Match made in heaven...

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
How many years before the Pac 16 dissolves? I have a hard time believing that the right wing states of Texas and Oklahoma are going to mesh with the left coast.

This gold rush of expansion is going to have some interesting unintended consequences.

Last edited:

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
You think the super conferences will fold and develop 8 team division across the country?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
You think the super conferences will fold and develop 8 team division across the country?
I've definitely given this some thought. I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. I just can't see the teams that finish in the middle each year being happy just being mediocre.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

Greed will destroy these super conferences. At some point, the teams at the top won't want to share the pie with the teams at the bottom. The marquee teams won't want to share with the Washington States and Oregon States.

Beyond a conference TV network, 16 team conferences really don't have a lot of benefits.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Good catch. At the same time would anyone thought a conference that combined football powerhouses of Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Kansas State, Texas AM, and Colorado would implode 16 years later?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Good catch. At the same time would anyone thought a conference that combined football powerhouses of Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Kansas State, Texas AM, and Colorado would implode 16 years later?
notice what happened to K-state and Colorado after a few years in the conference though. They lost their powerhouse status and ended up near the lower end of the conference.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Still better than they did outside the Big 12.
Iowa State also enjoyed it's best football success in the Big 12 too. They never really had much of a shot beating out Texas. It's hard to compete with that kind of program on a year to year basis

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
Now that Nebraska is (apparently) calling the Texas bluff, it will be interesting to see if Texas and its corresponding sycophants will actually bolt to the Pac 10.

Short of a three year windfall of cash, i don't see this as being advantageous for Texas. They have to share power with USC, UCLA, Washington, AZ. They have to travel farther. Culturally, whoever suggested the Right Wing and Left Wing divisions is right on. It limits their options for a future potential conference move.

I might be wrong, but it seems like a bluff. Texas would be better off propping up the Big 12 for a few more years, then seeing what the landscape looks like after that.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
It may or may not work.

But, Texas has destroyed every conference they have been in so I wouldn't put it past them.

ce1

Mar 23, 2006
Minnesota
But, Texas has destroyed every conference they have been in so I wouldn't put it past them.

Great point. The Razorbacks couldn't bolt for the SEC fast enough, that's how much they despised their power in the old SW conference.