MAILBAG: Is Joel Lanning the guy?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Perhaps more than any other position (group), a quality offensive line can be as much attributed to knowing blocking assignments and being in the right position than actual physical ability. Knowing who to pick up on a blitz is possibly the most difficult task in football. From the stands it looks relatively easy/straightforward.. but it is not.

tay2015

Aug 7, 2015
"I feel Sam Richardson is better than a guy like Trev Knight, if you put him in OU's system he would put up better numbers." -CW in 2014 on Ken Millers show 3 days before OU walked in and he put up 6 TD's on us and Sam threw for 230 yards in a blow out. Sorry CW, after the scorching hot take I just can't take your QB observations serouis.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
"I feel Sam Richardson is better than a guy like Trev Knight, if you put him in OU's system he would put up better numbers." -CW in 2014 on Ken Millers show 3 days before OU walked in and he put up 6 TD's on us and Sam threw for 230 yards in a blow out. Sorry CW, after the scorching hot take I just can't take your QB observations serouis.

Was Sam playing for Oklahoma that day? And Knight playing against our defense...

cyistopdog

Sep 7, 2015
Northern Iowa
I hope Lanning blows it up this year but I'm hoping Campbell can bring in qb's who can be 3 years starters and big time leaders. We need the swagger.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
"I love Lanning’s attitude. He’s a bad ***. The kid is a winner."

1-6 in games where he got meaningful snaps. Can you be a winner even if you don't win? I guess this day in age everyone is a winner...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Been waiting a while to uncork that one, huh?

I'm curious to see how Lanning performs with a full offseason as the starter. I like his toughness, but his accuracy is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds. Even if he plays well, I think we're going to end up seeing his backup on the field at least one or two games. Lanning plays a pretty physical brand of football, and all that contact is going to result in him getting dinged up. It's fair to wonder if his body can hold up for a full season if he's out there running for his life or trying to truck guys every time he gets out of the pocket.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Cyclones.com isn't even working for me at all atm.

It works for me, just loads really slow since they changed it.

Didn't see him on the roster there, but the more reliable source, the ISU student directory, lists a Jacob Park as a junior.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
I didn't get this question posted in time, but who does everyone think will get the 2nd most carries behind Warren, excluding QB's?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
"I love Lanning’s attitude. He’s a bad ***. The kid is a winner."

1-6 in games where he got meaningful snaps. Can you be a winner even if you don't win? I guess this day in age everyone is a winner...
attachment.php

Attachments

• trophy-300x271-300x271.jpg
    trophy-300x271-300x271.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,360

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I really hope so. I hate QB carousels. They rarely work out, in my opinion.

I want to see Joel succeed too, but at the end of the day, I would rather the staff just put the guy on the field that gives us the best chance to win. I'm indifferent toward who that person ends up being.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am admittedly a little jealous you gave cmj credit for my 'would you rather' thread question. Now if he posted that before my thread it would have to be the biggest coincidence in a while that we both came up with an identical question in the same week.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
CW, were you actually wearing your Jorts at the time or did you decide to make a pair and cut off your jeans spur of the moment for the picture?

I have no problem with cut off jorts. It's jorts that are actually made as jorts that always look strange to me. I suppose it was my childhood, when the jeans got too short, they always got cut off and made into shorts.