Lawrence KS eating establishments before game

HappyJoe

Jan 21, 2014
Des Moines
We have a group of 4 coming down from Central Iowa and will be doing a Mass St pub crawl wearing the cardinal and gold proudly. Promise to buy a round if we run into other Cyclones. You know, after we get a little confidence back on Saturday, I think the KU game could turn into something special.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Don't venture off of Mass Street... there are enough food choices there for a year in itself.

First time in Lawrence: Free State Brewery
Burger: The Burger Stand at the Casbah
Chinese: Encore Cafe
Italian (not pizza): Intorno
Pizza: Papa Kenos
Bar food: Jefferson's

Other good choices: Merchants; Fuzzy's Taco; 715

This pretty much sums up what we got down here in Larryville (my favs). If you want to go to Free State, just call ahead. Since game is at 8pm, I suggest you to head out to Free State little after 5 (probably call at 5). Jefferson's GM used to be Iowa State alum, not sure if he is still there. He is super nice to Close fans.

If you are lost or need anything, let me know. There are plenty of Cyclones down here to help ya out, plus I am only few blocks away!

Last edited:

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Grab a drink at Ricks and wear your ISU gear proud. The owner has a ton of respect for Ames/ISU. We were treated like royalty there before the 2012 football game.

To quote him: Ames is a son of a *****. Always have a good time in that town.

He's always drunk but super friendly (can be extra friendly to female customers). Love him!

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
So let me get this, you want to eat in Lawrence with your Cyclone gear on? And then go to a game a Phog Boo Arena? If you're gonna be stupid ... You'd better be tough!

You have idiotic fans anywhere you go. Just ignore those idiotic Jayhawk fans. Most of them are friendly, so no worries.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I don't think anyone eats before the basketball game in Lawrence. After they beat us, they will have a séance while they eat your children. Don't bring your kids.
There were several some OSU fans sitting near us at the game last weekend and no one said a word to them, even when we were punking them by 19. Same with the Kansas State game. KU fans treat visitors politely at basketball games from what I have seen. I don't recommend sitting in the middle of the student section, but you wouldn't be able to get a seat there anyways.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
So let me get this, you want to eat in Lawrence with your Cyclone gear on? And then go to a game a Phog Boo Arena? If you're gonna be stupid ... You'd better be tough!
People will ignore you so long as you aren't a drunken idiot. I actually had a nice chat with the couple sporting Okie State colors at last Saturday's game. They were very nice and also weren't fans of Smart's antics.

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
We have a group of 4 coming down from Central Iowa and will be doing a Mass St pub crawl wearing the cardinal and gold proudly. Promise to buy a round if we run into other Cyclones. You know, after we get a little confidence back on Saturday, I think the KU game could turn into something special.

Agree with the confidence and proudly wearing cardinal and gold, will look for you and the beer offer. 2 of us coming from Ames with business in KC that day then pick up a colleague in KC. Been 29 years since I was at KU Allen Fieldhouse

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Can anyone recommend the best place to park for this game? I assume Lot 90 is likely donor parking. So where do you go?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Can anyone recommend the best place to park for this game? I assume Lot 90 is likely donor parking. So where do you go?

Lot 90 is season ticket holder only. You can park on the streets in the neighborhoods south of the Fieldhouse for free if you get there early enough and don't mind the walk.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Lots of houses along 19th street sell parking in their driveways if street parking is full. Reasonably short walk to the Fieldhouse. Mass St is the way to go for food and beers but The Wheel is a better option for walking straight to the game if that's what you want. It gets pretty crowded if I remember right.

Since you're sitting in GA the students might boo you a little bit but otherwise you'll be fine in ISU gear. I survived last year's game without too much trouble. They let students in before GA so you'll be behind most of them but I would still recommend getting there early unless you want to literally sit among the rafters.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Lots of houses along 19th street sell parking in their driveways if street parking is full. Reasonably short walk to the Fieldhouse. Mass St is the way to go for food and beers but The Wheel is a better option for walking straight to the game if that's what you want. It gets pretty crowded if I remember right.

Since you're sitting in GA the students might boo you a little bit but otherwise you'll be fine in ISU gear. I survived last year's game without too much trouble. They let students in before GA so you'll be behind most of them but I would still recommend getting there early unless you want to literally sit among the rafters.

How early is early

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron