Matt Campbell gets PAID.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Indeed. It seems that there is probably only one place where this money will be coming from. Now the mystery is whether ticket prices go up a lot right away or more gradually over many years. I predict a big hike for next year.

ticket prices reflect supply and demand.

that said, demand will be high (and we get a 7th home game next year) so I'd expect an increase

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Or he could be a BIGGER than Snyder. It'll be Matt Campbell Family Athletic Facilities (not just a stadium) and they'll rename University Blvd (which will irk the folks still calling it Elwood) to "The Process Way" so folks HAVE to follow the process! And there will be giant statues of Matt (one with a quote about bullsh*t programs being 6-6) all around the complex.

KSU will be looking to.emulate us when they are looking to rebuild their program after Sean Snyder is given the keys and ruins all Bill built :)

Will there be 'Ready to Rock and Roll' day every season?

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Once again JP proves to be the most important figure we have had at our university in very, very long time. Locking him up through the GOR, and doing it early on is huge. We are set to be in a great position in 2024, which is important for the football program, atheletic dept, and university as a whole.

Great day!

Not a lot of AD's have hired 3 coaches with losing records and been allowed to extend the 3rd after one winning season. Kudos to Pollard.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I’m assuming this makes Campbell the highest paid coach per year in ISU history. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the next largest contract for a coach at ISU or if there has been a larger one?

I think Fred was around $2.2M when he left. Rhoads had that 10yr $2M contract when he was fired. ISU bought him out 3-4 years later so it cost ISU more per year.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I’m assuming this makes Campbell the highest paid coach per year in ISU history. Out of curiosity, does anyone know the next largest contract for a coach at ISU or if there has been a larger one?

You'd have to take inflation into account at least. IDK what Earl Bruce made, but just assuming it was $500k, that would be something like $2-2.5M now.

And that doesn't take into account any of the "tv money" inflation - sports inflation is way above what core CPI has been over 40 years.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
You'd have to take inflation into account at least. IDK what Earl Bruce made, but just assuming it was $500k, that would be something like $2-2.5M now.

And that doesn't take into account any of the "tv money" inflation - sports inflation is way above what core CPI has been over 40 years.
Earl Bruce didn't make $500k.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

I think a good gauge that could take all this into,account would be to compare vs peers. I think I saw Campbell is now ranked 24 highest paid coaches. Have we ever had a coach ranked in the top 25 before in salarie?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

I highly doubt Bruce was making that. I’m pretty sure we hired Johnny nearly a decade later for just over $100k

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Great day to be a Clone! Well done JP.
Hopefully we can keep most, if not all of the staff intact. This has been an issue for us in the past when we achieve modest success. The final piece of the puzzle is learning to close/finish games and once they figure that out we can be a potential 8-10 game winner.

Cyclone5050

Dec 31, 2012
  • Agree
Reactions: UraMallas

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Who had a losing record when JP hired them?

He's hired Chizek, Rhoads, Campbell, Hoiberg, and Prohm.
Point was that AD don't typically get that many chances to hire football coaches when each one of them has losing records. They're typically fired before they get that far.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Point was that AD don't typically get that many chances to hire football coaches when each one of them has losing records. They're typically fired before they get that far.
Gotcha.

This was discussed a year or so ago and the thought was since he got Hoiberg and made noticeable improvements due to TV money, he bought himself a ton of goodwill and flexibility.

I don't know how much was JP specifically vs incredible timing (Hoiberg fell into his lap and TV money increased across-the-board), but most fans realize no coach has really had success here, so it's hard to blame the AD.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

I think one of the most interesting things about ISU athletics is the culture Pollard has built with his hires. All the coaches support the other teams publicly and in social media, they project the image of the university positively in the public, and they all get their kids through school.

Pollard has spoken at different times why he believes this job is special and hasn't left when provided opportunities over the years. I think Campbell mirrors that ethic in the way he carries himself and speaks of his opportunities here. Either he recognizes it, or Pollard has sold him on it. ISU fans recognize it as well. It is more than wins and losses for us, obviously.

They are both a credit to ISU and deserve whatever success they get.

• Winner
Reactions: TheHelgo and STLISU

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
ticket prices reflect supply and demand.

that said, demand will be high (and we get a 7th home game next year) so I'd expect an increase

It will be interesting to see what happens next year. JP is very detail oriented, and I am sure he has a plan for ticket prices, knows where he sits with boosters and knows what to expect from TV revenues. Somehow I also suspect that he had a pretty good idea of what it would take to keep Campbell and his coaches in Ames.

It does seem like a lot of money for a coach that is under 40, but you can't argue with the success at a place where there has been very little.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

Help Support Us

Become a patron