Latest Terrance Lewis tweet

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've hyped THT as much as anyone else and think he is going to be an absolute stud. Honestly curious though who do you think he unseats as a starter? Wigginton? Shayok? Babb who will be the longest tenured player in our program? I don't know. Unless we shift to a four guard starting lineup which is certainly possible who knows...

Babb or Young. More likely Babb.

• Funny
Reactions: CyBri

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wigginton and Burnett are both at 40% fg. Lindell higher from 3, and Burnett higher from 2. Burnett's ft% is higher, which is why his total % is higher. I'll take my chances Lindell can increase his ft% before Burnett can increase his 3 point%.
And according to your previous posts, our needs are a 3 point shooter for next year. How do either of these improve that?

Doesn't matter, this argument is almost as dumb as Oskaloosa's geographical location.
If you’re going to object to my dream list, at least have sound logic.

You’ll take your chances Wigginton will improve? That’s completely subjective, but more importantly, completely irrelevant, unless you think it’s an either/or and a team can only have one guard that is a good shooter.

How does Burnett improve our shooting? Well, Burnett is a good shooter, what part of that don’t you understand? His aggregated true, effective, and raw shooting is good. He’s 20th in the SEC in 3P% and 12th in 3P makes. Also 12th in scoring and 5th in assists. As a good shooting combo, he fits our need in the backcourt. We don’t need a Lucca.

Further, if you notice I also had Daum in the list. So I’m adding two good shooting players in Burnett and Daum, a stretch and a combo, which is consistent with my previous posts.

Cunningham is a flexible guy that is tough and can play multiple positions. With Daum and Burnett taking care of the needs, I went with the best available guy that I knew could be a grad transfer. You’re nuts if you think we would not benefit from having him.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Iowa State has played in 25 games this season and Lard has played in 23 of them. He has also averaged 25 minutes a game and a lot of lost time was due to foul trouble. So don't make this out to be something it isn't.
Something it isn’t? Beverly started 13 games and averaged 20 minutes halfway through the year. Benching doesn’t mean not playing, does it?

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Mike Daum is an incredible player. Would have offers from all of the blue bloods if he did by chance grad transfer. Loved TJ Otz and think he's a great man but have a hard time believing he'd advise Daum to head to Iowa State. Could be wrong.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Mike Daum is an incredible player. Would have offers from all of the blue bloods if he did by chance grad transfer. Loved TJ Otz and think he's a great man but have a hard time believing he'd advise Daum to head to Iowa State. Could be wrong.
NBA or SDSt imo

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The real crazy thing is that Lewis is EXACTLY the type of player we are in desperate need of this year and next year too. A sharp shooter. He just hasn't been able to get comfortable out there yet and get in rhythm and build some confidence. I blame Prohm some for not giving him enough run, but Terrence will have to improve his defense if he wants to get more run IMO.

If he can become not be a liability on defense, he will get his minutes and eventually will shine as our 3 point marksman IMO.

It also didn't help that he and Lard both got into some kind of trouble with Prohm before the season even started and he was suspended from his first game. That isn't the way to earn playing time either. So he may have to adjust his attitude and effort level a bit too.

But I pray he doesn't leave, because as I said to begin with, he's exactly what this team desperately needs now and in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: marvisn and ATCy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Beverly comes in for Lard or Young. Do you really want to see Long or Lewis covering Wade or Mawien, Svi or Udoka, Smith or Odiase, Manek or Lattin, Konate or Harris, Clark or Acuil, etc.?

Missed this earlier. Yes. Do you remember what Dean Wade did to us? How about Ostekowski? It isn't getting worse than that and at least we have some sort of advantage on the other end.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Beverly comes in for Lard or Young. Do you really want to see Long or Lewis covering Wade or Mawien, Svi or Udoka, Smith or Odiase, Manek or Lattin, Konate or Harris, Clark or Acuil, etc.?

The real issue is that there's a lot of Big 12 players with names that are difficult to know how to pronounce.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Missed this earlier. Yes. Do you remember what Dean Wade did to us? How about Ostekowski? It isn't getting worse than that and at least we have some sort of advantage on the other end.

That was super early. Our defense has tightened substantially since December/early January.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That was super early. Our defense has tightened substantially since December/early January.

