Lower back pain

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
So i'm 32, stopped smoking about 4 months ago and i've been working out now for about 2-3 months i think. Anyway, i'm mostly just doing a lot of cardio stuff like the elliptical and bikes and then some ab excersises and some light lifting for toning purposes.

i've tried to run outside but usually about 3/4 a mile my lower back hurts so bad that i just can't run. i used to be in cross country and track in high school and never had lower back pain. I'll usually have some pain in my back for most the day, regardless if i worked out or not that day. i don't think it's my shoes or my form. I've tried a few kinds of shoes, right now i love my Nike Free Runs and i run on my toes.

anyway, the trainer that we have at work here said i just need to sretch out my hamstrings more and the pain should stop. so far it hasn't seemed to help much at all. Should i see my normal doctor or a chiropractor?

Reactions: ajk4st8

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
is it sciatica? if so you are screwed. i have it bad and i'll be cursed with it the rest of my life. some days it's in my back, other days my legs, and some days i get real lucky and it's both-but it's never nothing.

what kind of pain is it?

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Stretching and strengthening my legs and back have helped me with some tendonitis issues when running. I do yoga and it has made a dramatic difference. That said, probably best to see a doctor.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
is it sciatica? if so you are screwed. i have it bad and i'll be cursed with it the rest of my life. some days it's in my back, other days my legs, and some days i get real lucky and it's both-but it's never nothing.

what kind of pain is it?

wow i sure as hell hope not.

not sure how to explain pain i guess, i would say it's more sore then painful. if i put my shoulders forward and stretch backwards, i feel pain or soreness in my lower back.

now every time my foot falls asleep i'll freak out and think i have sciatica. i'm kind of a hypochondriac anyway.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Is it lower back muscle, or spine pain?
If its muscles, then stretch before you run, and an hour after.
Lay on your back, and pull you knees up to your shoulders, while trying to keep your back flat on the floor.
Take your right leg and pull it towards your left side, while keeping your back on the floor, then switch sides.

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009

what kind of pain is it?

wait you serious? i got sciatica now but i was told it only lasts for a couple months if u treat it correctly.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Stretching and strengthening my legs and back have helped me with some tendonitis issues when running. I do yoga and it has made a dramatic difference. That said, probably best to see a doctor.

I have done Yoga a few times now and it is great. A lot of people will make fun of you but it is extremely helpful. I have so little time for work outs that I'm not sure how much time I will give to Yoga but I have enjoyed the few sessions I've done and you feel great afterward.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
do you work in an office? id do, and i have worked out for 15 straight years, 5 days a week.. and my lower back, hips are messed up. I sit or am lying down at least 22 hours a day if you count sleeping. A chiro trip once or twice a year, and a lot of stretching of my hip flexors has helped a ton.... id start with that.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I'm almost 30 and have some of the same issues with running. I've recently started working in some core exercises, and I feel like it's made a difference. I still get some soreness, but it is certainly less than before. Try some of these, a couple times a week: Core Strength : Men's Health

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
Yep started working out about 3 months ago, same deal for me and my wife, lower back pain is mainly me, she has issues with her legs falling asleep/numbness in her feet after a while. Make sure you are changing it up, ride bikes, eliptical, treadmill, core exercises. If you are only doing treadmill it isn't good, it is a high impact exercise, mix it up, hopefully it helps you out.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Get it checked out by a chiropractor for sure. My wife has had bouts with lower back pain for a good portion of her life. Some pretty bad pain returned a few weeks ago and she blew it off as usual, waiting for it to go away. Finally went to the chiro after 2 weeks with no relief... herniated disk.

Chiropractor said that core strength is the key to recovery.

Hope it's something minor for you. Good luck.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
wait you serious? i got sciatica now but i was told it only lasts for a couple months if u treat it correctly.
and how did they tell you to treat it? i have been told it is untreatable, just to stretch daily and it will HELP. i do stretch, but it still burns like hell.

seriously-what did they recommend for treatment?

brycy

Apr 11, 2006
My lower back hurt all the time. Went to chiro and then the doc. Inflammation was the diagnosis. Took 2 Aleve a day for better then a week, and feel a ton better now. Now just take as needed, maybe once a week. Both recommended stretching, which I don't do very often. It still isn't right but it is very managable for me.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
thx for the help guys. i think i'll check out a doctor and try the yoga thing.

as for my office, i have a high desk so that i can sit or stand while i work. So i try to stand for a few minutes every hour or so.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'll tell you I've had more than my fair share of back issues. I had chronic issues for almost two years, but general problems for well over fifteen years. It got so bad I couldn't stand in the morning for more than 10 minutes without piercing pain. My neighbor is a D.O., Doctor of Osteopathic medicine I guess. He said that my sacrum was out of alignment and so he did some stretches with my legs off to the side while I was on my stomach. Nothing popped, nothing hurt, but that night was the first night I was happy in years. I have since only asked/needed him to adjust me a couple times after I pulled something.

I had gone to many doctors and chiropractors, this was the first time I felt great relief. If you can find somebody that does that kind of work, check it out. I would refer you to him, but he won't do that work in his office. He practices family medicine and doesn't like to do the D.O. stuff in the office.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
A first step is to be evaluated by a good sports-oriented physical therapist. The legit guys can really assess/diagnose and know when/if a doctor should be involved. They are really trained to work you into a program that will maximize your potential.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
do you work in an office? id do, and i have worked out for 15 straight years, 5 days a week.. and my lower back, hips are messed up. I sit or am lying down at least 22 hours a day if you count sleeping. A chiro trip once or twice a year, and a lot of stretching of my hip flexors has helped a ton.... id start with that.

This is exactly my issue...too much time in a chair so my hamstrings and hip flexors get tight and pull my back out of wack. I went to the chiro lots of times over 2 months but it wasn't improving. I then read an article about cubical life and what it does to your shoulders, hips, and hammies if you don't stretch every day. Now I stretch every day and am able to run and do whatever I want pain free without going to the chiro in the past year. Also, a heat pad helps me but ice makes my pain worse.

Marc936

Oct 25, 2009
and how did they tell you to treat it? i have been told it is untreatable, just to stretch daily and it will HELP. i do stretch, but it still burns like hell.

seriously-what did they recommend for treatment?

ibuprofen, squats (no weight), and walking, i do notice a lot less pain after i do those, its when i sit down and go to sleep and wake up is when it hurts the most.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron