like I do not understand why anybody would stay at Kaanapali, Wailea, etc. I am a lot more fond of the towns in upcountry and near there on the island. I like parts of Lahaina but Front Street is pretty overrun with tourists. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge fan of Honolulu the city itself (though it has some cool parts - definitely not a fan of places like Waikiki though - blech), but I quite enjoy the parts outside of that on Oahu. My last time in Maui, we met someone at our hotel who used to live there who basically said "it gets pretty old pretty fast living here" and moved to North Carolina after.

One of my best friend's dad moved to Kaua'i a handful of years ago from Minnesota - to a town of maybe 5000 or 6000 people. He enjoys it quite a bit. Pretty sure it's not too touristy. There's some hotels but I think only 1 of them is an actual chain.

People always thought I was crazy when I said I really liked Oahu, but I would also tell tourists to not bother with Honolulu on Oahu. The North Shore can rival any other part of any island for how beautiful it is, as far as I’m concerned.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
People always thought I was crazy when I said I really liked Oahu, but I would also tell tourists to not bother with Honolulu on Oahu. The North Shore can rival any other part of any island for how beautiful it is, as far as I’m concerned.

You kinda gotta do the Pearl Harbor thingie (and maybe some urban mountain hiking and viewing) but time spent on Oahu is best spent touring the rest of the island.

• Agree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
View attachment 60123

Here’s someone who has no f’ing idea how supply and demand works

LOL Maui is already expensive as hell. Staying at an actual hotel at least near the ocean is probably going to be a minimum of around $2000 for a week. That's not counting flights. Safe to say, I think if you are traveling there and you don't live there already, you can probably afford these things. If the tickets were $100, I'm sure some die hard fans wouldn't have a problem spending say $300.

When we were there 2 months ago, for 2 people for round trip flights from NYC, a week at a hotel, and a rental car cost over $4500 together alone - not counting any food and stuff we did either. Easily spent $5500-$6000 on that trip when all was said and done.

Maui is NOT a cheap place at all if you're a tourist coming from the mainland especially. It might sound like it sucks but I think if you are living in the middle of the country staying at a hotel by the beach for a week, you can probably afford if it got marked up a few hundred extra dollars (sad to say, but it's true).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I’ve only been too Kauai and Oahu and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the north shore. I think I’d go back there before I go back to Kauai.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015

Drive the other side of the island if you want tight curves. Those are nailbighters