No it hasn't. I need to start screen-shoting ranking weekly so I can go back and look but we're 8th in the conference in adjD and 139th in the nation. We don't foul and Lard blocks shots. If you remove Lard, it get's really ugly. We don't force any turnovers, we don't pressure the ball and we put little pressure on an offense. We also don't rebound well. We are literally bad at everything that matters except blocking shots which is the work of one person and even then, we're average. Let's just say we are better at not allowing 3s, which is the mark of a good 3P defense team, which we aren't, it's not because of Beverly. At the end of the day, there's next to zero downside defensively in replacing bench minutes between guys.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and acgclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
No it hasn't. I need to start screen-shoting ranking weekly so I can go back and look but we're 8th in the conference in adjD and 139th in the nation. We don't foul and Lard blocks shots. If you remove Lard, it get's really ugly. We don't force any turnovers, we don't pressure the ball and we put little pressure on an offense. We also don't rebound well. We are literally bad at everything that matters except blocking shots which is the work of one person and even then, we're average. Let's just say we are better at not allowing 3s, which is the mark of a good 3P defense team, which we aren't, it's not because of Beverly. At the end of the day, there's next to zero downside defensively in replacing bench minutes between guys.
You've only used stretch fours to justify your point. Not many Big 12 teams have a true stretch four, or a backup one that Beverly might be more likely to match up with. You certainly don't want Long, Talley, or Lewis on a traditional four. And besides Talley, who is first off the bench, any difference in offensive output from Lewis or Long doesn't make up for the total mismatch they would be defending in that lineup.

If Brase were healthy I'd want him to have almost all of Beverley's minutes, but he isn't I'm fully behind Prohm giving Beverley those minutes. And Brase has been some kind of hurt more or less all year. Plus, I'm pretty sure we were last in adjusted D five games into conference play.

The defense has improved over the course of the year. It's still not good, but it's improved.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You've only used stretch fours to justify your point. Not many Big 12 teams have a true stretch four, or a backup one that Beverly might be more likely to match up with. You certainly don't want Long, Talley, or Lewis on a traditional four. And besides Talley, who is first off the bench, any difference in offensive output from Lewis or Long doesn't make up for the total mismatch they would be defending in that lineup.

If Brase were healthy I'd want him to have almost all of Beverley's minutes, but he isn't I'm fully behind Prohm giving Beverley those minutes. And Brase has been some kind of hurt more or less all year. Plus, I'm pretty sure we were last in adjusted D five games into conference play.

The defense has improved over the course of the year. It's still not good, but it's improved.

Not enough to matter. Nothing like last year. I don't care who it is playing the 4. First of all, I'm not sure Beverly actually plays bigger than Long anyway and second of all he can't stretch the floor or do anything with the ball. At least if Long is in there they have to think about him making a three. And hey, with our defense, if you want to send your traditional 6'8 guy down to the post and have him take contested shots down there, have at it. In fact, I'd consider putting Long or Lewis on those guys just to entice them to do that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not enough to matter. Nothing like last year. I don't care who it is playing the 4. First of all, I'm not sure Beverly actually plays bigger than Long anyway and second of all he can't stretch the floor or do anything with the ball. At least if Long is in there they have to think about him making a three. And hey, with our defense, if you want to send your traditional 6'8 guy down to the post and have him take contested shots down there, have at it. In fact, I'd consider putting Long or Lewis on those guys just to entice them to do that.

Yeah, Long is quicker and I'm sure can jump higher. Beverly can surely hold position better on the block, but in order to hold position, you have to get position, and I can't honestly remember many people trying to post him up. Seems like they take him outside. Of course, they might take Long inside, but I think Long inside might be a better defensive option than Beverly outside (and don't misconstrue my observation as critical of Jeff, as I like him and the work he puts in, he's just limited).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah, Long is quicker and I'm sure can jump higher. Beverly can surely hold position better on the block, but in order to hold position, you have to get position, and I can't honestly remember many people trying to post him up. Seems like they take him outside. Of course, they might take Long inside, but I think Long inside might be a better defensive option than Beverly outside (and don't misconstrue my observation as critical of Jeff, as I like him and the work he puts in, he's just limited).

I'm not going to take it as a sure thing it's easier to post up Long over Beverly either. Long is a big dude.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
One guy is 240 lbs, one is about 210 at most. Defending in the post isn't all about length, otherwise you'd see Prohm stick Talley down there far more often. Long or Lewis would have to front the whole game, they'd get sealed, and it would turn into a dunkfest. Beverley gives them a fighting chance of keeping them from catching the ball in the paint. If Prohm thought any of what you said was viable, he'd already be doing it, imo.