Lineup preview by IaWrestle

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
What are some legit expectations for this season? 3-4 qualifiers, 1x AA? Optimism around the program has gone way up, and hopefully that carries over to some some decent results in year 1.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
What are some legit expectations for this season? 3-4 qualifiers, 1x AA? Optimism around the program has gone way up, and hopefully that carries over to some some decent results in year 1.

We have 3 returning qualifiers (Dante, Dane, Harrington) plus a freshman who should be an AA contender right out of the gate and a Simmons at a more natural weight so I'd say 5 qualifiers with 1 AA would be a bare minimum for expectations. That would mean we didn't regress but didn't really show improvement.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Yeah call me a homer but I say we qualify 7 maybe even 8. How high we actually finish is a different story but we definitely have plenty of potential qualifiers as long as they buy in to the new staff.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
We have 3 returning qualifiers (Dante, Dane, Harrington) plus a freshman who should be an AA contender right out of the gate and a Simmons at a more natural weight so I'd say 5 qualifiers with 1 AA would be a bare minimum for expectations. That would mean we didn't regress but didn't really show improvement.
I agree with 5 qualifiers at a minimum, but wouldn’t set an expectation of an AA. Storr is probably the best wrestler on the team, but that weight is probably 15 deep with guys that could AA.

I’m looking for more intangibles. Smart wrestling, hard wrestling for 7 minutes, continued improvement throughout the year, peaking at conferences, and landing a big recruit or two.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve and Boxer007

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I agree with 5 qualifiers at a minimum, but wouldn’t set an expectation of an AA. Storr is probably the best wrestler on the team, but that weight is probably 15 deep with guys that could AA.

I’m looking for more intangibles. Smart wrestling, hard wrestling for 7 minutes, continued improvement throughout the year, peaking at conferences, and landing a big recruit or two.

Sure, and a test of whether or not this staff is the real deal is whether (barring injury) they make sure he's in the top 8. Or that if he isn't somebody else rises up and gets there at another weight since we should have a couple of guys ranked in the mid teens or higher after Vegas. I'd be worried if we traded a staff that can't manage the regular season for one that can't manage the postseason. Based on their past results I'm hoping we upgraded to one that can manage both.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Sure, and a test of whether or not this staff is the real deal is whether (barring injury) they make sure he's in the top 8. Or that if he isn't somebody else rises up and gets there at another weight since we should have a couple of guys ranked in the mid teens or higher after Vegas. I'd be worried if we traded a staff that can't manage the regular season for one that can't manage the postseason. Based on their past results I'm hoping we upgraded to one that can manage both.
Definitely hope the coaches can get Storr there, but not holding it against them if they can’t. There are 7 AAs back, plus plus some super freshman like Yianni D, Chad Red, Nick Lee.

I’m just not holding it against the staff if they fail to have an AA this year. These are all KJs guys and realistically none of them will be expected to AA. Anyone that does is a good surprise.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Definitely hope the coaches can get Storr there, but not holding it against them if they can’t. There are 7 AAs back, plus plus some super freshman like Yianni D, Chad Red, Nick Lee.

I’m just not holding it against the staff if they fail to have an AA this year. These are all KJs guys and realistically none of them will be expected to AA. Anyone that does is a good surprise.

It'd be disappointing for sure, but I tend to agree with you here. It would be great to exceed expectations, but nobody on our team is expected to AA this year, and even though it would be a buzzkill if nobody got in the top 8, it wouldn't really be fair to blame this coaching staff for that.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It'd be disappointing for sure, but I tend to agree with you here. It would be great to exceed expectations, but nobody on our team is expected to AA this year, and even though it would be a buzzkill if nobody got in the top 8, it wouldn't really be fair to blame this coaching staff for that.

There's a lot of talent in the room. Probably nobody that is going to contend for a title but there's multiple guys who were near the top of their weight class rankings coming in to ISU. Last year was a disaster because of bad management, not because of lack of talent. This staff isn't walking in to an all you can eat buffet but the cupboard is far from bare. If the staff can't get at least one of those guys to AA that's going to hurt their ability to recruit. And given what Dresser did at VT I fully expect he'll be able to do that.

Reactions: Boxer007

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
There's a lot of talent in the room. Probably nobody that is going to contend for a title but there's multiple guys who were near the top of their weight class rankings coming in to ISU. Last year was a disaster because of bad management, not because of lack of talent. This staff isn't walking in to an all you can eat buffet but the cupboard is far from bare. If the staff can't get at least one of those guys to AA that's going to hurt their ability to recruit. And given what Dresser did at VT I fully expect he'll be able to do that.
I think we can have multiple AA's this year. Call me crazy. This staff doesn't need to light the world on fire but they need to have some very tangible success this year IMO

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think we can have multiple AA's this year. Call me crazy. This staff doesn't need to light the world on fire but they need to have some very tangible success this year IMO

Simmons, Storr, Colbray, Harrington. I think we'll see at least one of those four AA. Possibly more than one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Simmons, Storr, Colbray, Harrington. I think we'll see at least one of those four AA. Possibly more than one of them.
I think whoever we put out there at 33 could AA for us. Most likely going to be Simmons but Parker and Gomez both have the talent to do it. Agree on Storr and Colbray and really want it for Harrington but I have a hard time seeing it. Think he's got a good shot to qualify and maybe win a few but can't see him doing more than that. I really want to be proven wrong though.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Harrington definitely has the talent. If his confidence is restored he can AA for sure. Needs to get his offense going. Kids a brute.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think whoever we put out there at 33 could AA for us. Most likely going to be Simmons but Parker and Gomez both have the talent to do it. Agree on Storr and Colbray and really want it for Harrington but I have a hard time seeing it. Think he's got a good shot to qualify and maybe win a few but can't see him doing more than that. I really want to be proven wrong though.

He (along with half the lineup) was cutting way, way, way too much last year. I think the move to HWT is going to be very positive for him.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Are we conceding HWT to Harrington over Gremmel? Any word in how they compare in the room? The other weight I have high hopes for is 49. Degan and Dante should really push each other. The winner there should be a tough out and push for Rd 12, I would think.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron