Let's Calm Down a Little Bit...

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
How about firing up a little bit and believing. KU could be overlooking us, we are certainly not the team that played Texas anymore after the last 4 games, and I absolutely believe we can beat Kansas. You people that don't see we have a chance need to quit being the cyclone fans of the last 30 years and realized things changed 4 games ago and we will compete. I am packing my bags and will be present...I encourage all true cyclone fans to do the same. This is better than a bowl game, this is a shot at a BCS top 5 program. Beat them and we are on the front of every sports page in the country...except maybe in the rag where Iowa over Western Michigan would be on the front. We will be buried on page 5 in black and white with a photo of Troy Davis or something from 10 years ago.

AMEN BROTHER!!

-Hulk Hogan-

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
The one thing KU has that we do not is a great corner. They are going to have Taliq Azid on Blythe all day, so the other guys are really going to have to step up. But hey, this is our bowl game now.

What about Allen Bell?? He may not be great yet, but he is already a very good corner.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
This game has upset written all over it. KU is a good team but part of me looks at their schedule and just laughs. They have played no one. KU will also be looking ahead to mizzou. This is a young team that has never handled succes like this and they will be looking ahead. ISU has continued to improve and is due for a national upset. We really haven't had one since 1992. Plus there is always the revenge factor. These seniors remember what happened in 2005 and 2006.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I think we will have one minor advantage. This is our last game of the season and our most widely televised game. No one is going to hold back so that they won't miss the next game from a big hit. No exotic plays are being held back for the game next week. No thoughts are focused on playing a more challenging opponent later in the season. For ISU, this is the final round of a boxing match; for KU, it's just the 7th or 8th round. When we need a first down, we'll not run out of bounds or slide to avoid contact. When we make a hit, players will get up slowly. We a ball is thrown over the middle, we'll make the catch and get hit. We've got 6 months to lick our wounds after the game, they don't.

I hope we don't make a lot of reckless throws or blitzes, but this is our last chance for ISU to show the country that we aren't afraid of anyone.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
People didn't think we had a chance of keeping it within 30 of Oklahoma, either. We okay that game.

Some things will definitely have to go our way . We'll have to win the turnover battle that result in some short fields, be able to run the ball early, Brandtner will have to have a solid game because field position could be big if we keep it close, and we absolutely have to pressure their QB. Our pressure against Colorado was pretty bad.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
While the odds are not that great for us to win, I still wouldn't be surprised to see us win. I don't think it's likely, but it's definitely possible. Especially after seeing this team play and improve over the past month. Our team is playing some pretty good football right now when they decide to. If they decide to play a full 4 quarters against KU, then I'd say anything is possible in that game.

Go State!

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I'm not sure we will be able to pressure Reesing effectively. He is great at avoiding the rush. They also have a great ground game. Oh, and they have a top 5 defense on top of everything. I think we hang around for 3 quarters and KU pulls away in the 4th.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Kanas won't be overlooking us IMO. This is a team that hasn't been in this spot ever. My guess is that Mangino won't let them look forward to the following week against Missouri.

But I do agree that the pressure is 100% on them. We have absolutely nothing to lose which is our biggest advantage.

mnclonefan

Nov 6, 2007
Win or lose against Kansas, I am proud of these players and coaching staff!!

This team was 1-6 following a 53 point loss to Texas. They had a ridiculous upcoming schedule against the likes of Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas. (Kansas State and Colorado were no push overs either) The players could have easily quit. Why not, they had nothing to play for...right?

Well, guess what? All they did was come out and play Oklahoma and Missouri as tough as any team has all year. Following those 2 well fought losses they could have given up again. Instead, this team played with the same heart and drive as a team fighting for a bowl bid.

Again this team found themselves down, but not out. They came out of halftime and overcame a 21 point deficit to win on Senior Day. This next weekend they will find themselves as large underdogs against Kansas. The odds are obviously against them, and they may have little chance to win.

After seeing the fight in this team throughout the season, I will not bet against them on Saturday. The future looks bright for the Cyclones.

Go State!

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I'm just happy to see people discussing what it would take to hang with Kansas or even beat them. I welcome any reasoned, thought out argument for how that could happen, but for anybody to just say "Kansas will overlook us" is shortsighted, in my opinion.

Kansas is not Oklahoma or Texas or USC. I don't think anybody on that team thinks they're entitled to a win simply because they are who they are. I think they're going to be focused and determined in every game they have left on their schedule. The whole country is waiting for them to screw up. For every person who doubts ISU's chances in this game (myself included), there are dozens more who doubt KU's chances at winning the remainder of their games. So I agree that the pressure is all on them, but they know that, too. They'll be playing with at least as big a chip on their shoulder as we will on ours.

As for the argument that we're "due" for a major upset win, there is no football god watching from some place who's thinking, "well, ISU hasn't had a big win in a while, so let's give them one." If our team is going to beat a national championship contender, it's not just going to happen. They have to make it happen. I think most of the people here agree with me on that much.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think we will play hard and compete and give it our all for the full 60 minutes, but honestly, seeing predictions of scores like ISU 35, Kansas 21 makes some of us look as delusional as we always accuse the Hawkeye faithful of being.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
KU looks very good in the games that I have seen them play, I am impressed with their Defense. Plus ISU does not match up well against the spread offense (see: Texas, Tech, and Mizzou games). However ISU matches up with a more traditional offense (See: OU, Iowa, CU, and KSU).

In the same breathe, I want to see some revenge of a good bowl game and a BIG 12 championship appearance ripped from our grasp 2 years ago. Nothing like knocking them out of the BCS championship game running. GO CLONES, KILL THE HAWKS!

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
In the same breathe, I want to see some revenge of a good bowl game and a BIG 12 championship appearance ripped from our grasp 2 years ago. Nothing like knocking them out of the BCS championship game running. GO CLONES, KILL THE HAWKS!

Was the BIG 12 Championship appearance ripped from our grasp or did we just kick the BIG 12 Championship appearance wide right? That's how I remember it being.

Not that I don't want to beat KU. But beat them for the right reason.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron