Marvin Pomerantz

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
the name on the diploma were all that important, schools such as Luther or UM-Mankato or Indiana St would cease to exist because no one would be able to find a job with such educations and would instead only attend Iowa, Minnesota, or Indiana.

Either or logic fallacy....If the name on the diploma is not that important, a PSU diploma is worth the same as Harvard.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Either or logic fallacy....If the name on the diploma was not that important, a PSU diploma would be worth the same as Harvard.

Hardly. Ivy League is clearly in a class in its own. Ivy League schools are renowned worldwide as the best in the world - in a class with Cambridge and Oxford. There's not much of a difference between Penn St and Iowa St, even if Iowa St starts playing in CUSA 5 years from now...

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
There's not much of a difference between Penn St and Iowa St, even if Iowa St starts playing in CUSA 5 years from now...

So because ISU and PSU are not Harvard "the name on the diploma were all that important, schools such as Luther or UM-Mankato or Indiana St would cease to exist". That is BS. Stop using either-or logic.

If you are looking in Iowa maybe, but to average HR people throughout the nation there is a difference.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Can we please stop with this ridiculous myth now? As long as ISU's colleges stay accredited (which the Big 12 conference blowing up around it will not affect), nothing is happening to the value of our diplomas...

If we are not a member of the Big 12 or Big 10, our academic prestige and our ability to recruit the best and brightest will take a huge hit.
Big-time athletics is a crucial tool in getting top students to make Iowa State their choice.
Sure, our departments will stay "accredited," but our classrooms will not have the same academic profile. Ask any ISU recruiter.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So you agree to stop using either or logic?
If you are looking in Iowa maybe, but to average HR people throughout the nation there is a difference.

So then why the hell do universities have to stay accredited if name power is good enough alone? Because it gives them something to do every few years?

With the exception of the high end or the low end, the name on the diploma has no effect on an employer hiring an employee - the fact that it's accredited is what counts. The Big 10 becoming a superconference is not going to push Penn St to the high end, and ISU theoretically dropping to CUSA is not going to push ISU to the low end.

Our diplomas are NOT going to lose value as long as the school stays accredited.

Your argument is nothing more than a "WOE IS ME! NOT ONLY IS ISU ATHLETICS GOING TO BE WORTHLESS, BUT SO IS MY EDUCATION!!!" nonsense.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
So then why the hell do universities have to stay accredited if name power is good enough alone? Because it gives them something to do every few years?

With the exception of the high end or the low end, the name on the diploma has no effect on an employer hiring an employee - the fact that it's accredited is what counts. The Big 10 becoming a superconference is not going to push Penn St to the high end, and ISU theoretically dropping to CUSA is not going to push ISU to the low end.

Our diplomas are NOT going to lose value as long as the school stays accredited.

So because ISU and PSU are not Harvard "the name on the diploma were all that important, schools such as Luther or UM-Mankato or Indiana St would cease to exist". That is BS. Stop using either-or logic.

Oh, and PSU is already at the high-end.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So because ISU or PSU are not Harvard "the name on the diploma were all that important, schools such as Luther or UM-Mankato or Indiana St would cease to exist". That is BS. Stop using either-or logic.

Oh, and PSU is already at the high-end.

Only if you quit making the ridiculous argument that ISU grads are going to soon find themselves unemployed if the Big 10 doesn't pick us up - or at the very least our diplomas are going to become worthless...

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Only if you quit making the ridiculous argument that ISU grads are going to soon find themselves unemployed if the Big 10 doesn't pick us up - or at the very least our diplomas are going to become worthless...

To stop I would have to start.
Decrease does not equate to worthless...unless you view your diploma to currently be worth very little.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Back to the topic of the thread---its been pretty well summarized here what this d-bag did to ISU and what he wanted to do to ISU. The amazing thing at the time was no one called him or Branstad on it. Not the Rag. Not ISU Admin. Only the ISU faculty senate raised a cry of protest.

Now Branstad is back? He shouldn't even be able to be arrested, let alone elected governor again. What club of cronies will he stack the regents with this time?

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I didn't really follow ISU athletics/politics too much prior to the 2000's, so all of this on pomerantz is new to me. Does anyone have any links on the full story of what he did as regent? or how branstad was involved?

All I could find was this article on his death: Former Regent and GOP political adviser Marvin Pomerantz dies at 78 Iowa Independent

Which, from the 2nd paragraph, gives me an idea of why everyone on here is so fond of him:

You're the president of the ISU board of regents, and you're donating all your money to UI?
It's the Board of Regents for the State of Iowa (AKA Iowa State Board of Regents, confusing, I know). Pomerantz was Board President during much of the Branstad adminitration; both men are U of Iowa alumni. Hence the U of I received beau-coup favoritism during the 80's and early 90's. It's the U of I alumni and faculty who remember Pomerantz so fondly, not ISU alumni or faculty.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
its been pretty well summarized here what this d-bag did to ISU and what he wanted to do to ISU. The amazing thing at the time was no one called him or Branstad on it. Not the Rag.

Well put. ISU has been playing against a stacked deck. If you cannot trust your state to support you...no wonder this is happening.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Funny, I never saw a post from Swarthmore where he said that. I did read him to state that the value of an ISU diploma my decrease - and I agree with him.
I have degrees from both ISU and PSU, and I am proud of both. The PSU one, however, is the one that draws attention, both from the academics and also the football and sports reputation.
Your claim that ISU could be in Conference USA and be undamaged academically is preposterous.

ozhawk

May 3, 2010
Pomerantz coughed up a HUGE chunk of dough to build the Pomerantz family pavillion at the University Hospitals. The pavillion itself is larger than most other hospitals in the state of Iowa.

The Pavillions are like 5 big hospitals connected by walkways. Carver pavillion, colloton Pavillion, papajohn pavillion and pomerantz pavillion. The place is so big it has a transportation like in airports Were all of those people on the BOR?

clonz

Aug 7, 2008
Though I'm not doubting that there isn't a lot of truth in what ISU fans have been claiming, I think it's been embellished. Considerably.

I haven't read everything that people have posted on the subject recently. However Pomerantz had no qualms about using his power to enhance one university over the other, he never really hid his intentions either. A corrupt politician may not be a big shock to many people (some look at it as the norm), but I find it to be a repulsive form of evil. If anything some have overstated Branstad's contribution in my opinion. Pomerantz really was as bad as most are saying here.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Watch out ISU alumni, the value of an ISU diploma may decrease.

I have been out of school for 10 years now, so my degree has been worthless for some time now. ISU could close its doors forever starting tomorrow, and it wouldn't affect my ability to find a new job one iota.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I have been out of school for 10 years now, so my degree has been worthless for some time now. ISU could close its doors forever starting tomorrow, and it wouldn't affect my ability to find a new job one iota.

No doubt that the more quality experience you have, the less where your diploma is from matters...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron