Let's get Fred Hoiberg!

52ynnel

Jan 5, 2009
Re: Pollard

I wasn't behind Pollard to begin with but I think he is doing good things building up the $ base. Chizik & McDermott were not good choices but face it Rhoads is an excellent choice and an Atheletic Department is nothing without $. He's hitting his stride now.

A little early to call the Rhoads hire "excellent". Time will tell.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

Just about every school in the midwest with an opening wanted McDermott when ISU hired him. You can't blame Pollard for what's going on. I blame the coaches and the players. McDermott recruited a pretty solid front line for UNI (Eglseder and Koch) but hasn't been able to do the same thing for ISU. We don't have anyone with the strength of those two guys. Brackins is more of a SF type in my opinion. I don't understand why we only seem to be interested in recruiting guards over the last three years. Hamilton has a nice touch but he's not nearly aggressive enough.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa

We didn't have a lot of options after Morgan was gone. We were looking at recruiting violations and basically had no returning talent. Pollard did what he could.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

Everyone can make mistakes in hiring someone. Getting fooled is easy. The problem lies in not knowing when to cut your losses and get rid of that hire. It's time for JP to step up, admit he made a mistake and look for a new Basketball coach.

I actually like what JP has done here. I still believe Chizik was the right hire at the time. I look at what he's done getting excitement for the the teams we have and drumming up some much needed cash. If he doesn't get rid of McD though, we better hope our football team ends up being the real deal, because Mens basketball will be non existent at ISU in 2 years under McD.

52ynnel

Jan 5, 2009

Just about every school in the midwest with an opening wanted McDermott when ISU hired him. You can't blame Pollard for what's going on. I blame the coaches and the players. McDermott recruited a pretty solid front line for UNI (Eglseder and Koch) but hasn't been able to do the same thing for ISU. We don't have anyone with the strength of those two guys. Brackins is more of a SF type in my opinion. I don't understand why we only seem to be interested in recruiting guards over the last three years - with Hamilton being the only real exception.

Where is the proof that all these teams wanted him. I hear that from our fans but I have never seen any statements from other administrators at different universities backing this up. I think Jamie told everyone Greg was a hot comodity and we all ran with that.

sdcyfan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 12, 2006
Rapid City, SD

Don't like Pollard or McDermott. But I know we're stuck with Pollard. I hope JP has enough sense to fire McDermott, but I know better. People always want to give JP credit for hiring PR, but he wouldn't have even been able to do that if Chizik didn't up and LEAVE US. Heck, I think I read somewhere when all of that went down that JP was going to give Chizik an extension. Pollard has really brought us to the toilet in athletics with his coaching hires.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

We didn't have a lot of options after Morgan was gone. We were looking at recruiting violations and basically had no returning talent. Pollard did what he could.

Ya, I would like to know who people think we could have gotten. Mac had had success and in all honesty was near the top end of what we could have gotten. I would say Chizik was a hire that also made sense. Two undefeated seasons as a DCoord, with on NC. That was pretty solid. There really wasn't a way to tell that he can't coach kids up. I like Pollard. He has increased the budget and with the exception of Mac seems to have great coaches when all sports are considered. I don't think this season is over although a lot of people are writing it off. There needs to be an attitude change on this team. Someone needs to step up and create a tougher attitude. That's not Mac's style so it will have to be a player.

I love Craig but I just do not see the leadership I would like to see out of an All American surrounded by inexperience.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Don't like Pollard or McDermott. But I know we're stuck with Pollard. I hope JP has enough sense to fire McDermott, but I know better. People always want to give JP credit for hiring PR, but he wouldn't have even been able to do that if Chizik didn't up and LEAVE US. Heck, I think I read somewhere when all of that went down that JP was going to give Chizik an extension. Pollard has really brought us to the toilet in athletics with his coaching hires.

Looked like brand new toilets to me.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
no McD doesn't take the shots, but he coached and mostly recruited the players who did, and he allowed them the playing time to take the shot

PJZ

Dec 17, 2007
Just about every school in the midwest with an opening wanted McDermott when ISU hired him.

At this point, I bet they are pretty glad that they didnt get him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron